Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

HELP! hand brake stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! hand brake stuck!

Hey, I just recently bought a 1986 Trans Am
When I bought it, they guy told me the hand brake was 'seized'. Its otherwise a real nice car and I got it cheap. Now I need this to work so I can get the car safetied. Anyone ever have this problem, or might know whats up with it? He said its cause he's hardly ever used it. Oh, in case you're wondering, the handbrake is seized OFF. I asked the same thing aswell before showing up
thanks alot.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:44 PM

Actually it's fairly easy to fix... Your e-brake is just steel cable (a lot like on a bicycle).

Lift and support the rear of the car by the frame so the rear end is hanging down. Pop off your tires and drums.

Above the driveshaft you'll see where the one cable from the handle gets split to go to the rear brakes. You'll have to loosen the nut to allow enough slack to get the rear cables unhooked.

The other end of the cable is spring loaded inside your drums, and is easy to unhook once the cables have slack. There are a couple of clips along the way that are a PITA to remove if they're rusted up.

With slack in the cable, pull the e-brake handle. If it moves fairly easily, you can probably get away with lubing and reusing the front cable. If it's stiff (or the threads on the end are buggered) pull your center console and take out the pin and clips that hold it in.

Installation is reverse of removal

To adjust the e-brake once you've got everything back together, I just pull the handle up 2 clicks and tighten the cable until I can't turn the tires by hand. Test it a few times to make sure that it applys fully and releases properly without binding.

I think it was around $50 CDN for all 3 cables.

Someone jump in if I forgot anything

Arawn1

[This message has been edited by Arawn1 (edited September 22, 2001).]
Old 09-22-2001, 03:54 PM

Thanks alot bro, I'll take a look at that. Hope its my problem. Thanks again.