Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Vibration after jumping median :/

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration after jumping median :/

Car is an 88 camaro with 700r4 and 350 tbi. I was driving the other home the other night and jumped a median cause some douche cut me off. Now when I reverse or slow down (I.e. Stop signs red lights ) the car shakes pretty bad. I put the car up on jacks to see if any thing was bent or leaking but the only thing I saw was a pretty good scrape on the cross member and sway bar I was wondering if this could be a broken trans or motor mount. And how I would check these. I did my wheel bearings a few months ago because I was getting similar symptoms so I doubt it's that but who knows...
Old 10-24-2013, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '83 TA DT500 HT
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: G80, 373
Re: Vibration after jumping median :/

Did something get screwed up with your brakes possibly?

Not exactly sure how to check for a broken motor mount other than a visual inspection...

The transmission mount you can check, again, visually or put a long bar in between the cross member and pry up just a bit to see if the mount gives (if it was cracked/torn). The other way would be to remove cross member and check it, just support the engine and transmission with a jack....
While you are under there near the transmission mount, take a look at the torque arm bushing (the square bushing bolted to the side of the tail housing) make sure it seated properly in the clam shell and not pushed out.

Take your front wheels off and check tie-rods, sway bar end links, brakes, steering linkage (Idler/Pitman arm), see if you can find anything obvious (broken/bent). Check the top of your strut tower make sure it didn't get thrown out of alignment somehow (the three nuts on top that are used for adjustment).

In the rear you could check rear sway bar end links, lower control arms, panhard bar

Last edited by svrider76; 10-24-2013 at 07:10 AM.