TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Q's about Open element cant find with search

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.7whatevers
Q's about Open element cant find with search

Can't quite find what I need to know and I'm just curious about a few things I may have read. I installed the drop base edelbrock today, fit decently by moving the dizzy and such a little so it doesn't touch any wires, got the IAT(right?) sensor in the air cleaner but the breather still seems a bit questionable. Previous owner had some kind of crap fram filter on the breather which was a bitch to get out. It looks a bit like steel wool and it's just about soaked with oil/grease/mystery fluid. I remember my stock air cleaner was filled with oily stuff (saturated the old air filter) and I cleaned it not too long ago just to find it with more as I did the install today, but not nearly as much. After running the car for a bit it looked like there was smoke coming from the breather, but I've heard this is semi-normal. Drove it for a bit too and noticed slightly higher temps on the guage. I also unplugged my neg from my battery for about 30 seconds so it "resets". Vaccuum line is plugged with just the hose with the screw in the end + electrical tape around the screw to make it fit tighter. The car felt like it was taking longer to get through the final stretch of RPMs in each gear though. But I've heard it takes a day or two to break in the open element from somewhere on the boards- in order to let the computer adjust to it? I like the slightly improved sound though and if anything is just looks better than a stock snorkel intake

So I'll break it down to what I need to know.

-Oily orange fram thing on the breather, stay or chuck for a mini filter, but only if it's cheap at local auto parts store? (pics can be provided if needed). And also what would be the adverse effects of this thing not getting much air or just being plain dirty

-I've got that ****ty heavy hood insulation that seem's like it's just falling apart in tufts every now and then and dirtying my engine compartment. Any problem with just tearing that out? Will it help dissipate heat through the hood instead of keeping it in?

-Should I be seeing instant results right from start up (although very small, i know) or should I expect to see my very slight increase over time/in a day or two?

-And kind of a differnent subject but lately it feels like first gear has no "go" after about 3500 rpms. Feels like it stops pulling as much but revs high until it shifts into second (700r4 btw). But man, when it does shift into second it's quite a jolt. I've managed to accidentally lay a 20 foot strip of rubber after leaving school without flooring it. Tonight though even the end of second gear felt kind of weak after installing the element, but this time it slows down the rpm climb substantially. Any easy way I can diagnose this? I'll recheck the thermac vaccuum just incase theres any air getting in there somehow. Probably slap on some more electrical tape for good measure too. But I've only recently just had an oil/filter change + fuel injector cleaner and I haven't done any other maintainence things yet, but would anything i should replace now/soon that's relatively cheap be causing this sort of problem. VIP auto parts told me my tranny fluid was slightly discolored/dirty but I didn't think much of it.

Free cookies and swim suit model calendars for the most helpful!

oh and i might as well get some specs in - 89 RS 305 TBI Auto w/ flowmaster cat-back and way too many minor problems to list here.
And since I've never introduced myself and I'd like to show off a bit, some pics.

Damage in the front is from ramming into a ditch doing roughly 40 mph after losing the front drivers side tire from a <insert obscenity> nail back in january. $735 estimate to buy new nose, paint it, unbolt and realign fenders/hood and reshape drivers side fender since it's now slightly warped, fix pass side gfx (duct tape job now) + front gfx + pull out the pass side rear qrt panel since it got pushed in a few inches from the crash. I did an exterior detailing a day or two before the pics. Glad I know what I'm doing, I make a good amount of cash (well.. just started to) on the side by detailing the local snob's cars

Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 AM

Car: 91 Formula, 89 IROC
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 2.73, Posi 2.73
First off about the orange thing, its a crankcase breather and I just went to the local pep boys and bought a push in chrom one made by Spectre I believe. It was hard to find a good one because the valve cover hole is so oddly sized. That would be the easiest route.

I wanted to get rid of my hood insulation as well, but I have heard that it will fade the paint on the hood from all of the heat. The main reason for that lining is to put out fires in the engine bay if they happen.

Now seeing a difference is different in each persons eyes. I cannot say that I felt a difference, but after I did a catback and open element K&N, my friends said my car got alot quicker from the passenger seat. The computer may have to adjust to it, but these computers in these cars are really crazy. Some people tell me that the open element will actually make the intake suck in hot air and therefore make the car slower, so its just whatever you think lol.

About the power loss thing, the motor make its torque in super low RPM's. I think it may even make peak torque at 2200 RPM's. My car got alot faster after I did a complete tune-up on it. Try that first before you worry about anything super big. I have the T-5 so I have no idea how a 700R4 feels in these cars.

Alos looks like you got a nice car there too, after you get the front fixed, it should be pretty clean. I detail cars too, and I love doing it because I make some decent money. Glad to help you if any man.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:33 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.7whatevers
I wish I had a t-5, but on a normal day the car pulls well right up to about 4500, didn't quite seem like that last night, but it could be my imagination or just the road I was on. I'll see if the comp decided to even itself over the course of today and tomorrow. Probably just the *** dyno lying to me.

And today I'm going to rip out my cat and put straight pipe in it's place and clamp the empty over . At the least it should make my car obnoxiously louder in higher rpms .
Old 04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro
Axle/Gears: 3.42
You can rip out that hood insulation, no problem. I haven't seen it cause anyone on these boards any problems with paint peeling, etc. yet. I've had mine off for over a year and it hasn't even faded or peeled the crappy Maaco paint job on my car. There really more of a fire hazard on most of these cars anyway (like sagging and catching the belt or falling on the exhaust manifolds).

You didn't mention a tune-up as part of your maintenance. That's the first thing I would recommend doing, and then troubleshoot from there. A tune-up consists of spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, and PCV valve. You can do it all yourself in an afternoon. As for the transmission, check the fluid level and try adjusting the TV cable, and see if that helps (a quick search will show you how to adjust it).

As for the breather, just go to any auto parts store and look in the chrome aisle for a 3/4" push-in breather. Take the old breather assembly out of the valve cover and replace it with that one.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock
Originally Posted by 90CamaroTBI
The main reason for that lining is to put out fires in the engine bay if they happen.
This is totally untrue. That stuff will go up in flames like it was soaked in gas. It is not a fire blanket by any means.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
I have a sneaky suspicion that the insulation is to keep the hood from steaming in the rain. I know that sounds crazy, but I knew a girl who swore my car was on fire and jumped out at an intersection because she saw "smoke" coming off the hood. The insulation keeps the hood cool enough not to steam.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BP you misunderstood her intentions. your car is an obvious chick magnet. she just wanted to meet you. happens to me all the time but then i drive a vette.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:22 PM

Car: 91 Formula, 89 IROC
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 2.73, Posi 2.73
Dude I searched for a long time for the purpose and thats all I was told over and over again.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock
I realize that alot of people think that it is a fire blanket. But it is not. It has been a loooong time myth about it. Just want to let you know the truth.