TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Novembers Projects DONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 428 Likes on 368 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Novembers Projects DONE!!!

So here is the list of things done in the last month! This will probably make you feel lazy, but Oh well. I have been busy in TBI land, so be warned its long.

Lets hear your projects for the last month.

I got rid of the VAFPR from my engine, leaving the 68 lb/hr injectors at 28 PSI fuel pressure.

I have been running a 8746 for sometime now. It was a near plug and play swap. I did however add a power steering pressure switch(the PS line had a Tapped hole for it with a plug in it) and had to add the IAT wiring. It has a new calibration in it to reflect the solid 28 PSI vs. the VAFPR. I also put the fuel shut-off to 5,800 RPM to help prolong the life of the engine.

I changed the converter to a Torco 2,800 RPM Lockup a while back as well. I also added a HUGE transmission cooler meant for like a 25,000 lbs GVW RV. I still have the stock in-radiator cooler in the loop as well. Due to the mild winters I have the radiator cooler first and the secondary cooler after. I also changed the weights and governors in my transmission to give approximately 5,600 RPM WOT upshifts. Then tweaked it to give about 2,800 RPM part-throttle shifts with the pedal at 1/3 throttle.

The 7 Bladed Mechanical Clutch Fan w/ a Heavy Duty Fan Clutch had to go. It was loud and sucked up HP as well as Fuel. When it was fully engaged it felt like I was down 10 HP or more. I converted to a pair of electric fans that I found in a dodge Intrepid. They fit my radiator like a glove and work perfectly. Then not to mention these Intrepid Fans just flat rock, much more CFM @ Idle than the clutch fan. Just need to get the ELB to control the fans. I also want the A/C compressor on ECM control.

While the fan was off, I pulled the water pump and moved my Cam from 4* advanced to Straight Up. Two piece timing covers are a miracle for that. No oil pan removal or balancer removal needed.

I also took my open element off and put it on my 1980 C10 (Put a water pump on that and did a complete tune-up). It was just TOO annoying with it sitting between me and my GF. Too much noise on hills to carry on a conversation. Got myself in trouble on that. I put my L05 van air cleaner housing back on it. Complete with functioning Heat Stove AND tube. I still have the Powercharger and K&N in the loop.

Then I had an annoying header tick, due to the CHEAP Flowtechs that were on it Leaking(Sucks). Wouldn't bother me too much, if it wasn't so loud going up hills in OD. That and I was tired of my 40 series mufflers.

While I was at my parents, I grabbed my L05 Van Manifolds and Y pipe (1992 G30 Van) from my Storage Container. They are the good 2 1/4 outlets. The Y is a very smooth transition for Y's into a 3" pipe. I then added a good low-restriction catalytic converter from my exhaust man (Neighbor), I forgot the Brand. After that the exhaust was run into a 70 Series Big Block II 3.00"/2.25" C/DUAL muffler, Part # 530722. Then into dual 2 1/4 pipes in the stock location behind the driverside rear wheel. I did some WOT testing and have 1-2 lbs of backpressure at 5,500 RPM (Not bad at all) This is a quiet, very good performing system, that will make smog a breeze vs. no cats. I am still impressed at how much it toned down the sound. Sounds virtually stock now. What is even more impressive is the unburned fuel smell this truck has alway had, is now gone. I bet my HCs are a 10th of the original reading.

http://flowmastermufflers.com/produc...oducts_id=3355

In the process of changing up the exhaust I lost an O2 sensor bung. Therefore I ran the output from my WB 02s-Narrow Band output to my ECM. This is basically a converter in the Controller that changes the 0-5 volt signal to the 0-1 volt the stock ECM wants to see. It works very well and lets me change up my A/F ratios easily. I can set closed loop up wherever I want it within reason. Lets say 13.8-16:1 A/F mixture. I have it at 14.7:1 for emission reaons.

This thing has been running very strong and long highway trips are now a pleasure vs. litterally a headache. My ears would be ringing after a 200-300 mile trip with the old setup. I typically drive 300 mile stretches between stops.

On a 400 mile trip I was able to get 18.5 MPG doing 75-80 MPH, with a brief romp to redline in 3rd gear. I HIT the RPM LIMITER @ 5,800 on road that looked pretty level. Let out a little, got OD and it kept going. That is over 130 MPH when I hit the governor. The log said I hit 134 MPH and climbing. It was still nice and tight with no stability or wandering problems. I could have gone faster, but I didn't dare stay at that speed for more than a couple of seconds. If a police officer saw his gun, he would probably think it went crazy though.

I ran it at the track Friday night and got one pass. I spun the tires all the way through 1st gear and got rubber going into 2nd as well.
I cut a horrid .931 R/T (I must have been asleep)
60' =2.42s (No traction)
330'=6.57s @ 57.4
660'=9.96s @ 73.9
1320'=15.5 @ 88.7

Then there was some little things like replacing brake pads, turning rotors, a complete front end rebuild using PST parts, I have had a rear sway bar for some time now as well as some Hellwig's. The PST front end kit install turned this truck into a completely different animal as far as handling goes. I also installed some Gabriel Ultra shocks on all 4 corners. Rebuilt the sliding door with all new bushings, rollers, etc. Plus some other little odds and ends. Really not too much for a truck that has nearly 300,000 miles on it.

http://www.p-s-t.com/truck/tvfekpg.html

http://www.p-s-t.com/truck/tvsway.html#CHEVROLET (Performance 1 1/8 Sway Bars on both ends).

I also worked on the chip in a S10 that was swapped to a 3.4 from a 2.8 TBI(Unfortunately another favor, but it was my exhaust man neighbor). That truck came to me with a mild crane compucam grind, ported heads, bored and gasket matched 2.8 Intake, headers, decent exhaust, a V8 TBI, and 305 injectors in it. At the end of the day, I feel it would have walked away from a 4.3 pretty easy. Ever taken a cammed 3.4 to its 6,300 RPM readline? It was so out of order to begin with that 3,500 was it. With around 250ish FWHP, 230 ft/lbs, a 5 spd, 6,300 RPM redline, 3,300 lbs, and 3.73s this little truck is suprising to say the least.

All in all, a busy but worthwhile month. Oh and the 383 is also well under way as well. It is torn down to the bare block, which is awaiting machine work. The rotating assembly, cam, heads, and just about everything else are already in my possesion.

Then again this 305 has been running so well I might just leave it for the time being. How about a decent hydrualic roller cam in it? Such as a Crane HR-276-2S-12 IG. That would bump me to an estimated 390 Crankshaft HP @ 6,000 RPM and 365 ft/lbs @ 4,000 RPM. It has similar specs to the L82 piece, but is much newer and a roller cam. Combined with the proper valvetrain components it would do very well. I feel that I could gain more low-speed torque, fuel mileage, while picking up some more top-end HP at the same time. Gotta love modern cam grinds, especially rollers. It is on a 112* lobe seperation angle that should be pretty TBI friendly. It also has a cast iron distributer gear. With a powerband of 1,600-5,800 PRM and cruise between 2,600-3,400 it will be interesting to say the least. The cruise RPM is a little high but not objectionable. Crane claims valve float at 6,500 when matched with the recommended springs. They also claim a good idle and good fuel mileage.
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft

Last edited by Fast355; 11-27-2005 at 01:51 AM.