Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Closest to a stock spring you can get.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77
Closest to a stock spring you can get.

I'm in need for some new springs for my iroc. I am wanting to know what springs I can get that would be closest to stock. Original gm replacements are probably discontinued and not available. I see that moog makes a stock spring for our cars but there's alot of different ones available depending on if you car is an iroc, rs, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, auto or manual and equipped with ac or not. What about other manufactures. I dont want to put lowering springs on my car. My car is an 89 iroc with a 350 and ac. Like your opinions on which ones to get since I want to keep my car stock.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: CAMARO,GMC SUBURBAN DUALLY,RACEBOA
Engine: 305 TBI( soon 383),350Vortec
Transmission: 700 turbo
Re: Closest to a stock spring you can get.

Originally Posted by jermdm
I'm in need for some new springs for my iroc. I am wanting to know what springs I can get that would be closest to stock. Original gm replacements are probably discontinued and not available. I see that moog makes a stock spring for our cars but there's alot of different ones available depending on if you car is an iroc, rs, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, auto or manual and equipped with ac or not. What about other manufactures. I dont want to put lowering springs on my car. My car is an 89 iroc with a 350 and ac. Like your opinions on which ones to get since I want to keep my car stock.

I have 4 ...a complete set sitting here in very good near perfect condition.

I sell them to ya, make me an offer !!!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

I have MOOG replacements on mine. They are MUCH stiffer than stock, I don't remember the part #'s they've long since fallen off the springs and they were on the car when I bought it. Its too stiff for normal daily use.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL 1
I have 4 ...a complete set sitting here in very good near perfect condition.

I sell them to ya, make me an offer !!!!!!
Thanks for the offer. What is the application for the springs or what thirdgen did they come off of? Is there a way you can post a pic of them or send a pic to me? I wont have any extra money to spend till next weekend but I would be willing to pay 75.00 for them and how would you like the payment, paypal, money order, etc. I'll keep in touch if the offer is good.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
I have MOOG replacements on mine. They are MUCH stiffer than stock, I don't remember the part #'s they've long since fallen off the springs and they were on the car when I bought it. Its too stiff for normal daily use.
I was thinking the same thing about moog. I have a set of moog quick struts all around on my taurus sho and the thing rides like a tank. Much stiffer than stock. I think that they build them too heavy duty and not focus on ride quality. I know thirdgens arent going to ride like a caddy with whatever spring I put on it but I would like to have it just like it was from the factory.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

I would imagine you could contact a spring manufacturer and have them make springs to a certain spec.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the offer. What is the application for the springs or what thirdgen did they come off of? Is there a way you can post a pic of them or send a pic to me? I wont have any extra money to spend till next weekend but I would be willing to pay 75.00 for them and how would you like the payment, paypal, money order, etc. I'll keep in touch if the offer is good.
They came of a 1988 with the same appl. then yours !!!!!

i would take 100 + shipping !!!!!

let me know.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL 1
They came of a 1988 with the same appl. then yours !!!!!

i would take 100 + shipping !!!!!

let me know.
100 is a good price. I'll have to see what my funds are next weekend when I get paid. I'll let you know. Anyway. I was able to get a spring code off one of my front springs. It is BZW. Really hard to get since the tag was brittle and covered with grime. Dont know if I will be able to get one off the rear. They are there but mostly gone. Anybody know what rear spring would of been matched with the BZW front spring? Who has drop springs like eibach or hotchkis on they're thirdgen? Do they ride good? Can you tell that the car is lower. Might go with one of those instead.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Camaro Z28/ 87 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L TPI LB9 / 5.0 TPI LB9 w/cam
Transmission: Built 700R4 with Transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt Posi/ 2.73 10 bolt Posi

I bought stock replacement IROC springs from Oreillys for like $40 a pair several years back. I saw a big improvement over the worn out Z28 springs I had and they are really stiff. I made sure to get the highest spring rate they had for the IROC because I hated nose dive when braking.

You would need to find out the stock spring rate and get something comparable.

Some IROC spring info:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ring-rate.html
Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 AM

100 is a good price. I'll have to see what my funds are next weekend when I get paid. I'll let you know. Anyway. I was able to get a spring code off one of my front springs. It is BZW. Really hard to get since the tag was brittle and covered with grime. Dont know if I will be able to get one off the rear. They are there but mostly gone. Anybody know what rear spring would of been matched with the BZW front spring? Who has drop springs like eibach or hotchkis on they're thirdgen? Do they ride good? Can you tell that the car is lower. Might go with one of those instead.
The reason why i have those, is because i lowered the car...and yes..u 100% see the differents + its a lot harder riding..but i like the way it handles now in corners and stuff...

Let me know if u want these..i guess if not i will just have them here for when ever..lol
Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

IROC replacement springs: Moog 5662 fronts will slightly lower your car (at least they did on mine); Moog 5665 rears will raise the butt to nose-bleed height. I was forced to not only cut the springs but also use radiator hose instead of the OE insulator to lower it to an acceptable height.

JamesC