Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Tokica Illumina

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokica Illumina

Guys,

I bought my 88 350 Camaro about a year ago, when I saw it for sale I just wanted it and did not check it over all that carefully. Cars like this look unlike anything else on the roads here in the UK.
I soon realised that the handeling wasn't very good but thought that this was normal with US cars.
Recently I bought a front set of illumina struts to see if they improved things. I considered Konis but they are Italian which usually means poor quality. The Illuminas are expensive but I wanted adjustables so I could set it up how I wanted. Anyway I removed the Gabrielle units and one of them was totally shot so I knew my money wasnt wasted. The struts are on now and the handleing is much better, nothing like my old Audi Quattro but almost up to European standards.
I now plan to order a rear set of shocks. My question is. Which improves handling the most, good front struts or good rear shocks? Will my car seem much improved again when I renew the rear shocks? It still has the original Delco/Bilsteins fitted. The back of the car feels much softer to the front.
My favourite setting for the struts is 3 they adjust from 1 to 5, 5 being hardest. I think I read somewhere that the non adjustable Tokica struts are set at about 3 so I should maybe go for the non adjustable rear shocks.
Other faults with the car are blue smoke on start up which I think is valve seal wear. The exhaust needs renewing I think I'll just fit a stock unit I dont want to spend much more than $200.
Thanks for any replies

Simon Holtby
Old 04-28-2001, 07:31 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 425 Likes on 326 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Konis shocks are one of the best shocks money can buy, especially for our cars. Get a stut tower brace and some sway bars and some subframe connecters and than you should be handling as good as anything out there.
Old 04-30-2001, 12:40 PM

Man, Italian usually means bad quality to you guys?

When I hear Italian, I think of Ferarri, Lamborgini, Koni, Momo, you know, the really exotic high performance stuff.

Old 04-30-2001, 03:49 PM

Sorry if it upsets anyone but most people who I know think Italian products are poor quality. Cars like Fiat and Lancia rust much sooner than other makes and are less reliable. Their depreciation is high because of this. Ferraris, Lambos etc are stylish but it is often said in car magasines that their quality/durability is poor.
If you want quality and reliability I think German products are the best by a long way BMW, Merc etc.
I read on a messsage board somewhere about a guy who used Konis on a car he used for motorsport and they failed frequently. They were replaced under warranty several times but because they were used under extreme conditions the shop soon had enough. After switching to Tokica he had no problems.

Simon,
Old 04-30-2001, 03:56 PM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I hear Italian, I think high style/low quality. My $120 sunglasses could be one example. Lasted 2 weeks.

And their cars are cool but I don't think they're made that well, the only reason they "seem" to stay around so long is that they're expensive and exotic, so people don't put many miles on them to preserve their value.

I do have Koni adjustable struts on my car and have been pleased with them overall, but I would have liked more than 3 settings for them, but I'll get some HALs or Tokikos someday and move the Konis to my Z.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
Back to your question,The new rear shocks will further improve your cars handling. I have the Illuminas on all four corners of my Formula Firebird and They work great. I also bought them for the adjustability and make use of it often. If you really want to meet/exceed european handling look to Eibach,Hotchkis,Energy Suspension,Steve Spohn,and the like for chassis components to stiffen up the unibody and increase the handling ability of your F body.

------------------
Mongoose-NCTGA-1990 Pontiac Formula/305 TBI-700R4 with Edelbrock Performer TBI intake,TES headers,and STB,K&N,MSD-6AL,Holley laser shot coil,Accel Extreme 9000 wires,Jet Stage 2 chip,TCI shift kit with corvette servo,Richmond 3.73 gear with Auburn 3 series posi,high flow cat,SLP 3" cat back,Eibach sportline springs,Energy Suspension poly throughout,Lakewood LCA and adjustable panhard bar package,SSM subframe connectors,IROC wonder bar,Tokico 5 way adjustable struts and shocks,Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge,Alpine,JL Audio,MB Quart,92 GTA taillights,92 GTA aero wing and hatch,Steve Spohn LCA relocater kit and torque arm,MacEwen White face gauges,84 T/A cold air induction air cleaner,Grant Formula GT wheel.