Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

What Torque Arm Should Work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Torque Arm Should Work?

I completed my LT1 4l60e swap into my 1989 Firebird and got it running and driving. I ended up breaking my u-joint that bolts to my rear end. I realized afterwards that I do not have a torque arm on this car. What are my options? I have scoured through a few threads and haven't really found anything useful. Basically, I have a b-body trans and my rear end is the stock v6 rear. My trans cross member is just a 7004r one. Can I use BMR's adjustable torque arm and be alright? Could I mount it to my tail shaft on my trans? Ill get some pictures today. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: What Torque Arm Should Work?

Depends if your tran has the provisions for a torque arm mount.

If it does, I wouldn't spend the money on an adjustable torque arm. I'd just find a stock one and the appropriate clam mount that fits it. There are 2 different styles fyi that I know of. Also, there is, or was a difference on mine when I switched from man to auto.

If it doesnt, then you need to buy a torque arm that comes with the crossmember for both the tran and torque arm mount provision.

Up to you if you want it to be adjustable or not. If your making less than 300hp, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money.

The main reason people, well most, go with a torque arm mount that takes it off the tail of the trans is because you can break the tail off when you have the power to do it.

Pics always help.

D
Old 06-21-2020, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

There should be a boat load of information on torque arms here.
google it and select images.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish

Hey Jake,

What's your location?

I'm pulling the rear and TA out of the kids '89 Iroc going with a T56, and pretty sure I can use the 4th gen arm I have for the swap. Times kind of limited for me with OT we're working, so might be tough to ship it.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:45 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 with 4.10’s

He said he has a b-body trans so right there everyone even considering to respond to this should immediately know there is no torque arm mount provision on the trans. He needs a torque arm but he still would have no front mount to install it.

OP, you have 2 options to properly mount your TA. 1. Replace the tail shaft housing and buy the proper torque arm mount for the auto. 2. Get a trans x member that as a torque arm mount provision that takes it off the tail shaft housing. There are 2 types of these. One comes with a torque arm specifically designed for the x member and the other will remotely mount a factory style TA. One is $$ the other is $$$$. UMI and Holley have such x members. Im sure BMR and the others probably do too. Any one of those guys would have a torque arm for your car as well but you’d be wasting a ton of cash buying aftermarket TA for your V6 car. I’m sure a stock replacement one would be available somewhere, any torque arm from 1982 to 2002 will work for you, and they’re cheap.

Last edited by SilverChicken; 06-21-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by SilverChicken
He said he has a b-body trans so right there everyone even considering to respond to this should immediately know there is no torque arm mount provision on the trans. He needs a torque arm but he still would have no front mount to install it.

OP, you have 2 options to properly mount your TA. 1. Replace the tail shaft housing and buy the proper torque arm mount for the auto. 2. Get a trans x member that as a torque arm mount provision that takes it off the tail shaft housing. There are 2 types of these. One comes with a torque arm specifically designed for the x member and the other will remotely mount a factory style TA. One is $$ the other is $$$$. UMI and Holley have such x members. Im sure BMR and the others probably do too. Any one of those guys would have a torque arm for your car as well but you’d be wasting a ton of cash buying aftermarket TA for your V6 car. I’m sure a stock replacement one would be available somewhere, any torque arm from 1982 to 2002 will work for you, and they’re cheap.
Um, he said v6 rear end and You pretty much what I said above. Im not going to spoon feed him. If he can swap a engine and tran he should be able to figure it out.

Not sure where your headed with your first few sentences.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish

He'll still need a TA for the rear end, a little welding on the x-member-or as suggested purchasing another one or a tailshaft-are the options. Neither changes the issue of the need for a TA.
The following users liked this post:
-=Z28=- (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 11:28 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Dude drove his car without the torque arm or at least that’s how he made it sound. You think the lack of a front mount would be any more obvious than a missing torque arm? We know but he may not be aware that the tail shaft housing on a 4L60E for an F body is unique to the platform but no other comment placed any emphasis on that fact. And telling him his missing TA isn’t all of his problems isn’t holding his hand, I gave him complete information and let him take it from there.

Last edited by SilverChicken; 06-21-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:16 AM

Yeah I've done some more research and I think I am going to go with the UMI torque arm and relocation kit. I like the idea of taking the stress off the trans, and if I end up building an LS to swap into this thing then it'll be a worthwhile upgrade in the long run. I was thinking about fabbing my own with my dad but it would take us way to much time I think, plus making it adjustable would be a huge challenge. Lesson learned though, don't drive your car without a torque arm!

Now my issue is figuring out which one to buy. Since the 4l60e wasn't a factory option, there isn't one specifically tailored for that trans. However, I have my transmission mounted using a factory third gen cross member, so I figure I should be able to use the one listed on their website for the 700r4? Is my logic sound or should I be shopping for something else?

I gave them a call and I'm waiting on a call back now.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:17 AM

I didn't know that the F body tailshaft housings are unique with the torque arm mount provisions! So thanks for that!
Old 06-22-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 8Mike9
Hey Jake,

What's your location?

I'm pulling the rear and TA out of the kids '89 Iroc going with a T56, and pretty sure I can use the 4th gen arm I have for the swap. Times kind of limited for me with OT we're working, so might be tough to ship it.
Hi, I think I will upgrade to a better one, since I need the relocation kit anyways. Thank you for the offer though!
Old 06-22-2020, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
Depends if your tran has the provisions for a torque arm mount.

If it does, I wouldn't spend the money on an adjustable torque arm. I'd just find a stock one and the appropriate clam mount that fits it. There are 2 different styles fyi that I know of. Also, there is, or was a difference on mine when I switched from man to auto.

If it doesnt, then you need to buy a torque arm that comes with the crossmember for both the tran and torque arm mount provision.

Up to you if you want it to be adjustable or not. If your making less than 300hp, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money.

The main reason people, well most, go with a torque arm mount that takes it off the tail of the trans is because you can break the tail off when you have the power to do it.

Pics always help.

D
Yeah it seems like a spendy upgrade, but it also seems worth it in the long run. This probably won't be the last engine that this car receives in it's life time. I do not have provisions on my transmission.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:11 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

My biggest issue with the aftermarket arms after cost is that they are needlessly heavy. I bought one for my car and that dang thing is like 3x’s the weight of the factory one. I’ve broken one stock TA in my 17yrs of owning Fbodies and I did that on an aggressive 1-2 shift with a 6spd trans and a great hook. Tore the upper tab off the arm. If you buy the combo TA/x member it’s about $5-600. The x member by itself is ~$300 and then the cheap cost of a stock take-off TA. BTW the 700r4 and 4l60e x members are the same.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

A good choice then I think.
I recently built a torque arm and mount and yes, it's a lot of work and I have all the stuff to do it. I just couldn't justify spending the money. I've got many hours into it. Do a search and check it out if you want. You could to a jegsters short arm. I believe they are significantly less than what your looking at.

Good luck man.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
A good choice then I think.
I recently built a torque arm and mount and yes, it's a lot of work and I have all the stuff to do it. I just couldn't justify spending the money. I've got many hours into it. Do a search and check it out if you want. You could to a jegsters short arm. I believe they are significantly less than what your looking at.

Good luck man.
I will check it out! Thanks!
Old 06-22-2020, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SilverChicken
My biggest issue with the aftermarket arms after cost is that they are needlessly heavy. I bought one for my car and that dang thing is like 3x’s the weight of the factory one. I’ve broken one stock TA in my 17yrs of owning Fbodies and I did that on an aggressive 1-2 shift with a 6spd trans and a great hook. Tore the upper tab off the arm. If you buy the combo TA/x member it’s about $5-600. The x member by itself is ~$300 and then the cheap cost of a stock take-off TA. BTW the 700r4 and 4l60e x members are the same.
Sweet. If I get one it's gonna be the one for the 700r4 trans. I'm checking out some homeade ones now and the x member looks easier to fab than the arm. I might try to make that and then just buy the arm...