TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI/ Air-gap manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBI/ Air-gap manifold???

Hey I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why tbi needs heat in the manifold???? Ive read alot, that the factory designed it to work with heat in the manifold. But all small blocks from the factory with a carb came that way as well!!!! Ive run my current combo in -15degrees c, with a 600 cfm carb and i will admit that i had a little carb icing for the first 5min of warm up. After that it was fine though. Im now going to put this engine in with a tbi set up and was wondering if it is going to be any different?? and why??? I have had luck in the winter running a heat riser off of the headers to the underside of the airgap in the manifold and that cured the problem for the winter months. Easy fix I thought??? Any ideas if this will work with tbi as well. Any help is appreciated. Buy the way this is my engine combo- Stock 4bolt main bottom end 350 with 461 camel hump heads edelbrock rpm airgap manifold with transdapt tbi adapter, comp xe256 cam, shorty stainless headers no cat and 3"single exhaust with delta40 muffler. I have an afpr,ultimate tbi mods open element k@n and some ignition work etc. Any thoughts???
Old 01-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Its a long story, but there are two reasons in a nutshell:

First, heat is needed to ensure that the fuel vaporizes in the manifold rather then pools along the bottom of the intake. This not only makes the engine run smoother, but reduces emmissions as there arent lean and rich spots in the cylinder.

Second is that the fuel in the manifold alters the intake air temperatures when it flashes to a vapor at low pressures. The ECM really has no way of compensating for this, so the solution is to heat the manifold and ensure a relatively constant intake air temp so the operating conditions are more uniform. With an air gap and a CAI, the fueling wont be consistant when its cold or hot out.