TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Ram air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LS1
Ram air intake

I'm at the point where I have two options (building a ram air intake):

1) Remove the entire air cleaner .. including the base of it .. and attach the 8 inch diameter huge tube turning into a square (lol I'll post some pics once it's done) .. adapted.. 8 to 6 inch or whatever... basically ... attach an entire new air cleaner assembly to the throttle body

But... where to mount the emission stuff... and can I use a breather instead ? for the crankcase ?

2) Keep the base of my air cleaner ... have the emission stuff plugged in where it is .. .and just weld the new air cleaner assembly to the base of the old air cleaner ... only disadvantage here would be .. possible loss of air flow ... since it wouldn't be as "forced into" the throttle body anymore

Would relocating the emission stuff be bad in any way ? That's where I'm stuck at... I don't know how the air temp sensor would react to being moved higher up.. or what... and etc etc

I even have another hood standing by... ready to be cut up and modified for the ram air intake
Old 07-08-2005, 08:38 PM

Go for it

I would like to see how it comes out because i have been working out a cold air/ram air induction system for about 6 months. The only problem is that i don't want to change hoods because the car is flamed. But here is my idea. Use the cowl induction way that most of the NEXTEL cup guys use. A small cowl induction hood maybe, or cut out a hole in the cowl. Then box up the air cleaner and box it right up to the hole. The reason they put the Opening right at the base of the windsheild is that its all positive pressure there and is super cool. I've been trying to figure one way out but i keep getting stuck with messing up the paint in the process and with close to 180 hours in the paint i aint gonna risk it. Besides our TBI system really wasn't designed for the high horsepower. And i can allready tell you that your spinning your wheels in the corners. So just make it handle better and youll still beat the Tuned port guys.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
It'd be good to leave that temp sensor in the air stream, but I don't see why you couldn't just plumb it into this pipe easily right? Do that and you'll be fine. As for the crankcase, just use a push-in breather. That's what I run and many others that run open elements do the same thing. Good luck with it.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

thanks

That's what I was wondering about

thanks

*pulls out his angle grinder to start cutting a hole in the other hood*
Old 08-20-2005, 11:27 AM

Car: 1988 Trans am
Engine: 305 TBI
Vorgath how did it go? Are you gonna use a 4th gen style hood with one of those airbox kits they make for the TPI's. This is what i wanted to do, Im gonna get the 4th GEN style hood, one way or the other, I love the look of it. I would like to make it funtional and fit to the TBI, and i want to upgrade my air intake anyway cause the stock setup sucks anyway. I dont have the experience, so i need help if you have any ideas, that would be great. It seems like there is noting out there to modify the air intake on TBI, you have to do it yourself.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Not yet

Haven't done it yet, finishing the Ultimate TBI thingy first.. and then I'll probably do the TBI spacer too ... then I'll know how tall the top of the hood needs to be

I don't want a monstrous tall scoop ... but the opening needs to have a certain height anyway
Old 08-20-2005, 04:19 PM

Car: Red on Red 89 RS
Engine: LO3 305 TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt / 2.73
Originally posted by BronYrAur
It'd be good to leave that temp sensor in the air stream, but I don't see why you couldn't just plumb it into this pipe easily right? Do that and you'll be fine. As for the crankcase, just use a push-in breather. That's what I run and many others that run open elements do the same thing. Good luck with it.
when i installed my open element, I just drilled a hole for the air temp sensor in the base of the filter and snapped it in. used a chrome push-in breather for the passenger valve cover.

Heres a pic:
(please excuse the mess, I haven't removed the AIR system and the heater core bypass valve yet.)

Last edited by jimp2001; 08-20-2005 at 04:22 PM.