TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Edelbrock TBI intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock TBI intake

Hi,

A few years ago, I installed a Edelbrock TBI intake manifold on my '88 Camaro. It never ran right (EGR code). I ended up taking it off because it was really messing things up. Did I miss something real stupid? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2001, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Maybe this info can help you:

I just recently got one used and I noticed that inside each of the throttle bores was a square hole about 1/2 x 1/4 which looked like someone did a hack job on it. I've been having difficulty setting up a webpage through Geocities in order to show pictures here. Send me an email if you want to see what I am talking about.

I've examined the holes and they don't seem to serve any function as far as I can tell. I took them to a machine shop and the mechanic there said he had seen them before but did not know why they were there. I finally emailed Edelbrock and they said they were there for the EGR function.

------------------
92 Camaro RS LO3, 5-spd, T-tops
Performance:
SLP 1 3/4" Headers (Coated by Paul Barry Motorsports), Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Fastchip Performance PROM, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Xact 8mm wires, Open Air Element w/K&N Filter, Z28 Grille w/aftmkt fog lamps
Electronics:
Alpine 8030 Alarm System, Valentine One Radar Detector (How did I ever drive without one?), Pioneer DEH 7450 Head Unit w/6-pack CD changer, Pioneer DEQ 7600 Sound Processor, 2 Kenwood KAC-846 Amps powering 2 12" Pro Red subs, 2 Pioneer 6x9 and 2 MTX 4x6 speakers.
NEXT UP: TBI mods, Edelbrock performer intake
Old 03-25-2001, 04:54 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe you used intake manifold gaskets that have the EGR ports blocked off. When my friend bought a Trick Flow intake for his 88GT they said "these are the gasekts you need" so we put them on. They had the EGR blocked off. Whoooops . If He doesn't pass come smog time I was thinking we could put a thick copper wire thorugh the EGR passage so it pokes a hole through the gasket.

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6
[soon to have Hooker 1-5/8" 50 state legal headers installed]

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, Milodon 160* thermo, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz
Old 03-28-2001, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I unfortunately can't remember what the gaskets looked like, so you are probably correct about the lack of EGR holes.

Any ideas about the hesitation?

Yes, I would like to see a picture of the holes in the manifold. You said email me, but what is your email address?

Later!
Old 03-28-2001, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

You could get my email address by clicking on one of the icons above my post....but here it is:

pukka@excite.com
Old 03-29-2001, 11:25 AM

OH, ok. Still kind'a new at this. Thanks
Old 04-15-2001, 10:34 PM

I ordered the edelbrock TBI manifold and had similar holes in the throttle bores. I called edelbrock and went through as many Tech's as I could. Bottom line, these holes are the water jackets!!!!! Edelbrock was required to run water into the "Box" on the TBi manifolds to meet emissions. The walls between the water jackets and the throttle bores is EXTREMELY thin. I tested it out and found that if I filled up the water intakes the water would run out the holes in the throttle bores. I talked to edelbrocks warantee manager and he mad a point of tell me not to use the manifold!! It would pump water into the engine and they had no problem replacing it immediatly. so if ya still got that manifold get it warranted. Do not use it...........bob

------------------
91 camaro RS L03 convert,
t-5, ultimate TBI mods,TBI spacer,SLP 1 5/8 headers,
3"cat back, 3.42 torsen posi,alston SFC's,Global West LCA relocation brackets, edelbrock STB
Old 04-15-2001, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

The ecm does not need to have egr. You just need egr to pass smog if the tech checks it.
The ecm just looks for the current draw from the egr solenoid. If you are throwing an egr code the problem is the solenoid is either open or shorted. It is probably open, or the power to it is open. If it works electrically, the ecm doesn't know or care what the egr does.
Old 04-15-2001, 11:49 PM

If there are holes in the throttle bores of the Edelbrock intake it was either defective from the factory or someone tried to bore it out and hit the water jackets. I just got my new edelbrock TBI intake and it had the holes in the bores when I opened it. The techs and the warrantee manager at edelbrock said they are not supposed to be there and they are sending me a new one. I taped up the water outlets and put some water in the water intakes and sure enough it came out of the holes in the throttle bores!! Edelbrock had to run water in the "box" part of the manifold to meet emissions so the throttle bore walls are EXTREMELY thin.............bob

------------------
91 camaro RS L03 convert,
t-5, ultimate TBI mods,TBI spacer,SLP 1 5/8 headers,
3"cat back, 3.42 torsen posi,alston SFC's,Global West LCA relocation brackets, edelbrock STB
Old 04-16-2001, 03:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
what do these holes have to do with the original question? forgive me if i missed something.

the stock manifold has them too its to draw out egr gas into the plenum

If you got the egr code that just means the ecm wasnt seeing the vacuum drop when it commands the egr to open (thats how it tests itself, when the egr opens there is a small increase in manifold pressure) if it doesnt see this it trips a code

theres nothing it would really mess up not working other than just having too much timing at part throttle.. should run fine at WOT. If it was hesitating you have another problem
Old 04-16-2001, 10:03 AM

Sorry, it didn't take my first post so I had to write it over, then both of them showed up........bob
Old 04-16-2001, 10:10 AM

Pablo, I was responding to Pukka's comment on the holes in the throttle bores based on what edelbrock told me. If you are telling me they are supposed to be there then I am getting a bunch of BS from edelbrock. Just thought I would bring it up to maybe save someone a problem.I am going to check the new manifold and see if it has them. ...........bob
Old 04-16-2001, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Rsilver, the guy at Edelbrock was BSing you.
Since I haven't yet installed mine, I decided to test your theory by simply injecting water through the upper radiator hose connection and watching were the water came out...not through the holes in the bores. I then squirted water into the 2 EGR holes where the EGR valve connects to. When I tried the top hole water came out of the two holes on the bottom of the manifold (where it would connect to the heads). When I tried the bottom hole water came out the holes in the TBI bore. If you have one of these manifolds, try it and see for your self. If you don't have these holes then you will certainly get EGR faults lighting up the SES light.
The reason I brought this up is because the holes I have looked like someone did a hack job on them....I would guess that if Edelbrock does this the holes would look much better.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

If you are indeed getting water coming out of the holes in the TBI bore and you are not putting water into the EGR hole then you probably have a defective manifold. What I don't understand is how they could tell you that the throttle bores needed water jackets around them for emissons
Old 04-16-2001, 05:48 PM

Pukka, man did Edelbrock Jack me around! I wasted a hell of a lot of time on this thinking I had a defective manifold. I got another one today and it has the exact same holes in the throttle bores. ON top of it, when I did the water test, guess where I poured the water, ahhhhh, f*** in the EGR passages so the water came out of the throttle bores like its supposed to.Oh well, at least I am not as dumb as the guys from edelbrock cause its THEIR product. I talked to THREE techs at edelbrock after being on hold for 15 minuits
and then talked to their warrantee guy and they all Got it WRONG!!!
Once again the guys on this board are the best and only source for info. Thank you very much for the help...........bob
Old 04-18-2001, 08:15 PM

Thanks for all of your responses on my question. This info. will be usefull if I choose to take this route again with my new Camaro.