Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

help... welding in global west sfc's

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help... welding in global west sfc's

Car is up on jacks beneath the sway bar bushings front and rear... done all the fitting and grinding of metal... bars are in place awaiting the mig welding. I have lifted the front carpet sections, the side sections after removing the plastic foot guards both sides, but can't get to lift the carpet at rear too well... looks like they attach at the rear seat belt holder/spool mechanism. I'm also tacking them in along the lower rocker panel every 8-10 inches or so.

Questions:

1. Anything else you guys can think of?

2. Anyone done this... what problems did you run into.

3. How hot is it going to get along the floor... what should I do to prevent damage up there above welds other than what I've done...

4. Is lifting the carpet at rear selt belt retract mechanism going to work... I can't really get to it down there... you know.

Welding in 3 hours... just nervous with my perfect IROC
Old 11-02-2001, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

I wanted Spohn sfc's, but got these as a bargain from a friend... Spohn (Steve) was great about canelling my order.

Anyway, the Global West sfc's fit really well... but they're instructions suck, as if written in Korea, and they're website is just not strong or user friendly... the weld in went perfect, but I had done a lot of prep, and man, what a DIFFERENCE. You have to get subframe connectors if you are all serious about keeping you car.

------------------
Jethro
1987 IROC Z 14.16 @ 98 mph
Old 11-03-2001, 07:36 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you level the car? if not take it to a level spot and use an angle finder to check several places on the car, front to rear and side to side. then jack it back up and put it on jack stands and replicate the reading you got with the angle finder when it was on a level surface. i used 1/4" and 1/2" plywood under my jack stands for shims.

------------------
ICON Motorsports
1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond 538 F&AM