TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2000, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!!

I don't exactly know whats going on, but ever since its gotten cold this problem started. Well i noticed that my truck was getting hard to start about monday, It would crank for a long time before it finaly caught, so I thought "well I'll take a look at it this weekend" By wednesday it was still hard to start, and is now sputtering and stuttering so bad that I can barely drive it! It seems to have lost all power in all RPM ranges except for the 2k-3k range. It will shift when you press the gas, but it just tries to rev up, and it won't go anywhere, but it sputters bad! The service engine soon light has come on twice while I was driving, and now everytime I turn the key, the SES light comes on, blinks once, and then comes back on, and then shuts off. It does get a little better after the truck warms up, but not much at all. Does anyone have a ****ing clue what could have happened? This happened mildly about 2 months ago, but I changed the fuel filter and everything was ok up until now. Do you think I should change it again? Please Help!! Thanks!

BTW, my truck is an '88 Chevrolet, 350 w/TBI, everything is stock except for a K&N and a gutted airbox, and a no cat dynomax exhaust system.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 88CHEVTRUCKTBI_350 (edited November 11, 2000).]
Old 11-11-2000, 11:05 AM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s
doesnt sound too good. First i would run some fuel system cleaner, and 91 octane for a week. That will help anything run a little better. Im sure somebody will tell you to check your coolant temp sensor. I would do that. Then i would take a look at the oil, it could be just sludging up really bad, change it to a thinner weight. Is the truck warming up to normal temperatures? Do a coolant system flush in case your coolant is getting thick and nasty and effecting your thermostat. That would take care of "winterizing."
Mainly, i would just try getting to operating temp as fast as you can/before driving, and make sure the engine coolant/heating system is running well.

There are so many reasons a car/truck could run rough. Might not want to assume it is because of the weather, maybe the weather is contributing, but it might not be the cause. It could just be a coincidence. So just start checking misc. stuff that could lead to your symtoms, not just assuming its the weather. you cant fix the weather, you can fix an engine.
Maybe if you still have all of it, put the old aircleaner and thermac on. Worth a try.

------------------
Gestapo?

ENGINE SPECS:
305 TBI,Open Element,K&N 14x3,Hypertech Stage I,160 Deg. Thermostat,454 GM TBI

STEREO SPECS:
JVC Kalmeleon kdlx3,Infinity Kappa 2way 6x9's,PPI 4x6 Coaxials,PPI PC2400 AMP @ 2ohm
DEI Studio 12" 4ohm DVC,Custom Box:Exactly 1 Cubic Foot
Old 11-11-2000, 12:10 PM

Well, the oil is kinda sludgy! Do you think it would make that much of a difference if I changed it? I think I'm going to, and I'll also replace the fuel filter while I'm at it. Another thing I noticed when I drive it, it surges, pretty damn badly too. I look at the tach, and its just goin all over the place. I looked in the chiltons manual and some of the symptoms match the symptoms of a bad ignition coil..Whaddya think?
Old 11-11-2000, 12:28 PM

NAPA tests ignitions I beleive. Im pretty sure.

Take it off and bring it to em.
Yes, in cold weather, your oil could definately bog your motor. Ever churned butter?

Surging sounds like vacuum problem. Air temp plays with manifold vacuum pressure. Could be, that you've had a vacuum leak for a while, but since it wasnt cold, it didnt make any noticable differences in drivability.
Old 11-11-2000, 12:40 PM

Well I'll have to let NAPA check it out, ALSO, I found that I have a code 44, which according to chiltons says "oxygen sensor O2S circuit(Lean Exhaust Indicated" "Sets if oxygen sensor coltage remains less than .2 volt for 20 seconds"...WTF?!! What does that mean?
Old 11-11-2000, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That means your truck is running lean. Take off the air cleaner and watch the injectors while it runs. They should have symetrical cone shaped sprays. You might have a clogged injector or the elec. connecter might have even been knocked loose.
Zac Spalding
Old 11-11-2000, 02:05 PM

K, I'll give that a shot! Thanks for all the advice!! BTW, I just replaced the O2 sensor, and it didn't help a whole lot, but definately some.... Keep those ideas coming please!!
Old 11-11-2000, 04:59 PM

yes definately, if you are running lean. run some stp total fuel system cleaner with some NON ethanol high octane gas. You said you were gona replace your fuel filter, if you do, you should be able to breathe, not blow, but just breathe thru it. of course after you blow the gas out. if you can breathe thru your old one, it doesnt need replacing.
That along with new oil, and a new o2 should get you running normally again. sounds like your truck just needs a little tlc, maybe treat it to a tune up. new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil. then flush n fill the radiator, or have it done profesionally for 50 bucks. with what youve done, and what i just listed. you should be running great thru the winter, and great till next winter.