TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

here we go i made this as complete as possible so its long

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: TBD
here we go i made this as complete as possible so its long

I did the AFPR and 02sensor tuning this weekend, left it at stock settings. My car is running at .957 to 1.V all the time, well with small fluctuations to .2 but for about a millisecond the article said 950 a WOT was optimal the thing is my car is running like that all the time. Also it’s running rich for a period after I let off the gas, rich enough to stumble, rich enough to try and cut off. When the car is warm when I start it either pretends it won't like its not getting gas or it will start stumble die and its weird cause if i try again then it starts. I know for sure one injector is doing better than the other for sure but not by much. I interrupted the injectors with a finger and one side is spraying more fuel than the other and I’m glad its running rich not lean cause my headers are going on soon but I have a feeling that the rich condition and my previously .35 gapped plugs are the reason the car ran high on the HC's at the emissions station. Since then I’ve got 8mm Taylor plug wires, MSD coil (no box though), .45 gapped plugs, ACCEL module. I was trying to burn off more gas. My car pulls very nice between 2.5k and 5k. So what do u think, should i lean it out as far as possible and tune or just wait for headers? What temp is your TBI running at? Mine never goes past 180; at least that’s what the temp gauge says. It rises to 160 or 180 and stays, hey should the car run diff with o2 unplugged at idle or am I being paranoid. I know its long but I wanted you to know everything so u could see the whole situation.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:40 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Well, headers are going to lean out your motor anyway so you might just wait and see if it runs better with the headers. The more air flow that the motor is capable of the leaner it will run. So open element, ult. tbi mods, intake, headers, full exhuast, and better heads will all lean a motor out. You might try running winaldl on a laptop that way you can actually see your o2, blm's, and int's. They all have readings concerning rich/lean.

With the headers the motor will probably run alittle hotter around town, mine does. But mine usually will never go higher than 200 even.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: TBD
oh and i have open element too
ultimate tbi mods on the way,
plugs were white before o2 and black this time
also the car is lots faster when the engine is cold i assume its cuase underhood heat is a hp killer
Old 06-17-2003, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Rally Sport
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by redcamaro83
underhood heat is a hp killer
Remove your rear hood seal. If you are worried about water getting in there then you can just take a foot or so off of both sides so water doesn't get on anything critical, but most people have had no problems at all with removing the entire thing.

Later,
Harry