Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

SLA/double wishbone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011 | 09:24 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock with 3.23
SLA/double wishbone?

did a quick search and came up with nothing, is there no 3rd gens out there running a SLA/double wishbone up-front?

if not i'm wonderin how hard it would be to fab up something decent maybe using the specs of a 4th gen...
Old 10-27-2011 | 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Re: SLA/double wishbone?

Originally Posted by zero2005
did a quick search and came up with nothing, is there no 3rd gens out there running a SLA/double wishbone up-front?

if not i'm wonderin how hard it would be to fab up something decent maybe using the specs of a 4th gen...
My first question would be what are you trying to accomplish that you can't do with the McPherson strut?
Old 10-28-2011 | 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
My first question would be what are you trying to accomplish that you can't do with the McPherson strut?
actually i was asking more of in a sense of, since it hasnt been done, can it be done? dont get me wrong, i know that the mcpherson design does work well. i've just always been interested in the SLA.
Old 10-28-2011 | 04:39 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Right; we were all "always interested in the SLA" design at one time, since that was all there was back in older cars all the way back as far as when they dropped the solid axle and kingpin setup. Lots of even more stubborn people wanted (and still do) to put a solid axle under the front of their cars. Too bad time and technology have moved on.

Get up under the car and look at how it is built.

Note that there is a K-member with a lower control arm. It is about 4" tall or thereabouts at that point.

Note that there is a spring/strut tower above that which is part of the car unibody, bolted to the top of it, covering the whole top. Note further that the fender is bolted to that.

Now think about what you would have to do to put an upper control arm in there. Think about where the spring and shock would go. Think how the K-member would have to be altered. Think what would have to happen to the spring/strut tower. Eh?

Unless you are willing and able to cut the whole front end off of the car and fab up something else, ain't happenin.

Best to work with what you've got in this case unless you're building a caged race car.
Old 10-29-2011 | 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Just hack it off put some 2x3 rails and hang some mustang II parts off of it.

I am kidding of course.
Old 10-30-2011 | 07:06 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by zero2005

Yes, it's being done with a C6 front suspension.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...-z06-long.html

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Right; we were all "always interested in the SLA" design at one time, since that was all there was back in older cars all the way back as far as when they dropped the solid axle and kingpin setup. Lots of even more stubborn people wanted (and still do) to put a solid axle under the front of their cars. Too bad time and technology have moved on.

Get up under the car and look at how it is built.

Note that there is a K-member with a lower control arm. It is about 4" tall or thereabouts at that point.

Note that there is a spring/strut tower above that which is part of the car unibody, bolted to the top of it, covering the whole top. Note further that the fender is bolted to that.

Now think about what you would have to do to put an upper control arm in there. Think about where the spring and shock would go. Think how the K-member would have to be altered. Think what would have to happen to the spring/strut tower. Eh?

Unless you are willing and able to cut the whole front end off of the car and fab up something else, ain't happenin.

Best to work with what you've got in this case unless you're building a caged race car.
If Agent 47 and Griggs can provide a Ford Mustang SLA solution for a similar "modified" MacPherson Strut suspension to the third gen, why is it such a high hurdle to jump for a GM car?
Old 10-30-2011 | 10:33 PM

Thanks for the link. i realize some people see it as a hassle, or w/e their reason they just like to buy parts and throw it at their car (bolt on, w/e), but me, i bought this camaro STRICTLY to mod it out as i see fit.

yep thats right, its my "project" car, meaning its getting the junkyard LSx motor, junkyard turbo, and even if i have to rip a-arms off a freakin honduh its gettin a double wishbone/SLA. ok i wont go that far, i'll prolly just "copy" the c6 or gen4 camaro dimensions and then make my own custom arms...

i realize sofa, your a senior member on this forum. and i get that you have your own opinions. a lil cuttin and welding aint gunna phase me any. gives me a reason to use my tig.

sounds to me like you think the SLA is complete garbage, or old technology or something. i dunno where your coming from, as most of the newer cars i've seen have been going with a SLA or double wishbone setup. the ONLY benefit i can see to a mcpherson is packaging/simplicity as far as manufacturers are concerned, and cost.

oh, and lees02ws6, that wouldnt happen to be your last name would it?
Old 10-31-2011 | 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Too me the big question is "is it worth it?"
what are your goals with the car?
At what point is the factory design a hold back?
It seems like a lot of time and work to change to a different design for what may not be great improvements.
I have seen a lot of our cars be very competitive in many forms of racing, from autocross, road course, drag racing.
If you are trying to buikd a competitive race car. Which for this amount of fabrication It better be, definatly way to much involved for a street car.
Anyway, if you are building a competitive race car and need every possible advantage to make this worthwhile, realize too that these mods will not be legal in many race clasmses, or at the very least, bump you into an even more competitive class.
So again. What is your cars purpose, what are you trying to acomplish?
Old 10-31-2011 | 05:51 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I can't say about Moustanks, but in one of these cars, it's pretty much, cut the whole front off and start over.

LOOK at where the parts have to go, it shouldn't be too hard for such an obviously intelligent person as you (unlike me) to figure out why it's not some kind of a bolt-in or anything even remotely close.