TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

FastChip Ques.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 SS, 88 IROC
Engine: Lt1, TPI
Transmission: m6,a4
Axle/Gears: 3.90. 3.73
FastChip Ques.

So I am plaining on ordering the Stage 2 Chip from Ed W. I know I need the 160 stat. But do I need to also get the fan switch that summit sells with this chip? Or Ed's chip has it programmed in already???

Last edited by Formula305FI; 10-26-2002 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

off the shelf generic bs chip. waste o'cash.
do the ultimate mods, the diy afpr, and advance your base timing and you will get an even bigger gain for not even a tenth of the price.
if you want a lower stat and lower temp fan switch just go to yoru local parts store. in teh isle that all teh t-stats are in or on their counter you will see a book where you can look up what stat is supposed to be in your car. 99% of these catalogs also list a lower temp part number for both teh stat and fan switch. fan switches are pretty much universal in gm, they used the same ones, only changing tghe connector at soem point, from teh time they started putting electric fans onto cars. soif you don't see the one you want listed under your car, just check other gm cars from 88 up until you see one tha tlists the on and off temp you liek and buy that one.

later
tim
Old 10-26-2002, 11:10 PM

Car: 96 SS, 88 IROC
Engine: Lt1, TPI
Transmission: m6,a4
Axle/Gears: 3.90. 3.73
Hey Tim, I would do the Ultim. Mods but that would leave me car less for a couple days which I cannot be without. G.F. dont let me take her car really. I was waiting on doing the Adj. Fuel Pressure untill I slapped in my lt1 cam with my edelbrock TBI intake. Any other suggestions... Headers are up in the air at this point. Being as I dont want to spend 300+$$$ on emission legal headers at this time. So I thought the chip, well atleast the fastchips - chip would be a nice little improvement.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

a chip is little to no improvement. when i ran one in my car i actually slowed down. for the price tag that these chips carry you shoudl look for another place to spend your money to get a much larger gain.
even if you go to a junk yard and pick up another tb and stock fpr to do the mods on you will still be far ahead of the game. even if you buy a tb that has already been done, they usually only go for about 50-65
for a similar price to the chip you can pick up a used edelbrock performer tbi intake. you can get a 3.42 V6 rear for cheap from a salvage yard and throw in teh posi unit later if money is tite(most yards sell rears for 50-100 and the slp posi is only $99)
if you really wanna pick up a little on the cheap go to teh parts store, get the 160t-stat, lower temp fan switch, and a higher pressure rad cap(liek a 22-24 psi unit) adn advance your base timing to about 6degrees.
sorry if i came off a bti short. i just hate to see peopel waste money on junk off the shelf chips. they are made in a very generic manor and are far too conservative to justify their price. even the "custom" chips that these shops put otu are questionable. they just take a few reasonable guesses based on what mods you list on a sheet of paper and slap them together into a chip. real gains come from data logging, it is the only way to truely see what your car actually is doing and what it needs to perform better.

later
tim
Old 10-27-2002, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92RS
Engine: 357
Transmission: 700R4
If you change cams and manifolds with out first doing headers and complete exhaust you will be vary disapointed. Exhaust work produces large gains on these cars.