Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

how to flush out brake lines, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323's
how to flush out brake lines, etc.

I'm going to be replacing my front calipers soon and am well aware that my brake fluid is pretty nasty brown and I'd like to be able to flush the entire system (fr&rr) but I need to know how this should be done, so as not to screw it up, as in running the system completely out of fluid, or any other dumb mistakes. Also, I'm assuming that I should change the rubber lines at this time, too? Thanks for any help...

KAM
Old 05-31-2001, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 T/A
Engine: TPI 350 ci
Transmission: 5 speed
I'm looking for a Stainless Steel Brake line kit for my car, if anyone knows of one. (Russell has a 4 line kit or Earls who has a 6 week turnaround)

Put in some 'Speed Bleeders' and you you can just pump out the old fluid. I have the GM service tool for my 4th Gen, and it's done with air pressure.

------------------
A black '90 Pontiac Formula with a 305 ci TPI V8, 5 spd, WS6 suspension, 140 mph speedo, 10 disc CD changer & T-tops. Several mods currently on order, with more to follow.
Old 05-31-2001, 11:02 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this is the easy way to do it. Get a turkey baster and suck all the fluid out and clean the inside of the master cylider with a CLEAN paper towel. Put in new fluid. After everything is hooked up and you bleed them put in more fuid. Do this once a week for 3 weeks and you will have clean fuid not 100% clean but close enough without bleeding the entire system.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
You can do a gravity bleed. Start off like Suaveat69 said, but don't yank all the fluid. Just remove down to the split divider in the m/c reservoir. You'll be working on one reservoir at a time, and don't want to mix the old fluid with the new.

Go to the right rear wheel. Open the bleeder, and let the brake fluid drain (thru a hose attached to the bleeder) out into a pan. Then, run to the front of the car. Pour new brake fluid into the FRONTMOST master cylinder reservoir- yes, the frontmost reservoir is for the rear brakes. Don't let the m/c run dry!!!

When clear fluid runs out of the bleeder screw at the right rear wheel, run back and close the bleeder. Remember to constantly watch the fluid level in the master cylinder. When you close the right rear bleeder screw, move to the left rear, and repeat the procedure.

After you're done with the rear, do the front brakes. Start at the front passenger side. This time, when you crack the bleeder & let it drain, make sure to check the REARMOST master cylinder reservoir- the rearmost is for the front brakes. When you get clear fluid, close that front right bleeder, and repeat the gravity bleed for the front left bleeder. Keep a check on the m/c level, and remember to watch the correct reservoir.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!