TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

What else could i do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What else could i do?

SORRY THIS IS LONG
I originally posted this in the racing forum...but noone answers there...so i need some help from fellow tbi'ers. Heres the deal. My freind has a 90 nissan 300zx non turbo, we raced last night and he kicked the **** out of me...by probly a good 5 cars up to 65-70. These cars came stock with 220 hp and about 400 lbs lighter then an fbody...so i expect him to win..but i used to keep up decently...untill he put in a new flywheel and clutch that are light and high performance. Anyways...i know im not gonna beat him, (that will come with the new 350 im building) but i want to at least come closer then that...I have a stock 91 l03 with only an open element and transgo shift kit. I plan on doing these things to try to beat him.

I was already planning on doing ultimate tbi mods this week(now im just more motivated), dumping in some injector cleaner, wire a fan switch to keep it cool, wire a TCC lockup switch, i need to adjust my tv cable, and i also need to take off my tranny pan to add another washer in the 2nd accumulator housing since my shifts werent hard enough after the transgo install. Im also going to check my timing...ive heard 4* retarded is best for our cars for a lot of people..anyone have any info on this? I also need to lose some weight...i have a bunch of crap in my car. Should i lose some tire pressure, because i was spinning em quite a bit? How much will that help on street?
About how many car lengths is .5? Ive heard you can lose .5 with ultimate tbi mods but am skeptical. What do you guys think...do you think these small things will be enough to hang with him? Im thinking my biggest two gains will be the ultimate tbi mods and TCC lockup. any other suggestions on cheap easy mods?
Old 02-13-2001, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

do you have posi and gears? some 3.73's along with an slp take out chunk would help a ton. knock the tire pressure down to like 26-28psi.
i am severe when it comes to weight, but losing the back seats and trying to run with less gas is always a good place to start. ditch the spare and jack too.

lata
tim

------------------
91 Camaro RS-LO3,Auto.
14.215@94.30 w/ 1.917 60'

Check Out The East Coast F-Body Nationals Home Page
www.geocities.com/njspeeder

My MAFB.ORG Home Page
www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=299

DSI Racing Home Page

www.geocities.com/foff667
Old 02-13-2001, 06:41 PM
Max

Car: '89 Camaro Convertible
Engine: LB9 Heads/LT1 Cam Holley 670 Carb
Transmission: T5 Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I think it depends on what consider cheap.
I put the lakewood control arms on and my car hooks up way better.

I was also thinking of swaping in a 350 but the cost and complexity of the swap sorta turn me off.

I found the NO2 offers a Nitrous Kit specifically designed for TBI v8s. I adds 120 horse which would probably be more than enough to smoke that Z. If you can hook up.

The control arms were $80. The Nitrous system is $550 which is not cheap unless you compare that to the price of a 350 swap.

Be advised that your car needs to be running tip top to withstand the stresses generated by a 120 HP shot.

------------------
Black 1989 RS Convertible w/43,000 mi.
Excellent Condition
LO3 305 w/TBI
12 PSI Fuel Pressure
6* Timing Advance
Open Element 14x3 K&N
Hypertech Thermomaster
160 Degree Thermostat
Low Temp Fan Switch
Eddlebrock RPM Muffler
No Cat/No AIR Injection
B&M Stage 2 Shift Kit
17"x8.5" ATP 5 Spoke Alloys
P 245/45 Goodyear Eagle
HP Ultra Plus Tires
Lakewood Control Arms
Lakewood Pan Hard Rod
Coming Soon:
3.73 Gears
Headmann Headers & Y Pipe
MSD Wires and Coil
Old 02-13-2001, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
NOt really any help but 300ZXs aren't 400LBS lighter. I wouldn't be surprised if it's about the same as yours.

------------------
Dare to be different-
build a 305! <gasp!>
Old 02-13-2001, 11:32 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Im also going to check my timing...ive heard 4* retarded is best for our cars for a lot of people..anyone have any info on this?</font>
You don't want to retard the timing. Maybe 4* advanced. I run mine 6* adv on the street and about 8* at the track with a mix of pump gas and 100 octane. 4* retarded will make the car much more slugglish than even the factory 0*.

------------------
82 Z28 350, Ported #882 Heads, Performer RPM cam and intake, hedman headers,650 Demon carb,
Trans: Turbo 350 w/ 4000 stall -- Rearend 7.5 w/ Richmond 4.10's, Auburn Minispool
Best ET: 12.52@107.2
Future plans: Dart headed, Roller cammed 383 in early '01

89 RS, L03 305, Hypertech Chip,cat delete, Dynomax exhaust,K&N open element Filter,160 stat, MSD coil --Trans:700R4 Corvette Servo -- Rearend: 7.5 GM 3.42 w/ posi-lock
New Best ET: 14.91 @92.9
Bassett Racing
Mid Atlantic F Body -82 Z28 Page

[This message has been edited by Basett Racing (edited February 13, 2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 11:43 PM

P.S. another cheap mod would be a cut-out before the convertor. I'm assuming since you live in Ca., you have to pass emissions, but if you had a cut-out welded in before the convertor, you could uncap the exhaust, and pick up a lot. I picked up 1.2 tenths and 1 mph at the track running mine uncapped. I had people tell me this would not make any difference, but I took the car one weekend and the car ran a 15.03 @ 92, and the very next week, in very similiar weather conditions, with the exhaust uncapped the car went 14.91 @ 92.9

------------------
82 Z28 350, Ported #882 Heads, Performer RPM cam and intake, hedman headers,650 Demon carb,
Trans: Turbo 350 w/ 4000 stall -- Rearend 7.5 w/ Richmond 4.10's, Auburn Minispool
Best ET: 12.52@107.2
Future plans: Dart headed, Roller cammed 383 in early '01

89 RS, L03 305, Hypertech Chip,cat delete, Dynomax exhaust,K&N open element Filter,160 stat, MSD coil --Trans:700R4 Corvette Servo -- Rearend: 7.5 GM 3.42 w/ posi-lock
New Best ET: 14.91 @92.9
Bassett Racing
Mid Atlantic F Body -82 Z28 Page

[This message has been edited by Basett Racing (edited February 13, 2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the help guys...i guess i shouldve been more clear...i was talking about mainly free, or like a couple bucks at the hardware store kinda mods...I dont have the money right now for new gears, eventually i will put in a posi with better gears...but right now im just looking for stuff to do this week, nice and easy such as the ultimate tbi mods...stuff like that. Basset..thanks for the info on the timing, i guess i heard to retard the timing somewhere else...possibly a tpi i dont know...anyways. Anyone else?
Old 02-14-2001, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Chop your cat off it'll make a differance, enough to be worth while and it doesn't cost much.
Old 02-15-2001, 02:44 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
AAAHHHH....I hate when people say gut the cat. WHY!!! for a few extra hp. Do you know how bad that is for the envirnment? I'm no tree hugger, in fact I voted Bush (I'm republican), but you guys have got to stop with this !CAT crap. It's not like it's a parasitic device that doesn't do anything. It does work and works extreamely well at keeping the crap out of the air. Please whatever you do don't gut the cat, it's also illegal and cops CAN give you a ticket for it. Just like not having a muffler. I didn't have a muffler on my 91 RS all summer but that's because it's had the stock cam...that thing sounded awesome with no muffler, not loud until you really got on it, then it sounded like a monster. Anyways, I'd take out your sub box (if you have one), also keep 1/4 tank of gas, just enough for you to get home with . It's obvious to take out the spare and the jack, those are no brainers. Also you're going to want to advance the timing to 8 say since no headers or anything crazy. Also the ultimate TBI mods is a great idea. Get an open air cleaner for $15 from summit and you'll be very happy. The cut out is a good idea but I wouldn't invest it it. Much smarter right now for him to just get some SLP headers which would stay with the car for as long as he has a small block chevy in her. The torque converter lock up switch really isn't going to do you much good, it might even hurt performance. The lock up really should only accure in 4th gear to save gas milage. If you lock it up in other gears the engine will dip down off of it's power band and will take longer to get back up to it's next shift point. So hold off on the lockup, that's just my opinion though, do what you want. Another idea might be to get some dryer hose from the hardware store and rig that up to the drivers side high beam housing. Remove the high beam and put the hose up behind it, attach other end to where the snorkel would usually attach (zip tie it, use 2 chain if needed). Instant ram air, that's how my car came from the previous owner but I got rid of it because it looked stupid with one headlight missing. Oh well. If you had to purchase one thing that would make a big difference it would be the $15 summit racing open air cleaner. Get that and you'll be very happy.

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list), getting new engine in summer

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited February 15, 2001).]
Old 02-15-2001, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't say gut it I said take it off. Cars that are well tuned don't pollute hardly at all with no cat. It's the cars that are untuned and unmaintained that run like crap and pollute the environment even with a cat.

Zac Spalding
Old 02-16-2001, 02:34 AM

Well i already have an open element...and i do love it. Im actually going to be making a ramair/cold air box setup. Its more of a cold air resevoir with air entering from the front of the engine bay, rear and also from underneath (dryer ducting coming up from underneath). That and i was also going to wrap my fuel lines with some insulation and heat resistant stuff to help keep the fuel delivery cool. I dont know about the torque converter...i heard of people saying it shaved .2-.5 off their ET but then again im not sure i trust that...ill probably just lock it up with the paper clip in the ADLD for one run on him and see what i think. I also dont have a muffler on my 91RS...unfortunately..it really isnt that loud...i mean people often think i have aftermarket exhaust on my car...but it really isnt too loud.
Old 02-16-2001, 04:09 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Yup, the l03's didn't have a very large cam, in fact I bet it would make more hp if it has ANYTHING other than the stock cam, j/k
I have the SLP headers so it wasn't really quiet but when you got on it and pulled her up to 4700 my friends all heard I was coming. It's really not too bad on the high way, it's just the upper rpms that are a bit too load. Borla is on it's way, 3" in 3" out, KISS (keep it simple stupid). Dual looks nice but I'm going for a real clean look, one 3" turn down is gonna make more power than any complicated 2-1-2 system with one muffler. Oh well, I don't know about the fuel wrap, I've never heard of that, I don't think it's going to help any, fuel pressure is all you need to worry about. As for cold air compared to open, it's so hard to figure. A really good cold air is great but is complicated with our cars. We need to move parts all over the place. I'm going to be doing it soon with dual snorkels. Even after the SS hood. I'm not sure if a lot of people talk about this but there is a very good reason for why the hood scoops are high off the hood. I don't want to go into detail but if the opening is close to the hood it has velocity and direction already to go AROUND the opening and to continue over the hood, that is why I think the trans am ram air is better than the camaro ss. Either that or it's a different eprom, who knows. Wow, another long reply from me, I'm rambling on and on. Starting to sound like an old timer. This is why I have so few posts compared to other moderators.

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list), getting new engine in summer
Old 02-16-2001, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
Hey Josh, I redid my modeval site and a lot of people so far that have seen the new site likes it a lot better than the old one. A lot more organized and better descriptions of install and pictures. Take a gander if you'de like and maybe it could help you choose something you don't have already done.

------------------
Eric Natzke
91 Firebird 305 TBI
"It Ain't Stock"
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/91firebird.html
For info on certain parts or mods go to the site below
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/modeval.html
Old 02-16-2001, 07:31 PM

I actually have a really good idea for the cold air setup. I got the idea from scauffiel....if i could find a link to his site i would post it...anyways its besically a resevoir made of fiberglass , its heat resisitant...and only lets air enter through the rear hood seal and front hood area into the open element...its sealed against the hood with rubber, and also has a tube of ducting coming into it to feed cold air from underneath into it. Scauffiel said it works good, i think it looks like it would work awesome, and hell cant hurt anything...Anyways when i find the link again ill post it. With his pictures you would understand exactly what im talking about.