Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

strip/street front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
strip/street front suspension

I just started putting LS1 brakes on my car, and while I have the spindles off..........

I'm really temped to throw a set of lakewood 90/10's up front (since they're the cheap option, and I may not want to keep my car biased that much toward the dragstrip).

Is there any reason to run CC plates?
I will stay at factory ride height, and I won't need the extra adjustment options since the struts won't let me carve corners anyway.

I'm only asking since now would be the time to put CC plates in while I'm redoing every other peice of the front suspension.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: strip/street front suspension

Hey 88.

Additional caster will help your stability on the top end. What e.t. are you expecting/approximately?

If you ever auto-x or track day the car the bit of additional camber might help.

Plates like ours substitute the rubber biscuit with a spherical bearing which can also help high speed stability.

Not a deal breaker for the strip though unless you're running a big number and want everything super-optimized.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

For now I hope to get into the low 12's, but there's more in the car I'm sure.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

I'd say CC plates not required but not a bad upgrade if you have the car apart...

We have a lot of good stuff for that project if you're in need of any other upgrades.

Good luck.

ramey
Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I'd say CC plates not required but not a bad upgrade if you have the car apart...

We have a lot of good stuff for that project if you're in need of any other upgrades.

Good luck.

ramey
Yep, I'll be picking up a wonderbar and tie rod sleeves.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

thumbs up on the UMI sleeves; not much more than a set of moog stock replacements and much beefier. your alignment guy won't hate you in a couple years either.

the CC plates make sense if your stock rubber ones are shot and need to replace them, but otherwise not a necessity at this point.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Finally got around to pulling the a-arms and found a half coil was broken off one of the springs.

What's the best option for springs keeping my street/strip goals in mind. My car rides nose up since the engine swap due to eliminated AC and aluminum heads. My first thought is to go with the moog replacements and cut them as required.

Here you can see the ride height: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kpJ...e_gdata_player
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta
Finally got around to pulling the a-arms and found a half coil was broken off one of the springs.

What's the best option for springs keeping my street/strip goals in mind. My car rides nose up since the engine swap due to eliminated AC and aluminum heads. My first thought is to go with the moog replacements and cut them as required.

Here you can see the ride height: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kpJ...e_gdata_player
If you're going the low buck approach, Moog's and a trim job would be OK. Once the springs are in you can address the strut separately.

Did you decide which strut to go with yet? Another option is to purchase the strut and have the strut manufacturer tell you which spring works best with their unit.

ramey
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

I'm fairly certain on the 90/10's. I will be rebuilding with the spohn front end kit, kyb strut mounts, and prothane bushings.