TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI cam help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS Convertible
TBI cam help!!!

Hello,
I have a 91 camaro that I am building a 350 bored .030 over engine for. I have the block completed.
I will be using a set of Dart Iron Eagle S/S heads. I will be using a 50mm 700 CFM TBI setup. I will be using headers and an upgraded exhaust. I am looking to get between 300-400 hp. My car will have to pass emmissions once per year. I am using flat top pistons. I am new to building engines and I need advice. What is the difference between flat tappet and roller cams. I have already purchased a comp cams xe268h cam. I am hoping this cam will work because I already installed it in the block, not to metion I don't want to have to buy another cam. I am concerned this cam is not going to be my the best choice for this setup. Can you guys help me out please.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:27 PM

I have purchased this stuff from Nathan454 here on thirdgen.

50mm 700 CFM TBI
Injector pod spacer
Adj. fuel pressure regulator
fuel pump
TBI spacer
TBI adapters Coil
Distibutor
O2
Chip
ALDL cable

I installed this cam already in my block buildup

COMP Cams®: Chevy 262-400 Xtreme Energy XE268H Cam</title>
<base href="http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/">
<!--start price checker scroll-->
<script language=javaScript>
function setVariables(){
if (navigator.appName == "Netscape") {
v=".top=";dS="document.";sD="";y="window.pageYOffset"
}
else {v=".pixelTop=";dS="";sD=".style";y="document.body.scrollTop"}}
function checkLocation(){
object="ProductAssistant";yy=eval(y);eval(dS+object+sD+v+yy);setTimeout("checkLocation()",10)
}
</script>
<!--end price checker scroll-->
</head>
<body onload="setVariables();checkLocation()" bgcolor="#ffffff" text=#000000 background="/Base/Images/Stores/CC/1-2_Shopping_001.gif" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document

And I will be using these heads. The dart Iron eagle S/S .I took them to a shop and are being machined and ported.
http://www.dartheads.com/chevysh.aspx

I am just concerned that I may have made a wrong cam selection and would like to get opinions on this so that if I need to replace the cam with something else I can do it now before I get the heads back and continue on with my build.

Last edited by drshirk; 05-29-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
That's a good cam, very popular. Your combo is good for 350-400 HP if the tuning is all worked out.

By the sounds of things you're expecting the chip you bought to fire your motor right up and drive off into the sunset. Some quick searching on here will show you that anything more than a set of headers requires some hands on DIY tuning of the chip. I'm not talking mail order, that won't work. You need to learn how to burn your own chips and be able to tune the ECM for your particular combo. Your combo is going to be mean enough that it probably won't even idle when you first start it up. If you have never tuned before than that cam is going to take some time and alot of learning to get to run right. It's completely doable, just not by some one who has never tuned before. If you still have your stock motor in your car, get the tuning equipment now and start learning, you'll be much better off than trying to learn from scratch on a completely new engine.

TUNING is going to be the difference between 10 and 400 HP.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:07 PM

BMonteSS,
Thank you for your input. I am very glad to hear the cam will work. I have been reading the articles on here how to tune a chip. There is a good thread about DYI tuning of TBI's.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...-beginner.html
Thanks again. I have some reading to do....
Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 PM

I have a "stock' #50 THAT i PLAN TO PUT IN AN 1989 FORMULA i PLAN TO USE IT AS A DAIY DRIVER i DONT KNOW HOW TO RETUNE THE COMPUTER BUT i HAVE A SCAN TOOL sNAP ON AND A LAP TOP THAT CAN PLUG INTO THE CAR i HAVE A FLAT TAPPET 350 THAT i PLAN TO PUT IN BUT ,IF IT MAKES A DIFFRENCE i HAVE A 305 THAT IS A ROLLER ENGINE cAN i INTERCHANGE PARTS TO MAKE THE 350 A ROLLER ENGINE? (TAPPING HOLES, ETC.) WHICH CAM WOULD BE BEST FOR THE CAR--AS IT (THE CAR) IS PRETTY MUCH STOCK?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Originally Posted by mrk585
I have a "stock' #50 THAT i PLAN TO PUT IN AN 1989 FORMULA i PLAN TO USE IT AS A DAIY DRIVER i DONT KNOW HOW TO RETUNE THE COMPUTER BUT i HAVE A SCAN TOOL sNAP ON AND A LAP TOP THAT CAN PLUG INTO THE CAR i HAVE A FLAT TAPPET 350 THAT i PLAN TO PUT IN BUT ,IF IT MAKES A DIFFRENCE i HAVE A 305 THAT IS A ROLLER ENGINE cAN i INTERCHANGE PARTS TO MAKE THE 350 A ROLLER ENGINE? (TAPPING HOLES, ETC.) WHICH CAM WOULD BE BEST FOR THE CAR--AS IT (THE CAR) IS PRETTY MUCH STOCK?
Ease off on the CAPS LOCK, it is hard to read. What is the stock 350 out of? If it is from a mid-70s car, it is not even worth putting in there, atleast stock. The 305 TBI makes the same torque and 15-30 HP more. If it is a truck TBI 350, it won't have but 20 HP more, but will make around 30 ft/lbs more.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Sorry about the caps the engine is out of a mid 90s truck I need to put it in b/c my 305 bit the dust I am now going to do some searchs on voodoo cams How do a burn my own chip How to please
Old 06-08-2006, 05:09 PM

Tuning for Cams

I am putting a 350 engine in a car that originally had a 305. The 305 was a roller engine. The 350 is not, bot it does have the 3 bosses under the intake. However, I do not know if I can use a newer style cam in this block or do I need to get a retro-fit kit to put a roller cam in this block. I plan on spending $450 max on this engine swap. The engine is runable now, but I am going to put new valve seals in it. I know where a set of vortec heads are, would it be worth $40 to put it on the car. The egr will cause problems, are there any suggestions as to how to fix this? I do not know how to program, but I do know several programmers (ie. desk top programmars) and harley davidson tuners. Please suggest a roller cam for my car. The car is completly stock. I plan to use the 350 injectors.

My list of things to buy is as follows: Double-roller timing chain set, Full gasket set, Possible Roller cam, High volume oil pump, and Possible Vortec heads.

The heads probably need to be gone through and cleaned up.

Please respond with any suggestions.