TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Question about your set up Dimented24x7

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's
Question about your set up Dimented24x7

Dimented24x7.....I have a question about the system you came up with. I am interested in trying it, but will the LS1 pcm work with the factory TBI setup, chip, etc? Also, how would you integrate the MAF into the TBI harness? I also wanted to know if I converted to this setup, would the GM hot cam work without custom tuning? Just want a little more pep out of my TBI, but without a lot of trouble. By the way, it's a 92 camaro with a 92 truck 350 TBI and computer. Would a 93-95 pcm just plug right into that setup?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
If the 350 is stock and the same as a truck, then a 350 TBI truck PCM would essentially be a direct swap. Youll need to repin it and check off the options to use the non-CC transmission stuff in the prom. I dont know if it would give any improvements in power, but the drivability would likely be better as its much more sophisticated then the stock TBI ECMs.

The 93-95 PCMs where a cross-over, it had all the old provisions as well as alot of new hardware that the later PCMs have. One input that it has is for the transmission output shaft speed. This input is the same as the MAF input on the PCMs that had MAF. On the hardware side, it was as simple as plugging the MAF into the PCM. Just needed power and a signal wire. There was also the small issue that it had to be reprogramed entirely since it was never meant to use a MAF .

One caveat with any system, though, is that once you touch anything on or in the motor, you have to recalibrate the computer. With MAF, the fueling will be ok as its just like a carb in that it doesnt really care all that much whats under it. But, the steady state fueling is just the tip of the iceburg. There are literally hundreds of things in the PCM that will need to be calibrated when you add lots of hi-po parts to the motor. The crank fueling, accel enrich and temperature compensation, the PID idle and throttle follower routines, spark advance tables... the list goes on and on. Its not impossible, but it takes at least a month or two to get everything back in line and running smoothly.

If your looking for some easy mods that make a big difference, things like a full 3" exhaust, headers, shift kit, and gears + posi, if you havnt done this already. Also getting prom burnign equipemnt and making some minor changes to the fuel and spark tables can really add extra power. The stock tune sucks. You should be able to get around 250 HP at the crank by doing the above without having to touch the motor.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LS1
Is there a limit as to how much boost one can run using superchargers ?

Once I'm done installing the replacement engine I think I'll convert to the MAF as well, since certain things, such as LACK of speed density system, makes it all seem so much easier.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Supreme Member

The only real limit fueling wise is that the air per cylinder maxes out at 2 grams per cylinder. The PCM isnt set up for boost, though. I was thinking of making the spark tables based on the mass of air per cylinder instead of MAP and adding in support for a 2-bar MAP at some point.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's
The car does already have headers, catback, 3.23's with posi, but now I have the need for more power, as high 14's are not exactly something to be proud of, haha. Dont get me wrong, it's a great highway car, and has decent power, but I want at least a 13 second car to keep with most of whats on the road these days. I would hate to go carbed, but at this point, I may have to because switching to a TPI setup would be just too much for the time beeing. I also dont know if I want to get into chip burning, because I really dont understand any of that.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

With either TPI/TBI/MPFI, youll likely have to get into chip burning. The carb is definatly easier. On the flip side though, the carb only really works in fair, 75 degree sunny days and holleys are crude at best when it comes to metering fuel. The EFI will work year around, and can meter fuel with an error of less then 2% when its set up properly, but its more complex. Burning proms isnt impossible, but it does require some time to learn how to do it. More then anything else it requires a good understanding of how engines work. Thats usually where most of the learning curve lies.