Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

emergency / parking brake cables 1991

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002 | 03:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
emergency / parking brake cables 1991

So...I need a parking brake cable.

I have a 91 Z28 with rear disc.

Everywhere I look, there is two "designs". The "1st design" and the "2nd design".

No documentation on what design i might have, how to tell what to order, nothing.

Does anyone know?!

help!!!

EDIT:

here is the parts i am confused on
10164125 (1st design) parking brake cable
10164193 (2nd design) parking brake cable

Last edited by 91L98Z28; 03-31-2002 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2002 | 11:15 AM
Mo

I think the first design was used on earlier years, they were adjustable, I think on like 90 and newer they went to a non adjustable one

EDIT:

How do you like your tranny? I'm about to put that same one in probably next week.
Old 03-31-2002 | 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

mo-

the way my parts book looks (I have the GM one with the green pages), they seem to imply that there is actually two design cables that came on a 91Z with rear disc. They are both listed for 91-92 apps. They don't have any picture or description of the difference either....talk about a useful parts book!

I just got done putting in my pro-built 700r4 today. I went with the street/strip version, built to dana's standard recipe. So far so good. I only have 60 miles on it so I'm still getting used to it. The tranny itself shifts EXACTLY as dana described it to me (and exactly what i asked for). At light throttle, it feels totally stock. At WOT the tranny is very business like....it doesn't mess around at all, it just gets the shift done, and done quick.

As for the 9.5" ACT 2400rpm stall converter, At real light throttle, it's not so noticable. For average driving, you do notice it though. It doesn't feel bad, per se, but it's different. For example, with the stock converter, pulling away from a light while driving normally would result in three distinct rpm advances seperated by the gear shifts. with the ACT, the shifts are still noticable, but the engine hovers more around the same RPM. It's just a different kind of feeling. I can't vouch for any performance gains (my old tranny woudln't shift at WOT and was just really a POS) but at full throttle it does feel nice. I think the term "street/strip" converter applies here. It will work just fine on the street, but it's not as "civilian" as a stock converter. If you drive exclusively in heavy city traffic I don't think I'd recommend it, but for everything else it should be fine. Just like poly bushings and lumpy cams, performance comes with a compromise.
Old 04-01-2002 | 04:12 PM
Mo

Oh well, so much for parts books.

The tranny sounds good, I try not to drive in too much traffic anyway, its no fun. Hopefully I'll have mine in by the end of the week...Did you put it in yourself? I'm trying to decide if I should do it or just pay someone like 300 to do it, I'm not sure I have time with school.
Old 04-01-2002 | 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, I put it in (with assistance - it's a two man job at times).

The ROUGH procedure is:

(1) raise car off ground enough to slide tranny under car while sitting on floor jack

(2) dissasemble front torque arm mount, remove driveshaft, unplug electrical from tranny, disconnect TV cable/dipstick tube/ shifter linkage

(3) support tranny on raised floor jack, remove crossmember

(4) support engine under oil pan and lower tranny just enough to remove anything else you weren't able to remove in step 2. remove all bolts holding tranny to engine and torque converter to flex plate. (You want the converter to come down with the tranny).

(5) lower the tranny the rest of the way. remove torque converter. slide tranny out from under car.

(6) flush coolant lines

(7) repeat procedure in reverse to install new tranny

Somewhere along the way you need to mount a tranny cooler, and when everything is bolted together, you need to check the flex plate - torque converter clearance too. According to dana, 0.100" to 0.125" is proper range - shim if necessary. At least, that was the #'s for my ACT 9.5". Also need three grade 8 bolts + washers + nuts to mount converter to flexplate - factory style converter is threaded for bolts, the ACT is not.

It took me and my help about 12-13 hours to do the complete job. (saturday afternoon and a healthy part of sunday).

The upper four bolts on the tranny to block mounting can be quite difficult to get to.

good luck!

nick
Old 04-02-2002 | 08:18 PM
Mo

Thanks Man, I hope you get the cable stuff figured out.