TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

New guy wanting to switch to TBI

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy wanting to switch to TBI

Hello all, new to the board, this looks to be a great resourse for TBI users so I thought I'd see if you guys can help me out. I've got a 327 with vortech heads and a perf rpm manifold, the cam is a comp xe 256, has a edl 600 cfm carb right now but with cold weather and not so great fuel economy, I'm thinkin of goin tbi. some things I'm wonderin.
What is the cfm rating on a stock 350 tbi? I think its 670 for 454 ones right?
Could I use a complete bb setup? or would a sb computer run the bb tbi?
can I put bb injectors on a sb tbi? or are there readilly available higher flow ones?
if all I can find is a sb tbi what are the best ways to increase flow from experience? injector spacers? mild porting work?
who makes a good high po tbi fuel pump?
can I do a lot of tuning with an adjustable fpr? or is it worth it?
If I'm going junkyarding, whats the best vehicle to pull a tbi off? are there diffs between say f body, truck or impala tbi's of the same year? what about the ecm is there one that "learns quick" is smaller size and generally easy to work on?
I want to have room to grow too, the perf rpm and vortech heads have 400+hp potential, just need air/fule flow and the right cam. So if I can start out ahead from the begining great!

Phew! ok it would be super awsome if any of these ?s could be touched upon, answered etc.! or any tips, experience and such. like hp figs for combos somewhat like mine!
Thanks very much so for the help! I've got other types of experience so I'll do my best to help others.
Beauty!

Thanks
Jesse
Old 01-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

you coudl run that motor with a small block tb if you wanted to, using 350 injectors woudl be the best idea. do teh ultimate mods to teh tb and it will see enough air flow to support it, if you happen to find a BBC tb you shoudl grab it, it si always good to have mroe air available.
you can grab a small block tb off anything really. teh 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7's all used teh same tb's. if you can find a full size or truck wiht a 350 in it you will be starting out ahead of teh game though since you are gonna need that fuel capacity anyway.
as far as teh computer and wiring go, i woudl suggest that you look for a 747 computer. it seems to be teh ecm that the most development is being poured into right now and prolly one of the best known ones for tuning from. whatever ecm you grab, be sure to get teh distributor too. electronic advance control is one of the largest advantages for efi systems.
you can go a good ways tunign with fuel pressure and base timing, but you will be leaving a lot on the table. doing the DIY AFPR is definately a good idea and it only takes a few minutes anway.
hope this helps, good luck with your swap.

later
tim
Old 01-18-2003, 05:43 PM

good stuff, thanks for the help. What do I find a 747 ecm in? any tbi vehicle, certain types or years? I've got no clue when it comes to that! but hey I learn quick.
Thanks!
Jesse