Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Hit a curb, need alignment but shop wont fix unless i do other major work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016 | 07:30 PM

Car: 92 camaro rs anniversary edition
Engine: v8 5.0 Tbi
Hit a curb, need alignment but shop wont fix unless i do other major work?

Hi
I hit a curb and it thumps now (sounds/feels like from the rear or front passenger side). Two shops couldn't even get it on the rack. Sears (i know) came back and refuse to do the alignment bcse they say they need to fix a ball joint, bearings and a tie rod...only $800-$1200!
Does that all sound right to you guys? I just want the thumping to stop.
Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-02-2016 | 07:57 PM

Car: 91 Firebird/88 Firebird/91 Formula
Engine: V6 3.1/V8 5.0/V8 5.0
Transmission: 4L60/700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23/2.73/2.73
Re: Hit a curb, need alignment but shop wont fix unless i do other major work?

Jack up the tire and try to move it up and down; and, side to side. Should give a little but unusual play probably means the bearings need to be replaced. Same with the ball joint and tie rod, watch them while you move the tire and see if there is unusual play. The thump may be a bent rim or a bulge on the tire. I hit a curb in my '91 base Firebird and only had a ding in the rim, didn't thump though. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2016 | 08:11 PM

Car: 92 camaro rs anniversary edition
Engine: v8 5.0 Tbi

Originally Posted by antares57
Jack up the tire and try to move it up and down; and, side to side. Should give a little but unusual play probably means the bearings need to be replaced. Same with the ball joint and tie rod, watch them while you move the tire and see if there is unusual play. The thump may be a bent rim or a bulge on the tire. I hit a curb in my '91 base Firebird and only had a ding in the rim, didn't thump though. Good luck.
Thnx antares57 I was hoping it was the tire only or wheel...nope. My fault for not keeping up maintenance on the suspension! But I really don't want to pay all that money to just do an alignment. If I am reading right, driving out of alignment will not do damage other than to wear on tires?
Old 03-02-2016 | 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by scarr001
Hi
I hit a curb and it thumps now (sounds/feels like from the rear or front passenger side). Two shops couldn't even get it on the rack. Sears (i know) came back and refuse to do the alignment bcse they say they need to fix a ball joint, bearings and a tie rod...only $800-$1200!
Does that all sound right to you guys? I just want the thumping to stop.
Any help would be appreciated!
Well feel good knowing they are honest people. Your car can't be aligned with defective parts. "thumping" that changes with the speed of your car generally can only be in the tire or wheel. The previous poster told you how to narrow the problem down. Or simply put your spare tire and wheel on and test drive it.

All that money for an alignment??? .... Think of it as a life saving investment or just park your car till you do "feel" like spending that money or do the repairs yourself and then have it aligned

Last edited by Blizzard Bill; 03-02-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2016 | 08:56 PM

Car: 91 Firebird/88 Firebird/91 Formula
Engine: V6 3.1/V8 5.0/V8 5.0
Transmission: 4L60/700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23/2.73/2.73

If you drive your Camaro like I drive my Firebirds it's best to narrow down the problem. I broke a lug on my Formula and I had to totally change my driving habits for peace of mind until I could replace it. That being said, yes, you will wear your tires. But, there's always that chance that suspension problem could get worse and you watch your tire head down the road in front of you. Be safe.
Old 03-02-2016 | 08:59 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

You can't align bent/broken stuff.

Identify what's fornicated; replace it; THEN get it aligned.

"Sears" is no better or worse than any other such place. Won't ANY of em touch a car that's busticated without REPAIRING it first. THIMK.... yer car goes non-linear somehow and hits a school bus or something, and they worked on it last but it broke ANYWAY, WHO'S RESPONSIBLE? I'll give you a hint: I wouldn't touch your car if you wouldn't let me make it safe EITHER.
Old 03-03-2016 | 02:35 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS Conversion
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Stock for now...

Replacing the parts they say are broken are pretty cheap to do. And pretty simple if you have some patience. I would fix them, then take it to get the alignment done. You could easily save 700-800 bucks, if not more.
Old 03-06-2016 | 07:20 PM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5

I suggest that if you are going to own a car of this vintage, you really need to be prepared , willing, and able to do routine maintenance yourself. Ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings fall under routine maintenance, as they really don't require any advanced mechanical knowledge to replace.
Otherwise, you are going to be spending 500.00 to 1,000 or more everytime something needs to be addressed with the car.
If you buy the best replacement parts available, a balljoint, tie rod, and the inner and outer bearing will set you back under 150.00.
Search youtube for some videos on the procedure to replace these items, and have at it.
Then get the car aligned and marvel at how much better it drives.