Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

200+mph stability and controle

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 rs camaro
Engine: planning bbc
Transmission: planing t56
Axle/Gears: planing moser 12 bolt
Re: 200+mph stability and controle

Already have the lingenfelter book its a good read
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2003 F-150
Engine: 4.6L Modular V8
Transmission: 4R70W
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8"/3.55 LSD

I think your ideas are a bit off the charts. Ferrari, Porsche, Chevrolet, Aston Martin, and a few other smaller companies like Caterham have spent the last 60 YEARS developing grand touring cars that perform in to the level that you have in mind and it has only been recently that they have pulled it off. And they wouldn't have pulled it off without involvement in Formula 1 and/or the Le Mans races.

Just to give you an idea of the class you're looking at in terms of cars of that class:

Porsche: GT.3 Cup/GTR.3 Cup
Ferrari: F430, Enzo, F430 Scuderia, 599 GTB Fiorano
Aston Martin: DB9/DB9.R, DBS
Caterham: Super 7, R500
Chevrolet: C5.R, ZR1

The only Camaro ever built that is even remotely close in class is the new 5th gen Camaro GT.R and its routinely beat in every Le Mans type race by every car on that list. Also each one of those cars is around $250k with the exception of the Chevrolet and the Porsche.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 AM

Im certianly not trying to beat these cars in most of the aspects that meke them special that would be rediculous having worked on porches feraris i am fully aware that their suspensions are far more advanced than our camaros and without hundreds of hours of modification a similar suspension could not be duplicated on a camaro and if done i wouldnt even consider it a camaro i just want to maximise the existing arcitecture of our cars and have fun with it i dont expect to win any significant races or compete on the levels that these cars can and thats not my goal i do want to do it safely though i know its possible to go 200+ in a camaro i just want to do it safely and in controle.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6

This is amusing. I used to have guys like this in my shops when I was in. How old are you man? You are all over the charts with a O-10's budget on an E-3 paycheck.
I made ok money deployed but unless there has been a 5000% increase in pay since 2002-2003 you are just dreaming out loud my friend. You might want to stick to just getting a running car first. I'll bet that base auto hobby shop storage bill is starting to rack up.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 AM

Lol hooah if i had a was o-10 i would just go buy a masarati or something i dont plan on having the car finished for annother 5-10 years its a project i have a economical daily driver thing howd u kno i was e3 btw lol no mater how rediculus the budget gets it will still cost less than a zr1 or something i dont think i am going to far out of the realm of reality for my budget at all expecialy sence i will fabricate/ build most stuf myself
Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 63bravo!!
howd u kno i was e3 btw lol
After 5 years active USMC and another 4 working for the USMC, you learn to spot an E-3 from a mile away.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 AM

Lol ges so
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em

Originally Posted by Pablo
I think its funny that people are taking this thread seriously. Hah.

Big block, 200 mph, autox... hahaha c'mon, do your parents know you are on their computer?

By the way, weight has almost nothing to do with top speed. The Kugel 92 trans am set the record for the fastest stock bodied car in the world at 308 mph. It weighed around 4000 lbs on purpose.
It's his car, don't worry about it. Worry about yourself, and your individual goals. His goal of 200+ MPH is a bit outlandish, but maybe he will infact do it someday. You have no clue who is behind that other computer. Could be a 14 year old who picked up his first 3rd gen for around 800 bucks, could be a 50 year old who's getting back into the whole American muscle scene, and has a need for speed this time around. Keep your pety insults to yourself if you do not wish to contribute.

This is a rough calculation of how many RWHP you'd need to reach a certain speed. I know that the Camaros have a drag coefficient of .34 which is slightly higher than the Firebird, so I used that instead. I also rounded up a bit to 3,800 pounds, just to provide a good buffer zone, to give you a better idea of what it would take.

Get yourself an engine that'll put 450+ HP down to the wheels, and you could ever so slowly coast on up to 200 MPH. It's a better platform, but worthy of noting. 100% stock C5 Corvettes will do 172 MPH.

Before my engine went kaboom, the fastest my IROC was ever up to was around 110, and it was still pulling pretty hard. If 200 MPH is what you want, and you have $10,000+ laying around or a steady job, by all means, go for it. Don't listen to some punk who just wants to put you down, because of a somewhat crazy goal you have in mind.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 AM

Wow thx shasow z thats the kind of attitude i love about this forum and why i keep cuming back i knew id get resistance about my engine choice and such lol always seems to happen. I appreciate your everybody who has positively contributed aswell
Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shadow Z
It's his car, don't worry about it. Worry about yourself, and your individual goals. His goal of 200+ MPH is a bit outlandish, but maybe he will infact do it someday. You have no clue who is behind that other computer. Could be a 14 year old who picked up his first 3rd gen for around 800 bucks, could be a 50 year old who's getting back into the whole American muscle scene, and has a need for speed this time around. Keep your pety insults to yourself if you do not wish to contribute.
Ok Dad

For someone who had no clue who was on the other end I was pretty lucky to guess that he was an E-3 with more ambition than money. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? If you had knowledge of how the military works you'd realize what a pointless exercise this thread is considering the thread starter and his ability to make any of this come to fruition. Should we entertain all threads posted no matter how outlandish? Perhaps you should consider the repercussions of that philosophy.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

why dont you send just your car to NRE? instead of planning out some ridiculous car that's never going to materialize.

and i'm with pablo on this, this thread is full of fail
Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 AM
Supreme Member

You have not a clue of how much money he has. This is a forum for mainly tech questions, not getting involved in people's finances and telling them that their ideas are pointless.

Pretend for a second that he has hardly any bills to take care of, and he takes home $15-$18K a year. Still more ambition than money, right? Wrong!

Stay out of his personal life/finances, and/or the thread if you're not going to contribute in a positive way. It's pointless to waste your oh so valuable time. I believe I've told someone they've had a bad idea maybe two times, yet it was still related to the topic, not their wallet.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:54 AM
Supreme Member

Pretend for a second that he has hardly any bills to take care of, and he takes home $15-$18K a year. Still more ambition than money, right? Wrong!

while we are pretending, which is VERY fitting for this thread btw, lets pretend santa clause is going to bring the op all the parts for this car so he can build it like he wants!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42

You guys that think this is impossible need to think outside the box a little, because I'll say this once, a 3rd gen F-body COULD EASILY do 200 mph with a twin turboed ls3, and a transmission to handle it, both of which could be had for under 20 grand, less than the price of a lot of cars, and that kind of setup would probably net over 700hp, more than enough, so stop saying how impossible it is, because the truth is, doing 200 mph is easy, what we are trying to do is figure out how to do it safely, and reliably, instead of as someone earlier mentioned simply throwing a big engine at it, flooring it and praying for the best. And ffs, just look a the lingenfelter one that did 298 mph, if you know anything about a bugatti veyron, you know that its top speed of 253 mph is exponentially more difficult to reach than 200 mph, and yet a firebird was built that went that much faster than a veyron.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Supreme Member

I see someone else feels like bashing the OP's finances, abilities, and life in general. Back off. He had a few questions, that's all. As if no one has ever made a 200 MPH car on a very strict budget before.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:59 AM
Supreme Member

You have not a clue of how much money he has. This is a forum for mainly tech questions, not getting involved in people's finances and telling them that their ideas are pointless.

Stay out of his personal life/finances, and/or the thread if you're not going to contribute in a positive way. It's pointless to waste your oh so valuable time. I believe I've told someone they've had a bad idea maybe two times, yet it was still related to the topic, not their wallet.
You fail. I've been in his shoes. E-3 is a rank that gets paid the same across the military spectrum. You don't have a normal life like you probably enjoy. You live in a shitty barracks (Unless you are married or are in the chAir force) and are only home in the USA in bite sized segments of time. You make below poverty level income and either have a friends house or the base auto hobby shop to work on your car. One costs money, the other will start to get on your friends (or his wife's) nerves. If you are blowing all of your deployment money (which isn't very much) on a car you are plain dumb.
This is ignoring the fact that this hypothetical car can do just about everything well. 200 mph, big block, and AutoX? Do you know anything about AutoX?

My time isn't that precious, hence why I'm posting here.
I do reside in reality so please forgive me if I like to stay there even when I'm participating in a message forum.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:02 AM
Supreme Member

I've never done a bit of Autocross in my life. I'm commenting on the fact that he wants something capable of 200 MPH. Not something that can take corners at 200 MPH.

Oh, I "fail". Cute. Time to go back to 4chan. Fail. LOL.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Supreme Member

no one said 200mph was hard, thats the easy part. the reliable, autocross- TT bbc, and the rest of the op's crazy part list (summit catalogue shopping?) is just stupid. period.

shadow z, i'm not bashing finances, the reality is this car will never exist in any form thats even close to what the op is planning in his 5-10 yr time frame.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Supreme Member

You do not know that, and beside the point, should not even care.

He could run into some luck, and win a quick 20 grand off of the lottery next week, what would you say then? Still not going to exist? Doesn't matter if it'll exist or not, just tell him what he needs to know, general prices, basically just sum up the challenge. That is all he wanted, not a lecture on his life. Go re-read yours and Pablo's posts, look how arrogant it is.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:20 AM
Supreme Member

now we are hoping the op wins 20 k in a scratch off!!

we are not being arrogant, we are being realistic. general prices on what? a tt-BBC? a custom CF spoiler that changes the car's aero based on speed? are you kidding me? why don't you read a little more before post about something you clearly don't know very much about
Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I don't know much. Heh. Stop kidding yourself. Just because it is YOU who does not know much, does not make it unrealistic. At this point, you're spamming. Just go away.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 - LS Swap Incoming
Transmission: 700R4 - T56 Mag F Incoming
Axle/Gears: 3.42

The whole point is it doesn't matter how the op gets has or recieves the money or parts the point was what would it take to do it. Yes he posted a bunch of parts that cost money but guess what I can do something stupid like get a loan to buy the parts or borrow the money from rich relatives or rob a bank or whatever it dosen't matter to u or any one how he gets the stuff only that if he can what does he need to get a camaro to 200mph.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Supreme Member

I agree that a bbc isn't the ideal choice of engine due to size and weight, but as far as being reliable, and capable in corners, given the proper build, there is no reason the three cannot coexist, to be able to autocross it doesn't have to corner at 200 mph..think you guys are overlooking that a bit, and the fact that a lot of cars are already doing these things in stock forms, mind you a corvette is more expensive than your avg car, but even the lowest model new corvette with a little money under the hood will easily hit 200 mph and be safe doing. There's no reason a 3rd gen can't be built to do that for less than the cost of a new corvette. I mean comeon, that's a 60 grand car, that's a lot of money to play with. And I doubt the OP is going to be an E3 for the rest of his life, just like I'm not going to be working at my crappy job the rest of mine..and hes not looking to build this tomorrow he is being smart, and planning it out, and gathering his info beforehand, the proper way to go about such an ambitious goal, and if everyone had the attitude of "this can't be done" half the modern amenities wouldn't exist, including the bugatti veyron, know how many people said that couldn't be done? Yet here it is, it just takes ambition.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Supreme Member

At least someone with a bit of common sense came along. It isn't so common anymore. Thank you, Werewolf S S.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Supreme Member

You do not know that, and beside the point, should not even care.

He could run into some luck, and win a quick 20 grand off of the lottery next week, what would you say then? Still not going to exist? Doesn't matter if it'll exist or not, just tell him what he needs to know, general prices, basically just sum up the challenge. That is all he wanted, not a lecture on his life. Go re-read yours and Pablo's posts, look how arrogant it is.
20 grand won't do it my friend. That's a drop in the bucket. To do all that the O.P. wants you'll need a lot more money than that. I'm not even gonna start adding things up. As someone that has actually built a relatively quick car (in the REAL world), I can tell you that if you want to do one thing well you might be able to do it on a modest budget. Especially when you take very high speeds and horsepower out of the picture. When you throw those two in the price to participate goes up a whole lot. Nevermind the fact that this vehicle has to do multiple things at a super car level.

When bench racing, there are a lot of things that are easy to forget but a wee bit important. Even if you do all of your own work, you aren't going to put together a super car with a Husky wrench set and a claw hammer you bought from home depot. Tools cost money. Saftey costs money.. you plan on doing 200 at an open road event without a full cage, fire suppression, suit, hans, safe fuel system, etc? Good luck. Thats 10 grand or more right there.

Why don't you add it up? You probably want to look at some sources other than summit racing.

Last edited by Pablo; 07-25-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:37 AM
Supreme Member

the op does not simply want to get a camaro to 200mph, try re-reading his posts so you can try to help him. just to help you out i'll remind you he wanted to drive at 150mph+ over Houston overpasses.

i'm going to step out of this thread because we are winning the lotto or robbing a bank to build a fantasy car.. while entertaining, it's absurd.

good luck op, hope to see you on the houston streets in 5-10 years in your 200 mph camaro that you robbed a bank to pay for!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 AM

My personal finances aside this car will be built some of you may have seen my last camaro around west houston or spring branch area bright blue 89 rs 305 q-jet carb and some crome lol werewolf ss and shadow z i appreciate your help and your right i do have verry little bills to pay just insurance and gass for my dd and a pack of cigaretts a day oh i said a couple of posts ago that i was using the over passes as a reference to the types of turns i would like to make at that speed and that anyone who attempted that is crazy i had a verry close friend of mine die this way.. anyways if we could keep this thread on topic that would be great that is keeping the car safe stabel and in controle at 200mph. Oh i didnt want the wing to change pitch at speed i want to be able to controle what pitch it is at to find where optimal downforce is accomplished unless someone has a wind tunnel i can use it doesnt seem that hard though just two actuators on either side... iv come to realize aswell that ttbbc is over kill to accomplish 200 a large bb could easily get me there.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Supreme Member

Imo an lsx is a better choice due to lower weight and center of gravity, esp since all BBCs are cast iron aren't they? I just don't think a bbc is a good choice for something that needs to handle well, and be stable at high speed, too much weight slopping around up front, sitting too and too far forward probably, my 2 cents on engine choice, and the route I myself intend to go when I go for the same goal.

Also I've been thinking the rear decklid/trunklid would make a pretty good wing, assuming you have a spoiler on it, thinking you could detach the trunk lid from the hatch so they would be seperate, would require some fabricating I'm sure, but throw some actuators on the trunk lid, reinforce it if necessary or get one made in stronger material, also thinking it could be used as an airbrake, I'd basically convert it to function much like the spoiler on the veyron, albeit via manual or preset controls rather than computer controlled. Also whoever said small wheels are better at high speed, pretty sure you were completely wrong...they would have to spin more to go the same distance, creating higher RPMS, heat and friction. Plus every fast *** new car has huge rims...zr1 has like 20s or some such, astons have 19s I think, porches probably 18s or 19s, and all the hyper cars have large rims as well, pretty sure they're more stable, imo for 200 mph I would consider at very least 17s, probably 18s or 19s ideally, and we'll need decently wide tires too for stability, another thing you'll notice on the super cars...its not just for traction its for stability at speed as well.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:48 AM

I could be wrong but I think the lsx block is iron as well iv decided to go bb because (correct me if I am wrong) its my understanding that you can make the same hp with a smaller motor just at a higher rpm and the biggest I would go with a lsx would be 454 whereas for an extra 100-200 lbs I could safely go 572 with a big block and keep the powerband lower but that is either here nore there two different roads leading to the same goal I agree as well that bigger tires are a benifit... in this cenario it is not actualy rim seze that would be looked at but the diameter of the tire wen mounted, I wouldn't consider less than a 17 rim because I want to put the biggest breakes possible on it, our cars come stock with a 26" od tire and its a pretty good base for this I might consider moving up but only an inch or two. Also something to note when going below a 16" rim it becomes extremelyh hard to find performance tires expesialy ones that are rated even near 200. For the wing I was thinking of using the existing deck lid and mounting the actuators to it it would still be attached to the glass and would probably need reinforcement of course. Glad to see someone else with the same goals btw
Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 AM

Thanks to everyone for excusing my spelling btw its not easy typing this much on my fone lol
Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

If members should have suggestions that would enlighten or assist 63, please PM him.

JamesC