TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Just got my LT1 cam, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
Originally posted by TBI305Camaro
brodys...arent you running a road demon?
i am running a holley 600 cfm double pumper without the choke tower(its been cut off and smoothed while it was being rebuilt). i have heard a thousand times not to use a double pumper with an automatic, but i think it is awesome. i can smoke the tires through first pretty easy from 600 rpms or any other rpms for that matter. i have never used a vaccuum secondary carb though so i dont know if it would be better(how could it ).
Old 10-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

oh yeah click the pic in my sig for more information
Old 10-05-2002, 01:41 AM
Supreme Member

I think the whole point of vac secondaries is to NOT smoke the tires through first. With a vac secondary carb dont you get a slight delay before the secondaries open? Smoking the tires is not good...looks cool but not good in a race. If i go carb i want to go with a reliable carb that i can tune to start in 0 degree weather because here in a month or so im gonna have to.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

I think the whole point of vac secondaries is to NOT smoke the tires through first. With a vac secondary carb dont you get a slight delay before the secondaries open? Smoking the tires is not good...looks cool but not good in a race. If i go carb i want to go with a reliable carb that i can tune to start in 0 degree weather because here in a month or so im gonna have to.
vac. secondaries open up as your engine needs the flow - therefore you dong bog it down at low rpms. you might get some delay but it is because your engine doesnt what all the flow yet.

Smoking the tires is not good...looks cool but not good in a race.
are you crazy its not good for racing, but it is fun for the street. also i rather run 14s with a 2.5 sec 60' then 14s with a 1.6 sec 60' time. at least if you have traction problems you can put on slicks, change suspension, and other stuff to go faster. remember when i was smoking the tires through the gear it was only on 255/50-16 kumhos that werent warmed up. a good tire or just warming up the kumhos good would yield better results, plus just being on a track would yield better traction.

If i go carb i want to go with a reliable carb that i can tune to start in 0 degree weather because here in a month or so im gonna have to.
well, get choke. i dont have it, never did. but i have defineatly driven vehicles where you can start it up in cold weather and start driving as soon as you can put it in gear. i dont mind not having no choke, but it also doesnt get that cold here, although the car wont run very well if you just start it up in the morning and take off - in fact it wont run at all. no big deal IMO.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Think a properly tuned holley street avenger would start in the cold? Thats my biggest concern right now. If i do the swap i need something that will start in cold weather. Buddy of mine bought a carbed truck last winter and it wouldnt start because the choke was missing so he boiught a holley carb...it starts now but runs like **** because he hasnt adjusted it...
Old 10-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Supreme Member

Think a properly tuned holley street avenger would start in the cold? Thats my biggest concern right now. If i do the swap i need something that will start in cold weather. Buddy of mine bought a carbed truck last winter and it wouldnt start because the choke was missing so he boiught a holley carb...it starts now but runs like **** because he hasnt adjusted it...
yep, but you have to have it adjusted right and the choke has to work correctly. if in the winter you temp never gets, lets say, 160*, tune your carb to run right at 160*. i would suggest possibly getting it tuned by a professional, for the first time, call around. i had a pro tune my car with a vaccum gauge, and it worked miracles. i tuned it with one before and it just wasnt as good. you are gonna have to tune the carb for it to run real good, and you might even have to do it twice a year(a computer guy would say that that is hell )
Old 10-05-2002, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Actually cancel my last statement. I found some S/R Torquers for a good price. So that takes care of most of my issues, except for what timing chain to get....and do I still need new lifters?

Also, since I should be getting the Ultimate TBI mods done soon by Camaroracer1992, wouldn't it be easier to install an actual fuel pressure gauge before I reinstall the TBI unit?
Old 10-05-2002, 11:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
Actually cancel my last statement. I found some S/R Torquers for a good price. So that takes care of most of my issues, except for what timing chain to get....and do I still need new lifters?

Also, since I should be getting the Ultimate TBI mods done soon by Camaroracer1992, wouldn't it be easier to install an actual fuel pressure gauge before I reinstall the TBI unit?
i would put a fuel pressure gauge in it. search for a bunch of info and pics on that. heres a good timing chain. supposed to be just like the cloyes

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=669
Old 10-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by brodyscamaro
i would put a fuel pressure gauge in it. search for a bunch of info and pics on that. heres a good timing chain. supposed to be just like the cloyes

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=669
Thanks man. It's all startin' to come together....except for that damn shuttering (check the TECH board).