Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

How bad is this (K member damage)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
How bad is this (K member damage)

I finally got around to investigating why one of my front wheels sticks out slightly more than the other. The only thing I found is that the aft K member mounts appear to be damaged.
Here are some picts,
here is the right side
Name:  mailgooglecom-1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  50.5 KB
Here is some damage to the right side.. it appears the welds are cracking
Name:  rhkmember.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  68.4 KB

Here is the left side
Name:  lhkmember.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  54.0 KB

Are these holes supposed to be slotted? Secondly, it appears the washers are the wrong size for these bolts. Does anyone have pictures of what this is supposed look like?
I am concerned that the chassis itself is tweaked. Has anyone ever seen any damage similar to this and been able to just replace the K member to fix the problem?
The rest of the k member bolts do not appear to have moved at all. The chassis does not show any signs of buckling or cracking in these areas either.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: How bad is this (K member damage)

Bolts are metric. Washers should also be. It's possible someone swapped k-members at one time and never used the proper washers.

Cracks can be easily welded. If the bolt holes are elongated, they can be welded up and redrilled.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

the rear a-arm mounts are often broken simply by hitting a curb, they are kinda funky and look like an afterthought on the k-member. And as you can see, the factory welds are kinda crappy

If you think the parts are bent, maybe get a new one, weld it better than the factory job, or you can re-weld the original.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
the rear a-arm mounts are often broken simply by hitting a curb, they are kinda funky and look like an afterthought on the k-member. And as you can see, the factory welds are kinda crappy

If you think the parts are bent, maybe get a new one, weld it better than the factory job, or you can re-weld the original.
ah yes, they do look like an afterthought and weak. Its funny you mention that, in the book "camaro the third generation" there are some photos of braces GM engineers experimented with on the thirdgen chassis during development. One of which appears to be a brace that bolts to those rear mounts!
I don't think I'll want to weld on the original because it's obviously been tweaked, and without knowing the dimensions that it should be, I wont be able to get it right.

Guess Ill have to find another one. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

The fender washers are stock. Its GP to put a fender washer on a slotted hole anyways

The large gaps and terrible welds are also characteristic of stock K-members that Ive seen

I dont see anything obviously damaged or failing from your pictures. If it is warped, finding a replacement in the JY should solve it

Also, the washer movement marks are normal for the floppy unibody as it flexes. If this is the car you regularly autocross Im surprised they arent more drastic because you push it to the limits more than most people