TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

No start, no fuel, electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 25th Anny Daytona 500 T/A
Engine: Stock...inoperative... 305
Transmission: Automatic
No start, no fuel, electric problem

My tale of woe...
Last fall while driving the car ('83 pace car) it died and would not restart. Had it towed home. Initial troubleshooting told me I had an electrical problem because I could *see* the injectors squirting fuel (CFI) and the engine turned over easily, but would not start. I let it sit over the winter. Started troubleshooting last month and found out the coil checked bad. Replaced coil and when I tried to start it, it would turn over easily, but now I'm not getting any fuel out of the injectors. Replaced the ignition module today with same results. Also noticed today that the engine dash instrument guage needles move, but I'm not getting any idiot lights at all. Fuel pump works (can hear it) and I get fuel out of the tubing at the injectors.
So... no idiot lights, and no input to the injectors... Are these related? Anybody have any idea what to check next? Can I troubleshoot the computer, or is that beyond the realm of a driveway mechanic? I've looked thru about four different manuals and they aren't much help...
Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by ops32; 04-05-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:41 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Check your fuses. Other than that i would guess it to be a computer problem.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:51 PM

Car: Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
If you let it sit for while the fuel might have sludged up in the lines, filter, pump, tank, pump pick-up line, injectors.....

I'd say replace the fuel filter and when you do check to see if you get any sludge out of the lines when you have it off, if you do then there's your problem but its going to be a bitch to clean out those lines.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Frik92RS
If you let it sit for while the fuel might have sludged up in the lines, filter, pump, tank, pump pick-up line, injectors.....

I'd say replace the fuel filter and when you do check to see if you get any sludge out of the lines when you have it off, if you do then there's your problem but its going to be a bitch to clean out those lines.

Good luck!
I disconnected the fuel line at the (first) injector and got fuel flow when the pump was activated. It doesn't appear to be fuel related. Something is not sending signals to the injectors...
Rob
Old 04-07-2003, 03:19 PM

I think something may have happened when you changed the coil.

There is a distributor reference singnal that comes from the back of the distributor. Without it the computer will not command the injectors to fire. Make sure both plugs are hooked on the back of the distibutor. Two should also be hooked up to the coil. Make sure all the plugs are seated properly, check the wires condition and check for corrosion on the pins or bent / missing pins.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Dan W
I think something may have happened when you changed the coil.

There is a distributor reference singnal that comes from the back of the distributor. Without it the computer will not command the injectors to fire. Make sure both plugs are hooked on the back of the distibutor. Two should also be hooked up to the coil. Make sure all the plugs are seated properly, check the wires condition and check for corrosion on the pins or bent / missing pins.
Everything checked out OK as far as I can tell on the distributor connectors. I unplugged and replugged everything on the distributor. Still no fuel...
Rob
Old 08-30-2003, 09:04 PM

UGH! No answer left on this thread either... This is COMPLETELY my issue... and I have no answer. Can anyone assist me here?

My injectors don't fire. Pin A6 stays >9v during cranking, no SES light, engine won't start. I've hot wired the FP via the override terminal in the relay, and still the injectors just aren't firing.

HELP PLEASE!!!:hail:
Old 08-30-2003, 09:35 PM

i had this problem once. my solution was a bad ground at the pump and the ECM. one thing you might want to make sure is to check the wires and make certain they arent arcing on the block or arent pinched, frayed somewhere, and if possible use di-electric grease in the weather pack terminals, i have used it threwout my car with no problems.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:41 PM

Well ya see the thing is that when I spray a few seconds of carb clean down the TBI, the motor WILL crank over and run. Unfortunately for me, I can't run it long enuf to find out if the injectors fire at that point... Its 10:15PM here, and I've got OPEN EXHAUST MANIFOLDS... Its just a lil loud sitting out there on the drive way!