Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Best way to jack/ keep up??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Best way to jack/ keep up??

So I am getting ready to do some under car work. I was wondering best way to get all for whells up and then keep them there. Do I jack up front then back, or back then front. And what keeps car from rolling of stands dureing the time I am jacking up the second half. Also do I go with 4 jack stand, four car ramps or a combo of two and two. I have two semi little boys who are curious and I don't want car coming off whatever it is up on. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 z28
Engine: 355 with hsr
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: Best way to jack/ keep up??

I do front first with the parking brake on. If you do the back first the nose drops so low you can't get a jack under the front. I got a 3 ton low profile jack and I can get right in the center of the k member under the oil pan and put the stands under the control arms. Go to the rear and get under the middle of the rear end and put the stands under the axles or control arm brackets. My hack is a high lift low profile that can handle the 2 sides of the car safely. Of course be level, and chuck the wheels when possible.

With a small jack go from the front of the a arm and put a stand at the rear of the a arm. The rear you can usually jack on the control arm bracket or shock bracket on the axle.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Also, if you need to get the car higher that the jack runs, jack to highest point, get stands under it all around - then go back and put a 4x4 wood under the jack, and jack up again all around, and get stands re-adjusted.

Ramps one end and stands other end are fine - assuming the ramps get you high enough - I barely fit under my car on ramps (I need a diet, huh?) I'd recommend driving front onto ramps, then jacking the rear.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 z28
Engine: 355 with hsr
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Another trick lowered guys use. If you buy ramps, even at stock height they don't usually fit under the front ground effects of a camaro. So drive your car on top of some wood like a train track leading to the ramp.

Problem in the above post, if you put the front on ramps, there's no parking brake or anything on the front to stop the car from rolling off the ramp when you start jacking the rear.

Last edited by matthufham; 02-10-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 / 04 GTO
Engine: GMPP 350 TPI / LS1
Transmission: WC T5 / T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.46

Since mine is lowered I have to use 2 brake rotors to drive up ramps. But having sub frames ties makes jacking the car up way way easier.