TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Did L03 come with melonized ditrib gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001 | 01:01 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Did L03 come with melonized ditrib gear?

Does the stock L03 305 TBI from 91 have a melonized distributor gear? Yes or No, if no please tell me if it is possible to just buy the part (melonized distributor gear P/N 10456413) and put it on the distrib. Where on the internet are directions to do that because me and my friend have never had to change the gear.

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list)
Dale Earnhart, you have done so much, you will be missed.
Old 02-28-2001 | 01:12 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JPrevost:
Does the stock L03 305 TBI from 91 have a melonized distributor gear? Yes or No, if no please tell me if it is possible to just buy the part (melonized distributor gear P/N 10456413) and put it on the distrib. Where on the internet are directions to do that because me and my friend have never had to change the gear.
</font>
Yes, all '86+ roller cam distributors have the mellonized dist. gear, and yes, its available from GM.

------------------
Kelly 'GhoSSt' Rosato
1996 Impala SS, 383 LT4 (14.65 up here, 13.24 lower)
1984 Firebird, +.060 350 (Vortech Heads, HOT Cam, and schtuff)
1993 Caprice, 5.7 TBI (stock . . . FOR NOW)

"And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? Revenge. The villany you
teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the
instruction."

Shylock in Act III, Scene I of 'Merchant of Venice' by William Shakespeare
Old 02-28-2001 | 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

I don't think that distributor came with that gear, but I am not sure...

I'd change it to be safe, anyway.

To change the gear, make sure you are not in a bad mode to start this procedure. Then, you will see a roll pin in the gear below the gear teeth that mates the gear to the distributor shaft. That roll pin must be pounded out so that the gear may be removed. I put the gear's end on a block of wood (so that pin has enough room to come out a little) and have someone hold the cap-end of the distributor. Then, get a drift/punch/whatever and drive the pin out CAREFULLY!!! If you miss the punch, you can chip/destroy the gear! Then, when pin is out, remove the gear from the shaft BEING CAREFUL NOT TO LOOSE ANY SHIMS OR TO CHANGE THEIR LOCATION/ORIENTATION!!!

At this point you can either install the new gear but I usually disassemble the entire distributor and clean it with WD40, reinstall w/Mobil1, but you don't have to... Also a good time to make sure that the upper and lower bushings are not worn out!!! ie, the shaft is not loose in the bushing bores. If so, fix accordingly...

Next, START the roll pin a little into the new gears rollpin hole, being careful to not hurt the pin or gear. Then, slide the old shims back in their original position and then slide the new gear on, aligning the hole in the gear with the hole in the distributor shaft. Then, the hard part, drive the rollpin into its proper position.

It's not as hard as it sounds but sometimes you gotta WHACK that pin to get it started. You should also reshim the distributor for endplay while it is apart, especially if the gear you are removing loks a little funky, but if it was working ok before you took it apart, it'll work the same if yo uput the shims in the same place...

Have fun! and be clean with it.

EDIT: What Kelly said... c-ya'

[This message has been edited by FastBroker (edited February 28, 2001).]
Old 02-28-2001 | 04:30 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Thanks, the gear has 145K on it so I think I'm going to just do the change so I don't have to worry about it.

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list)
Dale Earnhart, you have done so much, you will be missed.