Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

front subframe swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro
Engine: 355 chevy
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 disc brakes
front subframe swap

Hey my friend told me that you can get replacement subfram k members and control arms? Has anyone done this swap and how did it work in the end? My subframe is startin to get weak around the body mounts and want to go somethin performance minded any suggestions
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 565ci 900 hp
Transmission: T56 Magnum by RPM Transmissions
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/4:56 Detroit Locker
Re: front subframe swap

Originally Posted by rs89todd
Hey my friend told me that you can get replacement subfram k members and control arms? Has anyone done this swap and how did it work in the end? My subframe is startin to get weak around the body mounts and want to go somethin performance minded any suggestions

Just do a search, there must be 50 different post on replacing your k-member
Old 09-20-2010, 11:42 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Subframe swap? No. The third gen subframe is part of the whole body. To try and replace it requires major work that only a good chassis or alignment shop could do. The car isn't worth repairing if the front subframe needs to be replaced. It's not like first and second gens that simply bolt the front subframe to the body. Our unibody cars are completely different.

Now if you want to change the k-member and a-arms then that's different. That can be done by anyone with enough tools and resources to do the job.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
Subframe swap? No. The third gen subframe is part of the whole body. To try and replace it requires major work that only a good chassis or alignment shop could do. The car isn't worth repairing if the front subframe needs to be replaced. It's not like first and second gens that simply bolt the front subframe to the body. Our unibody cars are completely different.

Now if you want to change the k-member and a-arms then that's different. That can be done by anyone with enough tools and resources to do the job.
then would it be possible to put a third gen body on a second gen subframe? I know some guys have put pickup truck bodies on the old camaro frames before. I've also seen some pretty ambitious projects where a newer car with a unibody was bolted to a S-10 pickup frame...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgNgp7VNwVU
^ 90's Pontiac Sunbird on S-10 frame with a 350... not a thirdgen but proves a solid frame can be put under a unibody car if you're determined enough to try it.

Perhaps hillbilly ingenuity like this is frowned upon here but it could be a way to add a more solid frame to a car (assuming the wheelbase is the same and other things line up without much hassle). Theoretically, you would end up with a second gen (in handling and suspension) that looks and runs like a third gen... theoretically? idk.

but yeah, I have a 1985 Trans Am that has a badly rusted subframe (I didn't let it rust, I got it like that). I'm not ambitious enough to try anything like this with it. Instead I'm probably just going to find another 3rdgen Firebird or Trans Am with a solid frame to put my drivetrain and other good parts into.

It was just a thought and something I've personally wondered about but never really looked into. Then again, if that worked then I'm sure it would have been done by now. therefore, I assume it has to be impossible or at the very least more trouble than its worth.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

Check this out: www.radrides.com Check out the "F-87 Raptor" on his page. It's possible, but A LOT of work...
Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

my first question would be what makes you think your subframe is getting weak? the factory "subframe" which is only a relatively small part called the "k-member", doesnt naturally just get "weak". if its damaged for whatever reason, fine, but they dont just wear out. FWIW, the factory parts are plenty strong, and with simple upgrades, can be made to perform very well without the need to blow a ton of cash on aftermarket components.

besides, there are other parts that need to be attended to before you need to worry about the performance gains from an aftermarket front k-member and a-arms. Wheels tires shocks and struts are a great place to start, and you will see a lot more difference in performance with those parts upgraded than you will with a k-member and control arms.

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 04-24-2011 at 09:14 AM.