TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI Injectors blobbing gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBI Injectors blobbing gas

I have a 90 camaro L03. When i bought the car it ran pretty good and then the fuel pump went out. I decided to replace the injectors also. I bought them at autozone. Sorenson injectors. When i put the injectors and the fuel pump in, the car started but idled horribly. I tested the fuel pump and it was good. The injectors just blob gas into the throttle body. I have access to a gas analyzer. Its running like 40 percent rich. So i took the injectors out and went to autozone to make sure they were the right ones. THey showed me a different injector that looked like the right one but the ******* wouldn't let me exchange it. Should i just get some OEM injectors. Does anyone here have any they would sell me? I could take a picture of the ones i have if anyone here would like to see it. thanks
Old 09-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Why did you buy new injectors? Have you tried the old ones since you installed the new pump?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(
You should always take in your old part in order to compare.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Car: 95 z28,86 iroc
Engine: 350 lt1,305 tpi
Tbi injectors are what you call bullet proof,rarely are they replaced.I would never use autozone aftermarket injectors without making sure the oem ones are bad.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, you dont really see TBI injectors going bad very often. Any used or old GM injector is all but guranteed to work. Hopefully you kept your old ones? I would pick old GM ones out of a wrecking yard for pocket change any day of the week over any aftermarket injector, which were probably a pretty penny.

What do you mean it "blobs" fuel? Are you sure you installed them correctly with new O-rings for the injectors and gaskets for the top end of the TBI unit?

Try it with your old ones, and if it still "blobs" fuel as you say, next step I would say is to test the Coolant Temperature sensor. If it goes bad it will report a temperature of like -40 or something like that to the ECM and cause the ECM to try and compensate for the cold temperature by adding tons of fuel. But you have to try your old ones first, or at least try some other GM ones that have THE SAME NUMBER ON TOP. This is important. Its there, clean, scratch, do whatever you can to read it.

Last edited by Darkshot; 09-29-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 PM

Well, Thanks to everyone who replied. I don't know a lot about throttle body injectors. I have a good understanding of the sensors and their circuits that are used. I checked the ect yesterday and its good. I think i threw the old injectors away. Shot myself in the foot. I didn't have a specific reason for changing them, i just wanted the fuel system to be fresh. So should i just buy a throttle body system at a yard and put it on? When i took the sorenson injectors out, the o-rings looked good and all the gasgets were there.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:35 PM

When i said blob fuel, i meant drips it out instead of spraying.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Alright, well heres what I would do. I'm pretty sure the stock flow rating for 305 injectors is 40lb/hr. (Varification please somebody?!?!) You might do some additional research on this to be sure I'm right. I am looking at this site for reference:

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/compone...injectors.html

The code on the top of a 40# injector (assuming that site is correct, again, somebody please varify) is GM 5235279 *RPD. Again, if I were you, I would try and find a set of these and give them a shot. Classifieds, boneyards, whatever. I would be careful with eBay, lot of people passing off mis-labeled injectors. Just make sure the part number on top MATCHES what the seller claims they are. I once bought two sets of "65#/hr cop car injectors" and when I got them I ran the part number on top and they ended up being V6 injectors from a 4.3 TBI or something crazy like that. No good.

This is what I would do, so if somebody has some other thoughs or a better idea please share...
Old 10-02-2006, 03:28 PM

well that sounds good. Im looking for some right now. i called like 10 salvage yards around my area but right now they seem to be all out. thanks again for helping. Ill look on the classifieds.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

I'd post a want ad here for stock L03 injectors...i'm sure there are tons of sets floating around as they are not typically desired and people often swap them out for higher flowing ones leaving themselves with a spare set. (You could do this if you want, but its much more complicated than just installing higher flowing injectors because you will need to re-program your PROM accordingly and it will take longer to get your car back on the road. In your case, I wouldnt do this just yet) Another thing to consider is although (as previously stated) the injectors rarely go bad while they are in use installed in a throttle body, they are much more likely to be damaged by dirt and whatnot while sitting in a garage exposed to open air with no gasoline to keep them clean and no air cleaner surrounding them protecting them at all times. Still, no real harm in plugging them in and giving them a shot.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Fixed!

Well, i contacted sorenson and they told me the injectors should be the right ones. So i bought a throttle body gasket and o ring kit and cleaned everything. Now it runs very smoothly. THANKS to everyone that gave me assistance. People seem friendly on here.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

Those injector O rings can be a pain!