TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Edelbrock Perfomer multipoint EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Red Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Edelbrock Perfomer multipoint EFI

Edelbrock makes a multi point efi that combines with your Tbi throttle body and computer. Its for 350 TBI Trucks but so is the holley 670. I like this Idea above all others that i have read. Instead of messing with the TB, Just bypass it with a mulit point intake manifold. This system still uses your stock ecm, you still have your TB(minus injectors)along with the CAI mod Or OAE. The system does get dangerously close to TPI Concepts, but because its designed for TBI it should be looked at. Obviously you will have to upgrade your fuel pump, and many chips burns would be in its future, but the gains,oh so many gains from direct injection. Any input out there on this set-up?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula WS6
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt; 3.42 Posi
Re: Edelbrock Perfomer multipoint EFI

Originally posted by JohnyJacknife
Edelbrock makes a multi point efi that combines with your Tbi throttle body and computer. Its for 350 TBI Trucks but so is the holley 670. I like this Idea above all others that i have read. Instead of messing with the TB, Just bypass it with a mulit point intake manifold. This system still uses your stock ecm, you still have your TB(minus injectors)along with the CAI mod Or OAE. The system does get dangerously close to TPI Concepts, but because its designed for TBI it should be looked at. Obviously you will have to upgrade your fuel pump, and many chips burns would be in its future, but the gains,oh so many gains from direct injection. Any input out there on this set-up?
i saw the system about a year ago and was intrigued. there was also an episode of horsepower tv where they put one on chuck's indy pace truck. picked up a lot of power.

the main problem with using it on an f-body is the ecm. i think you can adapt the truck ecm's for our cars, i remember seeing them post about it in the diy-efi section, but you'd still be at ground zero with chip tuning.

i think you could probably swap to a tpi computer, but again, a lot of tuning.

i've seen these go for between 600 and 1000 on ebay, but it still wouldn't be a bolt on. trucks use different linkages and egr, so you'd have some work there, too.

i think you could probably pick up a used tpi with aftermarket base and runners for less than it would cost you to adapt the edelbrock m.p.f.i., it'd be much simpler to install and the tpi with improved base and runners would probably outperform the edelbrock unit as well.

i emailed edelbrock about it and asked why they didn't make the system for our cars, but all they said was they had no plans to do so in the immediate future.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:30 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: Edelbrock Perfomer multipoint EFI

Originally posted by JohnyJacknife
Woahah.

It has *nothing* to do with "TPI concepts". I think your confusing TPI with MPFI.

If one could obtain the manifold say, on ebay for rather cheap it might be worth it. Otherwise, if you wanna go fast (using MPFI instead of tbi). then look into a singleplane EFI setup.

You get the best of both worlds. THe quick throttle response, and direct air flow of a center mounted TB (that you tbi guys are used to), and the multiport fuel injection that the TPI guys almost got.

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/p...s/singleplane/

Check out my setup above. I'm all about MPFI, but I just couldn't deal with the million mile TPI runner, heavy manifold, etc anymore.

-- Joe
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Re: Re: Edelbrock Perfomer multipoint EFI

Originally posted by seanof30306
the main problem with using it on an f-body is the ecm. i think you can adapt the truck ecm's for our cars, i remember seeing them post about it in the diy-efi section, but you'd still be at ground zero with chip tuning.

i think you could probably swap to a tpi computer, but again, a lot of tuning.

i've seen these go for between 600 and 1000 on ebay, but it still wouldn't be a bolt on. trucks use different linkages and egr, so you'd have some work there, too.

i think you could probably pick up a used tpi with aftermarket base and runners for less than it would cost you to adapt the edelbrock m.p.f.i., it'd be much simpler to install and the tpi with improved base and runners would probably outperform the edelbrock unit as well.

i emailed edelbrock about it and asked why they didn't make the system for our cars, but all they said was they had no plans to do so in the immediate future.
I'm not sure if that setup would flow more or less than TPI, i'd have to see what port size, etc it is. Getting something like a victor efi, or a stealth ram and a '730 sounds like a better solution.

-- Joe
Old 08-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS Convertible
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
anesthes, that single plane efi manifold looks great. I see that as the ultimate step up in my future once I have an engine to justify it. But, yeah like he said, I think even if you were to just get a good single plane manifold and get some injector bosses put on it you'd save some money and just upgrade to a 730 computer I think that'd work pretty good.

Anesthes, are you running a 749 with that setup? Is it pretty strong and running well?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:23 PM

The edlebrock still might be a good choice, if you have put a L05 in you car with the ecm that you got it from. I would think at that point the swap would be RELATIVELY easy. This Kit is designed for those engines. In any situation with changing your electronic fuel system you will have to tune it. I want to put a LO5 in my car then add the MPFI to it. I think that would be very straight forward. And i must stress that since Edelbrock make their kit with The LO5 ECM in mind: There would be alot less wirning work. As for the price it is a little high. But its about as high as other new Fuel injection system with similar power claims. So this seems to be a case of preferences and situations.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 PM

And anesthes your EFI is cool. That supercharger must make you smile ALOT . But did you have to make your EFI system? I would rather just buy the Edlebrock and slap it on the LO5. And excuse my misphrasing: "TPI concepts". I simply meant its more like TPI than TBI but that its intended use is for TBI. I am not resourceful enough to find a good manifold, make injector bungs, fabricate a fuel rail, and design a wiring system(not to mention anyhing else that I don't even know about).I will buy one that has everything I need though. And I don't want TPI, I like the look of a crome air cleaner, it's classy.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

If you're going to go with that expensive Edelbrock system I really hope you're not just putting it on top of an LO5. An LO5 is a choked motor, your stock TBI will run an LO5 just fine. If you want to justify the mpfi system you need to use that LO5 block, get some good heads, and throw a nice big roller cam in it. Get a motor that can make some real power before spending the money on an mpfi system, you won't gain much at all on a stock LO5.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:54 PM

You Nailed it budy thats exactly what I am doing. Bigger Heads Nice cam. The Works
Old 08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Cool, that should be a nice setup then but I'd really like to know how the edelbrock system uses the stock computer to control 8 injectors and are injectors supplied with the system? If they are, then how big are they?
Old 08-17-2004, 09:16 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Yes, running a '749.

If you have time and patience, anything is possible.

If I recall, the edelbrock setup gives you a replacement prom. They prolly spent a good amount of time recalibrating the code to batch fire 8 injectors.

My advice is, if you go mpfi, use a '730. Stay away from custom/proprietary stuff.

As far as buying a pre made singleplane EFI intake, check out edelbrock's victor EFI. Or look at some of the holley, or accel products.

-- Joe