Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

flat spot on rim

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flat spot on rim

I just bought a set of GTA rims and tires. I took the tires off to polish up the wheels and remove the chipped clear coat. I notices both front rims have a bit if a flat spot on the back side of the rim where the bead seals. I did not notice it when I bought them. I think the wheels run true in line with the lug nuts. It looks like they hit a curb or something. If everything other than the small flat spot is good and if they balance ok should I use them? Does anyone else have this and still using the wheels? Hell I have seen steel wheels alot worst with people using them. Of coarse they are on junk most of the time.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 pontiac TA
Engine: 360 HSR
Transmission: 700r4 3300 yank converter
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt
Re: flat spot on rim

Originally posted by 89blackbird
I just bought a set of GTA rims and tires. I took the tires off to polish up the wheels and remove the chipped clear coat. I notices both front rims have a bit if a flat spot on the back side of the rim where the bead seals. I did not notice it when I bought them. I think the wheels run true in line with the lug nuts. It looks like they hit a curb or something. If everything other than the small flat spot is good and if they balance ok should I use them? Does anyone else have this and still using the wheels? Hell I have seen steel wheels alot worst with people using them. Of coarse they are on junk most of the time.
so long as it hasn't flattened into the mounting bead area, it will be fine. if it has affected the bead mounting, area it will make the tire deform in that area and cause some vibration. even if you balance the rim and tire, it would still be like an egg. balanced but not round. if not too badly bent, may not notice. and so long as not cracked, shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:15 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds like the set of GTA rims I purchased from a guy here. luckily he took them back..... and then prolly sold them to you
Old 03-15-2002, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought them on Staten Island. I was told one rim had been fixed and you could clearly see that. The other one you could not see the damage untill the tire was off. I also found a nail in one tire once it was off. I spent many hours repolishing the wheels and repairing them.At this point the local tire shop says they should be ok. I will see when I get the car out this summer. If there is no vibrations I will be happy. If there is a problem I got screwed.