Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Car is still riding hard.... what next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car is still riding hard.... what next?

I've gone ahead and replaced my COMPLETELY dead shocks and struts with my new KYB's (Gas-A-Just and GR2's respectivley). Though the car feels MUCH better, it is still riding WAY to hard and make me worry sometimes. I figure the next step is to replace my springs....but, what comes after that? What else can I do to make it ride better? Heh, I'm lookin for REAL basic to EXTREMELY Involved stuff. I'm not racing it or anything, but I still want better than average ride and control, as I plan to drop a 385 ZZ4 Fast-Burn into her. Well, if you can give me some idea as to what I should order, please by all means, do it! Suspension is stock, aside from my new Shocks and Struts.

Adam

P.S. - I Also plan on including this in a FAQ I'm writing, so give me as many different ways as possible (Just wanna make this FAQ and distribute it so that people that are just getting started and benifit from my posts and questions, as I can see aren't unique)
Old 02-13-2002, 11:42 PM

What do you mean by riding "hard". If you want more control, you need to put up with a harsher ride, If you want comfort, your in the wrong type of car. Is your car hard and bouncey? That could be too hard of springs for shocks and struts you have.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:35 PM

It was riding like it was broken.... and, as it turns out, it is/was. What it turns out to be is, the bolts holding my front driver-side strut onto the Steering Assembly, are missing thread in the area that the strut actually touches the threads on the bolt, allowing it to have to much play. I know this for a fact, cause I tightened it as much as possible and it rode REALLY well, and no funny noises. But after a while it began to run VERY poorly, and when I went down to check it again, sure enough, ZACT same thing, bolts were loose and were letting the strut move around. So, I gotta go get those bolts from the local auto-parts store (Hope you can get them there ).

Adam
Old 02-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
You are using a good impact on those bolts, right? They require alot of torque. They also must be adjusted by an alignment shop when they are torqued down(that is the camber adjustment) Strut replacement requires an alignment on thirdgen's(and most other cars).
Old 02-15-2002, 03:00 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure some dummy didn't install your rear swaybar upside down (don't ask how I know about that one, just know it causes a tooth-chipping ride).
Old 02-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 406
Transmission: GMPP 93/4L60
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27
What spring codes do you have? You might try some softer springs....I have BZWs on the front with NNNs on the rear. Try Softing up the rear springs and keep the front on the stiffer side this will give you a good combo of ride and handling.

Take a look at your swaybar endlinks, if they are over tightened the car will ride like ****, and not really handle any better.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:54 PM

Hmmm, it looks as though the back sway or track bar is bent.... (Its the peice that bolts into the frame on one side and goes up to a joint on the other, then back up). Where do I check the Spring Codes? I took my car to Tuffy to have them do an alignment, and the MF'ers were gonna charge me $145 for Alignment, the tigtening of the bolt, and Camber alignment. So i said no to the camber (The total was at $75 already) and what happened? Well, about 5 minutes later, the *** DAMN bolt goes loose again! And what more! My car STILL pulls like a MFer, and from the feel of it, the guy didn't do ****. I'm goin back and getting my money back, F0ckin $34 to tighten down a bolt that came loose 5mins later, even though they said "Do you want us to fix your front Strut? Its real loose..." and I said yes. G0d damit.

First the tint guys F-Up
Now Tuffy F's me over and does NOTHING.
I REFUSE to take my car ANYWHERE anymore.

BTW, in an Alignment check..... isn't the Camber supposed to be evaluated and then adjusted acordingly?

ARGH...

Adam
Old 02-18-2002, 01:49 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip
handling or soft ride, cant have both, if you want a softer ride get some soft springs and cut down the size of your front sway bar and eliminate the rear one, also go with a tire rim combo with lots of sidewall. Honostly i like the hard ride and great handling, plus high profile tires look like ****