Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

What should I do about my suspension...(autocross vs drag) LONG

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do about my suspension...(autocross vs drag) LONG

I've been down the 1/4 a few times but I've never autocrossed the car.
Autocrossing looks VERY fun, however with all the mods done to my car there is no way I would ever be competitive. I don't really care though, It just looks like a lot of fun.
I like to throw my car around the turns every once in a while, but I also like traction.
Right now I have nitto 555r's in the rear and some goodyear eagle f1's up front. They both have a few thousand miles left on them.. but they are wearing out.
I have stock suspension.
Lets talk two things, tires and suspension.
#1 Tires.
I'm very impressed with the nitto DR's and I think I'm going to get another set. However, can you autocross with these???? They feel VERY soft on the car (maybe its because I run them around 23psi on the street?)
I've done a search on the internet and found a FEW cars running them on all 4's but I've also had a few people in person tell me its dangerous.
If it were my decision, I'd like to run the 555r's in the back (or 555r II if they come out in my size) and regular street tires in the front.
Would this be a BAD setup for autocross?
It makes the car have severe understeer.
Again, I've never tried airing the DR's up, they just dont seem like a good handling tire to me on the car.
Also, my main point here is getting traction.
I think if I HAD to choose one, I might choose traction > over handling.
#2 Suspension
I've been cruising the boards about suspension lately, and I really dont find too much info. I find a few people reccomending these shocks or these struts or these tires etc, but I never find any people telling you what to run for your cars intentions. (ie handling vs drag racing)
Is there any way to have a handling car that hooks up good at the strip?? I'm looking for a high 12 N/A and a 100 to 125 shot of nitrous this year.
I'm currently pulling mid to low 1.9's in my sixty foot at the track.
If possible I'd like to pull at least 1.8's. I think the car is almost capable of this, with the added power I'll give it this year. (unless it gets worse and I end up with 2.0's)
So, what are some proven setup's. Is the lakewood 70/30 strut/shock setup good for the street and the track? Are there any adjustable shocks/struts I could get that would allow the car to have both characteristics (drag and handling)?
Also, can someone explain to me exactly what the shocks/struts and springs do? Like what do the shocks control? What do the springs control?
Thanks for reading.. If you actually made it this far
ANY help is appreciated, and if you would rather talk to me in person or if you feel you could answer my questions easier in person please IM me with AIM.
My current name is ir0cZZ4 (thats with the # 0)
If I'm not on there, try IrocZzach.
Also I'd just like to add.. I dont know anything about suspension, and everthing I've learned about my car (which is ALOT in the last 3 years) I owe to message boards on the internet like this one and cz28 etc.
I'm glad I found these sites...

12.96 @ 106mph 1.9 60ft
Old 01-24-2002, 07:20 AM

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: TPI 350 ci
Transmission: 5 speed
No, you can't run DR on all four corners, they are not made for the abuse of Auto X'n. You'd be better off with 4 F1's. Go to Tire Rack and checkout the Toyos or the Yokohamas for competition.

As far as susupension, you're talking two different worlds between Drag and Auto X.

Auto X you need the front sway bar, Drag you don't. Both would benefit from a good torque arm, relocation brackets for the LCA's and adjustable panhard rod and LCA's. With Auto x you'd want the spherical rod ends on the axle side of the panhard and LCA's, in Drag racing, poly is ok. Drag racing you want a 90/10 spring up front for launch and landing, in Auto xX you'd want a slightly heavy spring than stock to help with 'plowing' or the understeer that these cars can have.

There are compromises that would have to be made in order to both, well or competitivly. It'd require some work to ready the car for each style, each time, and could be expensive (speed = $). But you can have a fun all around car, though, with a few changes, then just adjust for your events.

Mike
Old 01-27-2002, 12:45 PM

Go all out DRAG! youll need it