TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Interesting TBI read

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Red Camaro Iroc
Engine: Stock lb9 305 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, disc brakes.
Interesting TBI read

It might have been posted here before.

Here's an interesting article I found about the LO3 5.0 TBI engine. I know it's big, but it will cange anyone's opinion about the crappy TBI engines, it changed mine...

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/praisetbi.html

Tell me what you think.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi
aaahhhhh ,black echo`s bible of bullpucky.he`s got some interesting points but just to let you know you just opened a BIG can of worms with this one bud.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:06 PM

Car: 88formulatp1
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 5
Great, informative article, Thanx for the link!- Should be required reading for all Thirdgenners...
Old 02-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
not really
Old 02-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Wow, that's still being found?

I give the guy props for typing all of that though.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird
Engine: 350 tbi
thats alot to read

I suppose it would be the same for the LO5 wouldn't it.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
I didn't click on the link but I am sure I know what it is You have to give the guy credit for backing the TBI but he is pretty clueless on the order of mods to be done. If I recal he never mentions headers or chip work. His HP numbers are stacked and do not reflect real world TBI modding. He fails to mention critical steps when adding serious mods to any TBI set-up which in turn makes it blatenly obvious that he has never done those mods to his own car. If he had, his theories would be much much different.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:35 AM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: lo3
Transmission: 700R4 w/ B&M shift improver
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt posi
its always funny when this article comes up.hehehe

He does an excellent job writing it up doesnt he, very pursuasive, had me thinking i'd be hanging w/ vettes after $1000 of mods. lol. then i found TGO...and reality.

-chillen
Old 02-21-2005, 10:05 AM

Attached Thumbnails Interesting TBI read-c-documents-settings-chillen  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 AM

Attached Thumbnails Interesting TBI read-c-documents-settings-chillen  
Old 02-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
Ahh, good old black echo...lol, it still amazes me that this still comes up every couple of months.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:49 PM

Car: sunset orange 92
Transmission: t-5
he did have some pretty nasty things to say about thirdgen.org members on his homepage though!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

all i can say is i added a chip, headers and a new air fliter and i dyno in at 400hp on my 305
Old 02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks
Originally posted by ssxmac
its always funny when this article comes up.hehehe

He does an excellent job writing it up doesnt he, very pursuasive, had me thinking i'd be hanging w/ vettes after $1000 of mods. lol. then i found TGO...and reality.

-chillen
Werd. I think it was me that brought up this thread about 3-4 months ago. LOL
Old 02-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Atleast he's got some neat t-shirts for sale.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by NEEDforSPEED
all i can say is i added a chip, headers and a new air fliter and i dyno in at 400hp on my 305
lolmfao... some guys actually believe that crap... when i bought my 91 RS, the guy told me that i was pushing 300rwhp... "oh yeah," he says.. "That 305cid motor puts out about 250hp on its own, then the exhaust i have on there adds another 80hp, and the chip makes it all work together for another 40hp... figure some driveline loss and thats bout 300rwhp.." it was a stock LO3 with a flowmaster 80 series with a stock cat and a hypertech chip... i believed him too, till i found TGO... now i know that even with my 350cid, LT1 Cam, Port/Polish 083's with a full roller setup, Full Exhaust with headers and ultimate TBI mods, i wont make 300 crank hp... lol lo3/lo5 both leave a lot to be desired, but thats why theyre so fun! if these cars came stock with 300rwhp we would be on here inventing new ways to squeeze an extra 4-5hp out of our setups...
Old 02-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: A Camaro
Engine: Weak
Transmission: Weaker
I think TBI may have saved his dad from dying or something. Reading that just makes me laugh, he makes absolutely rediculous statements:

The 305 V8 was slow to catch on at first, but as the GM performance cars (F-body) got lighter, and with the advent of the 'space age' designs of the 3rdGen F-body, the 305 became a logical choice for inclusion in the new 3rd Generation F-body.

Despite this obvious failing, and contrary to wildly popular but completely unfounded belief, the 305 small block Chevy is just fine for use as a high performance engine.

rip out a perfectly good motor and a highly capable induction system for something that everyone else has....If everyone is doing it, then that probably means that something was missed along the way

TPI is impressive, but it just doesn't 'feel' right

TPI is both powerful and efficient and it is very beautiful to look at

The guy's completely over dramatic about everything, 90% of that stuff is just opinion, and most of all, there's not a single dyno number on that page, or anything showing that he actually did any of this! His page shows a link to a 350 Tuned Port car that he's working on, but strangely, no Throttle Bodied car, wild

Tony
Old 02-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Originally posted by sunset92
he did have some pretty nasty things to say about thirdgen.org members on his homepage though!
I couldn't seem to find that part. I did find the part where he said the LO3 was the hot rodders dreams. Ha.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

lol, yeah, he was like "the lo3 is a good motor to hot rod" and he kept referring to the 350 as "wildly sucessful" or "mosre popular big brother" lol... that guy was on acid, or like tony said, Lo3's came in the night and cured cancer for him and all of his friends.. haha.. and I for one have NEVER thought of 3rdgens as looking "space-age"... they are "sexy-age" haha
Old 02-22-2005, 07:49 PM

here it is you have to dig for it!, its set up in blue and red like the rest of his pages.

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/thirdgenidiots.html

Everything I needed to know about life I learned from 3rdGen F-Body owners
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Enjoy these tidbits of idiocy. One day I may write a book about my time spent among these sad ignorant gibbons. It would probably sell well in academic and psychology circuits or at least wind up in the comedy section next to Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A ******* ..."

You might be a third gen F-body owner if ...

The only real induction system is a carburetor. Yank all that fancy high-tech EFI crap off of your engine. The average 3rdGen F-body owner isn't smart enough to work with anything as high tech as EFI anyway... Too bad a LS1 comes with SFI. I bet it would be faster with a Holley on top... Remember! Say no to ****! **** is anything not a carburetor.

TBI sucks. Yank it off and put a carburetor on top.

The only REAL TPI motor was the 350 TPI (even though the TPI system was originally designed for the smaller 305...)

305 TPI motors run faster than 350 TPI motors.

TPI sucks. Yank it off and put a carburetor on top.

Switching from the factory TBI to a 600 cfm Holley carb is worth 50 horses alone!

Homosexual / same sex couples make better parents than traditional heterosexual couples because the homosexual couples respect each other and love each other and won't cheat on each other like heterosexual couples will. This makes for a more stable relationship and a much more stable family.

Dale Earnhardt was ***! He did more for this world than Mother Theresa or Princess Diana ever did. There should be a national Dale Earnhardt memorial in Washington ... There should be a national Dale Earnhardt holiday. We should retire the number "3" from NASCAR and not let anyone ever race with that number ever again.

A #3 decal is worth 5 horsepower.

I lost track of how many F-body owners added some fruity tribute to Dale Earnhardt in their sigs after he died. You wouldn't believe the collage of Earnhardt pictures and overall sappiness that spewed forth from all the crying, bawling trailer park trash when this ******* died.

Why won't my OEM 5 speed stay alive behind my 383 TPI with 15 pounds of boost supercharger and 150 horsepower of nitrous? Is it because I'm sidestepping the clutch at 5000 rpm?

V6 Firebirds and Camaros weren't "REAL" Firebirds and Camaros. They are just Camaros and Firebirds only in name. REAL Camaros and Firebirds had a V8 from the factory. You guys with the V6 and four cylinder cars are not driving real Camaros and Firebirds, you're just posing. They shouldn't even be allowed to be on this board. This board should only be for real Camaros and Firebirds.

From the factory, my IROC has the word IROC-Z on each wheel cap, a IROC-Z emblem on each quarter panel, a big IROC-Z decal on each door, a IROC-Z emblem on the rear bumper, and a IROC-Z plate on the dash. What do you guys think about the big custom decal I put on my windshield that says "IROC-Z"? I think it identifies my car and makes it stand out. I really need my car to say "IROC-Z" eleven times throughout the car before I think someone will recognize just what it is that I am driving...

Long posts suck. The typical 3rdGen owner isn't smart enough to make it past the first five words of a complex sentence anyway. Paragraphs need not even be applied...

Monosyllable replies rule! Be sure to do posts with simple replies like: Uh! Yeah. No. Uh. Uh! Uh!!! Huh?

A highly detailed engine bay is considered a direct replacement for careful parts selection. It doesn't matter if all those parts don't go fast, just that they look GOOD!

"I wasn't going to get into this conversation until you said something bad about Dale Earnhardt..." Oh, please. Cry me a river, *******.

Chrome is worth more than gold.

A 3.1 V6 F-body will outrun a 5.0 liter V8 TBI F-body.

Talk like a homey. It makes you look fly on the boards. Word! Yo! Hanging and chillin with all my fly F-body bruddas. Word. Up. Got the latest Eminem CD? Don't make me grab my nine while I'm chillin with my forty and my biatch, I'll bust a cap in yo ***.

"We're all bisexual. There is this thing called 'puberty' and our bodies go through lots of chemical changes and we all end up bisexual. If the chemicals don't mix right, then we turn out homosexual."

Jester and Pablo; the "ChrisFormula355 and Vadim of the Deep South"

Dale Earnhardt walked on water. There will NEVER be another racer like Dale Earnhardt.

It is OK if you are a senior in high school and want to date a 13 year old, if she is hot enough. Post pics! Got any nude pics? Let's see her naked, man!!!!

Some bad personal hygiene habits can cause your pee to smell like vinegar and salt potato chips.

All of my friends are homosexual, but I'm not. Really. Why don't you guys believe me? Homosexuals make great friends. They're warm, and compassionate, and they're always there for me when I need to talk and express myself. My homosexual friends sure spend a lot more time with me than you guys do... and they care!

Street racing is cool! Especially if someone almost gets hurt because of your stupidity or your inability to drive ...

Mommy bought me a helicopter ride for my birthday. It was so cool! I could see my car from way up there! It looked good! They wouldn't let me take my camera on the helicopter, so I couldn't get any pictures to show you all.

Burnouts in the parking lot of the local burger restaurant or mall are so cool! Why does everyone think that F-body owners are retards? They're probably just jealous of all of this power that we display whenever we want to.

If you drive at triple digits through a neighborhood after 9:00 PM at night and a child gets hit by your car, it is the *CHILD'S FAULT* for being out that late at night.

Pulling guns on other people who you have just pissed off in traffic is cool! Having THAT person pull a gun on YOU in return isn't cool. That sucks big time! They shouldn't allow people to carry guns in cars, that's dangerous.

When you pass someone in your Camaro or Firebird, prove how good your suspension and motor is to theirs by running right up on their bumper, slamming your F-body into the other lane, nailing it, and passing the poor Yugo like it was standing still. That showed them that they need to get a 'real' car...

You get more air to your engine if you leave the air filter off at the track and can notice some serious horsepower gains. This works on the street as well. Why your carburetor and motor gums up and starts running rough is still a mystery...

What is wrong with buying stolen autoparts? They've already been stolen, so it's not like I'm stealing them! I can get a Vortec R-trim supercharger for $300. The part number is filed off so I know it is 'hot.' If I don't get it, then someone else will get it so somewhere, someone is going to buy these parts so why shouldn't it be me getting the good deal? I don't see anything wrong with it, personally. Do you guys?

Women are furniture. Use them and lose them. Then go have a beer. And get drunk. And tune your carburetor...

"I'm anti-Christian, anti-*** and pro-abortion! All of my friends are homosexual, but I'm not! My name is "Demon." I drive a Camaro Z28 that I made into an IROC."

The best time to work on your F-body is when you are stoned or drunk. This is what probably leads to most TBI to carb swaps in the first place.

TBI and TPI require at least a 6th grade education to understand. No wonder so many F-body owners switch over to carburetors... Carbs require only a 2nd grade education and that is for the OEM electronic choke models.

Legalize Pot! I'm tired of having to hide my stash in the rear spare tire compartment of my Camaro / Firebird ...

Stereo and audio equipment is as much a 'mod' as new heads and a high performance camshaft.

Those triangular air cleaners really work! My engine sounds awesome now! Why did I lose some power?

If you are a chick, post your pictures! We think it is cool that you drive a Camaro or Firebird, but we rather see pics of YOU instead. No, we don't have a life. Please humor us. Please? Please? Chicks are cool! Got any nude pics of yourself? Got any friends? Are you coming to the regional meet? Will you be wearing a bikini when you show up? Will you wash your car in a bikini when you show up? Can I ride in your car with you?

Any time a female appears on the board, the average maturity level of the males present drops by 50% or lower, often falling to single year age digits and pre-puberty levels.

Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single damn thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go 'oooh!' and 'Ah!.' Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Content of posting is not as important as the number of posts that you have. Remember, the NUMBER of posts that you've made determines if you are truly a valuable member of this board, the count of your total posts, not what you had to say in them. The more you post, obviously the more important and the smarter you are! If you have 4000 or more posts, you automatically get ASE certification!

Free posts DO count!

The only dumb question is the next one you are going to ask. Please check the old dusty archives before you ask a technical question. We'll have the archives up and running in a few weeks, we hope. Until then we really can't be bothered to go over old stuff that has been put into the archives because we are tired of answering it ... We're sorry the archives option currently isn't working on the website.

There is nothing wrong with smoking pot. I've done it for over ten years now. I'm 30 years old, drive a '89 RS Camaro, and I've just been promoted to be the junior shift leader at McDonald's. Yes, I still live with my mother. Pot isn't bad for you... I'm living proof !

Platinum plugs are a 'mod.'

Not that I'm asking or anything like I'm going to do it or such, but where would you find a place to buy those aquarium things that let you grow marijuana in your closet?

Making fun of Ford and import owners is fun and cool. We're so mature. Why do people look down on all of us F-body owners? We're not really retards.

Stupid ricers! What is up with their 'teams' that they put together? That is SO damn stupid and dumb. Who wants to be a part of my "crew" that I'm putting together? Crews are cool!

K&N filters are a 'mod.' You can get like 40 horsepower just by switching to a K&N filter. Don't worry about cleaning them or oiling them, you don't have to clean them for a million miles, says so on the box.

Taking off your TBI system, putting a carburetor on, encountering a lot of problems, and then actually going SLOWER than before is now considered 'progress' in some 'elite' circles. Especially if you paint your carburetor a cool color to match your car. Carburetors, gotta love 'em. No other reason to use them in an age of EFI.

Hey! I found a guy with a car that isn't exactly like ours and he has a guest book on his website! Let's go trash his guestbook!

Flame war!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Other board flame war! Let's go over THERE and trash THEIR site! Wahooo!

We're ICON. You're not exactly like us therefore you suck.

Be sure to have your screen name have something to do with ALL the cars that you currently own like: "Matt89B4C/911LE" or who can ever forget "Dave84HO." Picking your favorite band and your car works well too, like "Metallicamaro84HOrox" or "GODSMACKZ28" or something equally dumb, bland, and unimaginative.

"Do you think you can **** with me? Well? Do you?" part of the sig of a guy I was having a discussion with, listing all of his 'mods.' He had a low 15 / high 14 second IROC-Z, I had a low 12 second Lingenfelter IROC. My reply to him? "Yes. I can." It seems the fewer the mods F-body owners have, the harsher the attitude they projected. Give a guy a four cylinder powered base Camaro, and he would think he was Mr. Goodwrench on the boards.

Originality is a sin. Be like everyone else. We don't like change.

A Z28 front clip on a Firebird will look cool, and will be original. Z28 wheels on a Trans-Am and vice-versa are also considered 'cool' and different. You have to respect someone's wish to trash the entire breed, make an *** out of their self, and generally make the whole genre of cars look like a ******* throwback. But then we wouldn't want to hurt someone's feelings by telling them that putting Z28 wheels on a Trans-Am or a Z28 front clip on a Firebird wouldn't just be 'different', or that it would be STUPID.

Be a diehard 3rdGen owner, then go out and buy a 4thGen and start talking smack about how bad the 3rdGens are. Oh, and be sure to still hang out on 3rdGen based boards when you do so, just so you can let people know how much better you are now than they are. You probably wouldn't last long against 'real' 4th Gen owners, so you hang out on 3rdGen boards and brag about how much greater your LS1 is than any 3rdGen motor, especially the V6 and 5.0 carb / TBI powered cars. Three weeks ago, you were a die hard 3rdGen owner... Now you're just another 4thGen wannabe poser.

It's not 'what you have' that is important. It is 'what you are GOING to have' that really counts.

Free post!

A block of scrap wood under your rear end can do wonders for your traction. And it is free! Next mod, how to weld a metal mail box to your hood and run some dryer ducting down to your carburetor for a cheap ram air setup! I'm the King of Cheap! (yes, and it is a good thing that ignorance is still free...)

I raced a Yugo with my 383 Vortec blown TPI stroker and beat it by 40 car lengths! The other guy couldn't drive! What a moron!

Mustang owners are all gay. Why *FORD* sells so many Rustangs, we'll never know...

2.8 liter V6s can run over 140mph with just a few mods...

The ruder you are to people, the cooler you are on the boards.

305s are for gays. Only a homo would own a 305 powered F-body. They're not real F-bodies anyway. Unless they have a carburetor on them, then they are the ****!

Nothing beats a 305 or 350 with a carburetor on top! Nothing!

A 305 Chevy is not a real motor.

In order to beat a 302 Mustang, you have to have a 350 minimum and preferably a 383, a 400, or a 454.

The biggest ******* is always the winner of any argument, and considered to be the coolest and most knowledgeable person.

When people insult your most dedicated board members or those who take up for you on a constant basis, sit back and don't do a thing about it. When people insult your wife, she will pull the plug on the whole damn site and you and her will go hide for several weeks and leave EVERYONE hanging in nowhere e-space wondering WTF happened... Especially those who sent you money to buy the new system that you are running on.

We don't want any trash on OUR site, so lets go trash someone else's site. We're too good to have that kind of stuff on our site.

Let's go trash ANOTHER site, and then leave our sigs and lead the other people back over HERE to OUR board. And then get mad that those people would come over here and trash OUR website. What a bunch of losers on those OTHER boards ... going around trashing people's websites.

We don't need a non-tech board. We want to keep our site "pure." (and boring...)
Old 02-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

what a flame... he even posted usernames... lol... this guy has some serious problems if he can write that much about how GREAT TBI is, and then still have the energy and time to write about how crappy TGO is... he talks crap on f-bodies while he owns an iroc... i talks about how TPI sucks, especially on 350cid's cuz it was designed for the 305, yet he is using TPI on his 400+cid...

"A 305 Chevy is not a real motor."

really now... who can say that after they have written a 2500 word crapfest about how great the LO3 is... what an idiot...