TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

HELP with open air element!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 10:13 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 425 Likes on 326 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
HELP with open air element!!!!

I know this has been covered before but I am still confused. I have no money but I still want a little more air. I already have a K&N filter in my stock TBI Snorkle. I want an open element that my K&N will drop in. I hear that they are only like 20 bucks or so and I can deffinately afford that. I don't want flash (crome) just simple effective (cheap) setup. I hear about "drop base" and "flat base" and I am confused!!!! Also once I get in there and take off the snorkel, I will remover the Spacer ring but what do I plug that thermac hose with? Is this mod as simple as it sounds or do I have to seal some stuff up here and there. I need to know what I must buy and do so that I can get this asap! My car is coming out of storage in two weeks when i come home for spring break and I can't wait to work on it and race some people!!!. Thx for helping me guys......this site is just wonderful
Old 02-27-2001, 10:15 PM
Supporter/Moderator

One more thing.. Can anyone recomned an aircleaner assembly that the K&N extreem lid will work on. I want all the air I can get!!!
Old 02-27-2001, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s
extreme lid will be blocked completely by YOUR HOOD :d

you would need a cowl or something to use that effectively.

Vacuum caps = cheap, any parts store. look at my tech article in my sig. read it. if you have any more questions email me. or im me. or icq me.

your stock sized filter isnt going to fit a 14" cheapo, its a different size, you will have to look into that, remember, you should always be able to take stuff back to the parts store as long as your dont damage the product or rip the box etc..

------------------
Dale Earnhardt, #3 has crossed the finish line with a victory.

IM: snflupigus | ICQ: 96787192

Snflupigus.com

Open Element Tech Article

ENGINE SPECS:
Stock Rating: 170bhp & 255ft-lbs
305 TBI,Open Element,K&N 14x3,Hypertech Stage I,454 GM TBI
Now Rating: A Little More

STEREO SPECS:
JVC Kalmeleon kdlx3,Infinity Kappa 2way 6x9's,PPI 4x6 Coaxials,PPI PC2400 AMP @ 2ohm
DEI Studio 12" 4ohm DVC,Custom Box:Exactly 1 Cubic Foot
Old 02-27-2001, 11:23 PM

it might be a lil hard to find a open element to fit the k&n you bought..
drop base is just like it says the bottom of the housing will actually drop and flat base is just flat. Everyone here recomends going with flat base i went with drop base i was in a hurry and didnt bother with it.
that extreme top flow fits on the top of any housing with that diameter if you want to go with a 14 inch or 9 inch or what ever. i hope i answered your questions.
in snufs signature he is the moderator of this tbi board he has a site about putting a open element in.. check his out.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by snflupigus:
extreme lid will be blocked completely by YOUR HOOD :d

you would need a cowl or something to use that effectively.

your stock sized filter isnt going to fit a 14" cheapo, its a different size, you will have to look into that, remember, you should always be able to take stuff back to the parts store as long as your dont damage the product or rip the box etc..
</font>
Ditto

Get the summit drop base air cleaner for $15. It's the cheapest because you advertise their name on the lid (like I care). One problem though....it's chrome . Kind of funny but the cheapest air cleaner is chrome, anybody else find that kind of odd? If you are handy with some air tools or a dremel then you could just hack the stock air cleaner to bits. Either cut larege rectangles in the side or drill many holes all BEFORE the K&N. If you need the part number for summit it's SUM-G3001. The darn part is free to ship but you need to pay tax. HAHA, sorry but I know a lot of guys from Dayton, I go to Ohio State but live in NJ where we DON'T call soda "pop," think of Tom Green saying "soooooduh" 4 or 5 times with the dumbest look on his face .
------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list)
Dale Earnhart, you have done so much, you will be missed.

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited February 28, 2001).]
Old 02-28-2001, 09:17 AM

I hepled a freind with his TBI formula so, first off you need the dropbase, and you'll have coble the IAT sensor in there too. I really wouldnt recomend open air simply for the fact it sucks in so much hot air, and we actually went back to the stock air cleaner, cot the air horn off about 4" from the filter housing, bent the tube into a 3" circle to accomodate the 3" flex tube and ran it to the headlight pocket. With the modified stock cleaner his 60ft times increased by .2 over the open air

------------------
1991 Z28 500hp383 TCI 700R4
Old 02-28-2001, 12:52 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Thanks for the help and the great step by step site snflupigus. My questions are now answered! How muh Hp am I am looking at over stock snorkel. I undertstand all the complexties of warm air vs. cold air (I am an engineering student and I know all about desities and specifictemperatures and specific volumes) and I know hot air will never perform as much as cold air but here is my theory; When you sit in traffic a warm air intake (open element) will not perform very well, however, when the car has reached a constant speed (highway or any speed over 35) the air under the hood and around the engine bay will be in constant circulation with outside air. This will allow your open element to suck up cooler air, hence becoming very effective. And the more you drive the more the air under the hood will reach ambient conditions of the outside. Does this make sense? Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2001, 01:54 AM

You don't need a drop base, I sure a heck didn't need one. I think the open air is the best mod you can do. $15+$1=easy and cheap mod with no trouble to install.

------------------
1992 305 TBI RS
Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, 14X2.5 open air element...and a T-5 on the way!
Old 03-01-2001, 09:37 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Now I have heard both sides of the story. Some say drop base and others say no drop base!!!! What should I buy????
Old 03-01-2001, 02:05 PM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s
drop bases are easier to find i think.

non drops, supposedly flow better

nothing you are gona notice between the two if somebody changed it from one to the other without you knowing.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Thx a bunch man, you have been nothing but the greatest help.. I appreciate it. I will just plan on getting that cheap summit one (part number listed in one of these posts)