Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

need help lowering..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
need help lowering..

whats a somewhat cheap way to lower my 87 iroc 2-3 inches? i want it to be a pebble pusher (; thanks, justin
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM

Car: 1987 Chevy Camaro Z28
Engine: 305, 4bbl, A/C, T-Tops
Transmission: 700R4 4speed Automatic
Re: need help lowering..

Originally Posted by 87fbodyy
whats a somewhat cheap way to lower my 87 iroc 2-3 inches? i want it to be a pebble pusher (; thanks, justin
Cheap? cut the springs but definitely not recommended and not safe
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tibey
why isnt it safe?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LSD

It is safe if it's done properly- don't heat the spring up and index them correctly. If you go too low the springs may not seat fully at full suspension droop and you may want limiting straps. Running that low will put the camber in the wrong spot of the camber curve, cause bump steer and cause more body roll assuming that the car doesn't get higher rate springs, bigger bars, or sit on the bump stops. Drop spindles are the "right" way, leaving suspension geometry correct. Weight jacks allow for adjustment to get the car to a point where it offers a compromise between decent suspension geometry and a low center of gravity and being slammed.

But, if you insist on doing it just for looks on an extreme budget, I'd cut some stiff MOOG springs (you generally want a 5:1 spring rate ratio front to rear) with between 700# to 1000# up front depending on whether you want ride quality or handling, and cut the bump stops or get strut mounted progressive stops. If you still have money, get taller strut mounts to help your struts live longer and an adjustable panhard bar so that your axle isn't off center.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Tibey
Cutting springs is perfectly safe when done correctly. Or have cars with cut springs from the 1940s (or earlier) through the day they started selling Lowering Springs always crash because of the cut springs? No, they didn't crash when they were cut CORRECTLY. Or are you saying that people like Herb Adams & Chip Foose are doing hack jobs & building unsafe cars?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: ZZ3

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
Cutting springs is perfectly safe when done correctly. Or have cars with cut springs from the 1940s (or earlier) through the day they started selling Lowering Springs always crash because of the cut springs? No, they didn't crash when they were cut CORRECTLY. Or are you saying that people like Herb Adams & Chip Foose are doing hack jobs & building unsafe cars?

Herb Adams and Chip Foose are car building professionals.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM

Car: '83 z/28
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Stock?

Lowering springs. But you NEED an adjustable panhard bar. I set my panhard bar, then lowered it, drove it when the axle was pushed to the side, ya it felt like crap, when I floored it, the car wanted to turn right.

If you can't afford springs, then atleast get a adjustable panhard bar. Mine was like 80 bucks shipped from founders. And it's super beefy. Then grab the angle grinder, and lop a couple coils off of your stock springs.

You will soon realize that you need some better springs after you do that though.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ZZ3 Z28
Herb Adams and Chip Foose are car building professionals.
And they cut springs NO DIFFERENTLY than the average Joe can. A 3.5" grinder keeping heat to a minimum.

Herb describes it in his book & Chip has done it on cable TV yet we are 'hacks' when we do the same thing. Cutting springs with a torch IS a hack job. Doing it correctly with a thin cutting wheel on a grinder is not.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98

And they cut springs NO DIFFERENTLY than the average Joe can. A 3.5" grinder keeping heat to a minimum.

Herb describes it in his book & Chip has done it on cable TV yet we are 'hacks' when we do the same thing. Cutting springs with a torch IS a hack job. Doing it correctly with a thin cutting wheel on a grinder is not.
But you forget. Those two were sent down from high above to bless this world with correctly cut springs. Is your name Foose? Didn't think so, you are doing it all wrong.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
But you forget. Those two were sent down from high above to bless this world with correctly cut springs. Is your name Foose? Didn't think so, you are doing it all wrong.

I hope that was said in tongue-in-cheek. If not......

Really? People were doing it CORRECTLY before Foose was even born. He has no "magical power" way of doing it any differently than the people he learned it from nor from the way that YOU *I*, or ANYBODY could do it.

Seriously.....If you "bow" down to him regarding cutting springs & think that YOU cannot do the exact same thing? You are delusional.

I was cutting springs CORRECTLY and putting them under Autocross cars before Chip was "famous" so I didn't learn it from him. But rather from the Herb Adams book.

Last edited by BlackenedBird; 04-30-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98

I hope that was said in tongue-in-cheek. If not......

Really? People were doing it CORRECTLY before Foose was even born. He has no "magical power" way of doing it any differently than the people he learned it from nor from the way that YOU *I*, or ANYBODY could do it.

Seriously.....If you "bow" down to him regarding cutting springs & think that YOU cannot do the exact same thing? You are delusional.

I was cutting springs CORRECTLY and putting them under Autocross cars before Chip was "famous" so I didn't learn it from him. But rather from the Herb Adams book.
Wow. I didn't think I could lay the sarcasm any thicker.

But yes, I agree with you. Lol.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM

hahahaha well ingot some ideas now, thanks my dudes. foose is a farce
Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by SDTransAM
Lowering springs. But you NEED an adjustable panhard bar. I set my panhard bar, then lowered it, drove it when the axle was pushed to the side, ya it felt like crap, when I floored it, the car wanted to turn right.

If you can't afford springs, then atleast get a adjustable panhard bar. Mine was like 80 bucks shipped from founders. And it's super beefy. Then grab the angle grinder, and lop a couple coils off of your stock springs.

You will soon realize that you need some better springs after you do that though.
after you adjusted the panhard bar did it ride better? and what do you think about eibach sportine lowering springs, control arms relocation brackets and a spohn adjustable panhard bar? found it all on rickscamaros.com
thanks, justin
Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 AM

Oh man, when I adjusted the panhard for stock ride height, then lowered it and the axle was about an inch off. When I floored it, the car would jump up and go to the right. I centered it, and it is an incredible difference. Just a good panhard bar instead of the stock one will help handling.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:43 AM

alright cool, thanks alot bud. really apreciate it
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM

No problem, Like I said, I did Intrax springs, and a Founders adjustable panhard bar. And I am insanely pleased with how it handles now. It made a huge difference.

And honestly, I found my intrax springs on Ebay for 60 bucks. And I got my adjustable panhard bar from founders for like 80 or 90 shipped. You don't need to spend big bucks to get good results. Unless you are racing it on a track, running slicks. Then that's a different story.

Only took a couple hours to install them also.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

if you want still springs..get the moogs and cut em to where you want them to sit thats what i did
Old 05-06-2012, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by itsMikey
if you want still springs..get the moogs and cut em to where you want them to sit thats what i did
how are the moogs when there cut? there pretty cheap, i like cheap(;