Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Questions about axle modifications when converting from drums to discs (not 1LE)!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
Questions about axle modifications when converting from drums to discs (not 1LE)!

I have a few questions in regards to a drum to disc swap. Right now I have a 9 bolt disc rear end and since I can't find a disc rear end with better gearing to swap right in, I'm planning on getting a drum rear end and modifying it to accept my disc hardware. I could care less right now about upgrading to 1LE or 4th gen discs, I just want to know what has to be modified on the drum brake axles to accept my disc hardware. I've heard that the backing plate flange is different and has to be grinded down and a hole or two has to be drilled. Can someone explain this further? And is there anything else that has to be done? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:50 PM

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: PT88 Turbo DART 406
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 9" ford
Well Not sure on sizes and what not but Im going to be installing my 9" ford in about 2 weeks...when I do Ill have a 9 BOLT with DISK brakes sitting here collecting rust...

The condition of the rear is questionable....I believe that a bearing has gone bad....The fluid had a lot of metal in it aand it had somewhat of a whine when driving....When I opened the case the gears had NORMAL wear and looked OK...Rather than diagnose it I decided to get a 9" ford and be done with it.... Its a posi rear with 3.27 gears...Not really sure what I want out of it yet but am willing to accept offers on it... It would be complete MINUS the metal line.....Im saying complete as in Rear end posi gears axles Rotors Brake calipers pads ect ect.....Basically whatever Itake out of the car and dont need to reuse is going...I got a wilwod kit and all I need to take is the proportioning valve and the metal line from the back....You can transfer your LINE but would need a disk brake proportioning valve as it is different than a drum one..Unless you already have an adjustable valve...

Kenwood
ICON Motorsports
Old 03-24-2002, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
I already have disc brakes so I have the proportioning valve. I would buy that rear end off you but the only problem that I have is shipping. An entire rear end is heavy. I've been looking local and have had no luck. I might be interested in buying just the carrier and gears if you want to sell just them. Shipping would be alot cheaper for just those items.