TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

I need your help TBI Gurus. Really Bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 Caprice LTZ
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 4L60 (700R4)
I need your help TBI Gurus. Really Bad!!!

(Reposted from Power Adder section due to lack of responses.)

Hello again all. I need your help really bad. Any input on this would be GREATLY APRECIATED! Thank you in advance.

I know this forum is for F-Body's but I honestly don't have many people that know about this subject....so here it goes...

This a last ditch effort to gain an understanding of my Vortech TBI Blower system that I bought for my 1993 Caprice LTZ TBI 350...

I have an entire Vortech TBI supercharger system for a TBI truck and I wanted to put it in my Caprice. Its an A-Trim 6lbs. max blower unit but can be upgraded to an S-Trim. This is a brand new system... never used.

I have all the brackets and the Supplementary fuel injection system that consists of two 45lb/hr injectors mounted in a spacer between the TBI and the intake manifold. They run off of a small Haltech computer that turns them on and off under boost.

I have been told that if I were to bolt this on a stock Caprice (non-police) L05 that it would not go past 250hp. This is not enough for me. I would like a lot more.

So I took my question to a guy named Norm Brandes (Engine Builder for World's Fastest Prowler) in Silver Lake, WI. He suggested that I scrap the TBI and go to an Accel DFI topped 383...which he says can get 425 hp and 500 + lbs/tq....but this would come at a much higher cost...of course.

What should I do guys? I don't know. Honestly I am very intriuged by the EBL tuning effort that has recently come about here on Third Gen and I am hoping that one of you very knowledgeable TBI guys can give me hope for this set up or I am just going to sell it. Since the EBL ECM has a 2 bar MAP set up....this would work pretty well for a supercharged application.

I know that I am going to have problems feeding it fuel...but I was going to get another set of larger main & supplementary injectors to compensate for the increase in air.

Also...I am concerend about generating enough TQ to get this big bubble Caprice moving properly. Norm Brandes has said that although it will work...the TQ # wouldn't be as good as the 383...and TQ is what is needed to get the Bubble body Caprice moving.

Lastly...I know nothing about tuning EPROMs and I know also that will be an issue. Is this something I should let a bolt-on guy have or can I REALLY utilize this system? I am looking for at least 350-400 at the wheels.

Thanks a lot for any/all help. I hope some body will be able to talk to me in depth about this because I don't know what to do anymore.

JB

I can be emailed at john_ace25@yahoo.com...

P.S.

From what I read around here lately...383 TBI's have not been very successful...

I also found this on ebay recently...is this guy full of Sh_t or is it possible?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/383-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by JohnBlazeLTZ; 06-27-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 428 Likes on 368 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
To take advantage of the supercharger change the cam to a supercharger type roller cam and then maybe change the heads. You will get alot more than 250 FWHP. Think 300+ RWHP with the right setup. Fueling it will be a chore, but at a reasonable boost pressure (5 PSI) it would not be too hard to get the flow you need. I am thinking something like 68# injectors @ 32 PSI would be enough fuel for 5,000 RPM and like 375+ FWHP.

I am currently running a L05 with stock swirl ports, stock 8.75:1 compression, stock exhaust manifolds, carb intake w/TBI adapter, HT383 cam, and have 218 RWHP and 339 RWTQ. I am switching to a LT4 cam and Dart Iron eagles soon.

PS-The failed 383 TBI builds are from people that don't understand the system. MOST people treat the TBI as a carb and expect it to perform like one. It a carb with things that spray fuel is the typical response! The same people are willing to go out and spend $600.00 on injectors for a TPI engine or LT1/LSx etc, but don't think that a TBI needs added fuel delivery. 20 PSI on stock 61# injectors has proven adequate for 5,000 RPM and 315 FWHP in my testing.

Last edited by Fast355; 06-27-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:36 PM

Cool...

Thanks Fast...

I was hoping to see you back around NAISSO from time to time.

I would really like to get this done if it IS possible.

For the record...I really respect Norm...heck...I have listened to him talk for hours about his engine philosphies...and I trust his judgement and knowledge but I am pretty sure think he really wants to sell me a engine combination...and although I would love for him to install a Accel topped 383...I can't really afford such a monster.

Have you used the EBL system? I am seriously going to get one IF people think I can pull this off.

I believe... like you... that a TBI system is a cost effective solution for FI. If I can get a blower TBI engine going...I would truely like that a lot.

So can I fly you up from Dallas to help? LOL

LOL...anyway...I hope we can get this thread moving because I think this is a good system that really hasn't been tried. I am not really great with everything and I don't think I will be the best but I am willing to give it a try.

Please help me out everyone...
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JohnBlazeLTZ
Thanks Fast...

I was hoping to see you back around NAISSO from time to time.

I would really like to get this done if it IS possible.

For the record...I really respect Norm...heck...I have listened to him talk for hours about his engine philosphies...and I trust his judgement and knowledge but I am pretty sure think he really wants to sell me a engine combination...and although I would love for him to install a Accel topped 383...I can't really afford such a monster.

Have you used the EBL system? I am seriously going to get one IF people think I can pull this off.

I believe... like you... that a TBI system is a cost effective solution for FI. If I can get a blower TBI engine going...I would truely like that a lot.

So can I fly you up from Dallas to help? LOL

LOL...anyway...I hope we can get this thread moving because I think this is a good system that really hasn't been tried. I am not really great with everything and I don't think I will be the best but I am willing to give it a try.

Please help me out everyone...
I do need to get by NAISSO more often, I have browsed it from time to time, but really haven't gotten involved much though.

I am running one right now, just got finished updating the program from the update CD I recieved today. Then I used the performance calculator, I need to make a full 1/4 mile pass @ WOT before I swap heads tommorrow. Running very well as we speak. Keep in mind this is just stomping on it from a rest stop entrance ramp on a recent trip that had me weighing in at over 6,000 lbs, no manual shifting, no powerbrake, 5 mph roll, loaded, A/C on, etc.

This is what I am doing tommorrow. The engine currently looks even more stock than in the pictures. I have the original 1983 G20 air cleaner on it to pass visual smog, it was on during the acceleration run I am posting as well. It is horrid compared to even the L03 camaro piece.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...les-350-a.html
Attached Thumbnails I need your help TBI Gurus. Really Bad!!!-660-performance.jpg   I need your help TBI Gurus. Really Bad!!!-air-filter.jpg  
Old 06-30-2006, 07:32 PM

Cool Fast.

I wish I would've known you were in TX...I would came and visited you when I was staying in Dallas for 2 months. Maybe some of your TBI-ism could've rubbed off on me.

So do you think the 383 would be better or the supercharger set up?

JB
Old 06-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JohnBlazeLTZ
Cool Fast.

I wish I would've known you were in TX...I would came and visited you when I was staying in Dallas for 2 months. Maybe some of your TBI-ism could've rubbed off on me.

So do you think the 383 would be better or the supercharger set up?

JB
You could always do a 383 with your supercharger.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355
You could always do a 383 with your supercharger.
Uh yeah...in a perfect world...I would already have one!!!

If that is possible...I am all about it.

I just think that would be pretty radical for the street though...don't you think?

I was planning on a 355ci S-Trim combo...with a Comp Cams Blower cam.

But if you got a prescription for a 383 blower set up...I would lke to take that to the pharmacy too!

Would an S-Trim blower be capable of handling that job or do youthink I would have to step up one more notch and go to a T-Trim?

JB
Old 07-08-2006, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the replies all...

Can anybody else shed some light on this for me?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 PM

Hey Fast...can you email me off forum so I can chat with you more?

Its a shame how this thread shows up with the "on fire" icon next to it because so many people have read it... but no one is willing to help.

I mean come on...I know some one on this forum knows what's up with this. Please help a guy out an post a reply so we can get a conversation going.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you want to know?

You've already stated that the blower kit you have won't make the power you want. Yet you don't want to spend the money to build the 383 that will meet you goal.

Sounds like you need to bolt on the blower kit and be happy with the performance or sell the kit, head over to Norms and put down a deposit.

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood.