TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

5.7 Tbi

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 GMC SC SWB
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: 700r4
5.7 Tbi

Hey guys, first off I'd like to say that this is an awesome sight. I've searched everywhere for information on TBI modifications and perfromance and this by far the best place to gather it.

:hail:

I just wanted to come and gather some information/advice on the motor I'm building. I have a 4.3 sitting in my truck right now but I'm building a 5.7 that I hope to have up and running right by march. Anyway, this is what I have so far:

5.7 block from a donor caprice. (I am just using the block which I am having completely rebuilt.)

L98 heads. (Three angle valve job, mild port job, Z28 springs, etc.)

Well the goal is a pretty stout daily driver so these are the other mods I plan on adding:

Edelbrock intake. (it's a direct bolt-up)

LT1 or ZZ4 Roller cam (which ever will give me the best performance)

1.6 roller rocker arms

All of the other add ons (turbo city blue printed throttle body, fuel pressure regulator, 65lb injectors, etc.)

A police chip (because I don't want to deal with too much guess work and I don't have the time to learn to burn my own proms... yet)

I'm aiming at 285-300 rwhp so any advice or suggestion towards that goal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

:lala:
Old 12-26-2003, 09:03 AM

thats a good start. Have you done anything to the ignition? How about the exhaust? With those modifications, if you keep the stock exhaust you're gonna be choking your engine a bit. Think about a catback, at the least. Some headers would also be a good idea. Oh, and an open element air cleaner with a K&N. You'll definietly need this stuff with the ZZ4 cam, if you use it. You'll see more power with the ZZ4 and a i think it stands a better chance of helping you reach your goal. If you dont mind a slightly rough idle

It seems to me that that will be a strong daily driver. Welcome to the boards!

Last edited by Berlinetta; 12-26-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:39 AM

Car: 1982 GMC SC SWB
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: 700r4
The Exhaust

Sorry, I forgot to mention what I was planning on doing with the exhaust. Well I wanted to go with a pair of thorley tri-ys and a true dual exhaust with high flow cats and and magnaflow mufflers, dumped before the rear end (this engine comsumes most of my thoughts). Hopefully that will give me a good healthy rumble.

Yeah, somebody told me that the ZZ4 cam would be a good choice for my motor but then I heard good things about the LT1 cam and since it could be found a lot cheaper I thought it would probably suffice. Does anyone know the part number for the ZZ4 roller cam. I see them on ebay all the time but I don't know how to tell if it's the real deal.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

There are two things you will need to change. At leat look at one and thats is a bigger tb. I would think that a 454tb or Holley 670tb would be a minumun with at least 85# injectors. And you can not use the cop chip in your ecm because there different and are not interchangeable.

Steve
Old 12-26-2003, 09:20 PM

Warning - w/o chip tuning there is NO need to be dumping more fuel in with a SB TBI. Believe me, people on this site told me I would need more FP, 65pph injectors blah blah bull****.

No. Not without chip tuning...here I go starting a flame war. But if you're like me and want to get it running, keep your 305 injectors or 350 injectors with the stock fpr and chip.

We couldn't even get the car started without a TB fire because of it flooding with 65pph injectors, stock fpr and the 350 caprice chip from tbichips.com.

I now run 55pph injectors, the GMVAFPR, 1" spacer, injector spacer and ultimate TBI and i still run rich at WOT. Due to CHIP TUNING. I'm waiting patiently on the prominator since it seemingly will come out soon. Just be warned, you will need chip tuning. I can't wait to unlock the power of my engine...I only ran a 15.6 with my setup...and that was the first time and only time at the track for me and a serious lack of tuning.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

I admit I may have gone a little overbored on the injector size but you will need as much air as possible.

Fredless, that may be one reason you're still running rich a wot.

Steve