Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

which is better....air shocks or air springs??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: Vortec 355
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: GM Axles and GM 3.73
which is better....air shocks or air springs??

i was lookin through jcwhitney and i was wondering which is better......

like which gives a smoother ride?
which gets you better launches?
which raises your rear end higher aka holds more weight?
and anything else that would make me want to buy one over the other......thanks
Old 03-02-2002, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

I have no expereince with air shocks...but, but dad's 94 Crown Victoria with the High performance package has air springs in the back. (also has dual exhuast, and better springs than regular CV...). Anyways, the way those work dont give ya a btter lauch cuz it seems they resist wieght transfer - then again, maybe not, I mean, it got 235 HP, but its hard 2 spin off the line (heavy though). Also, I LOVE the air springs - relatively firm handling (for a Vic!!), plus when the car is running, they inflate so that the rear is up a little, it looks sharp, and I am sure at least helps downforce a LITTLE on the freeway. I dunno how much this helps, but thats my experience w/ air springs..
Old 03-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
They both suck. Air shocks are just an add on airbag to an existing shock. Air springs are used to replace the entinre spring and are expensive. I wouldn't use either. They give you a bouncy ride, shocks can't keep up with the added stiffness. If you want to be able to haul more stuff you can try add on air bags that go inside of the rear springs. I have heard of guys using these to preload the right rear a little at the track, but only on high HP cars that tend to yank the left front off the ground a little sooner than the right front.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

well the only reason why im considering about getting these is becuz when i get 3+ people in my car my rear end hangs low and bottoms out and stuff.....and i dont want that to happen anymore

would performance springs fix it?
Old 03-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
they make what they call progressive rate springs that get stiffer as they compress that might help. Your parts store can get them i just don't know the part number right off the top of my head You can go the air rout but just don't expect it to work as well as a stiffer springs.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

well since you say that the arent so good at cornering and stuff then i dont think im gonna use the air systems
cuz i go out street racing sometimes and i try to get out to the drag strip a lot when i can.....and i want my car to b able to plant the tires

thanks
Old 03-06-2002, 01:07 AM

I have air lift airbags INSIDE my springs. Summit sells them. I usually have about 7psi in them to stiffen the rear slightly. They helped the handling a great deal. You can inflate them independantly to preload the right side for better launch. Air shocks are completely different and on most cars cause the frame to eventually crack from too much stress. I have the air bags in my 88 and in my 69 Chevelle. Definitly the cheapest way and the most effective. If you mostly race, you can go halves with a buddy and each use one air bag on the right. It won't help when loaded down though. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:29 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear upper shock-mounts can't handle air shocks without some reinforcement (welding plates). You'd tear up your floorpan if you used those.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
What Jza said! I've run air shocks since '94 (and yes, I have larger tires that fill the gap), and I cracked both of the upper shock mounts. They're just holes in the sheetmetal of the body; maybe 1/8" thick. Over time, the stress of the air shock will "fatigue" the upper shock mount holes, and the holes will finally crack through. (Think of bending a piece of wire back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and *snap*!)

I had to rebuild 'em with 1/4" of steel (two 1/8" strip stock plates, stacked) on each side, with 4 big bolts.

But, I don't see much sway from them; my car handles pretty good. With them inflated to 90 PSI, they can't really compress at all. I think I'm losing them soon, though. I think I might go with a shorter/thinner tire, and bring the back of the car down a bit. (Rear tires are currently P275/60r15's on 15x8 rims.)

Oh, and my frame is still intact, thanks. The first set of air shocks went on at about 80,000 miles, and I'm now at 230,000 miles, give or take a few.

If the spring perch on the axle could be RAISED, that would raise the car. Then, regular aftermarket performance shocks could be used! This is another thing I'm thinking over.