Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

New Steering Gear and Rag Joint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700
Axle/Gears: 3.27
New Steering Gear and Rag Joint Problem

Changed out the idler, center link and tie rods last week and now installing new steering box and rag joint. I bolted the box in (nice how GM discontinued the bolts to bolt it in and NOBODY can find me the right size to replace my rusty ones) and connected the rag joint to the column and then came the problem. I thought the column kind of gave a little bit so I could slide the rag joint onto the box gear but as hard as I pulled I could only get it to within about a 1/4 " away from slipping on. Should I connect the rag joint to the box first then pull up to the column or is there some trick here I am not seeing?
The box and rag joint are the exact same size as the rusted old 21 year old parts I took out.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: New Steering Gear and Rag Joint Problem

I disconnected the rag joint from the column to go ahed and connect the rj to the steering gear. Got the flat line lined up before I tried sliding it on but the dang thing doesn't want to go on. I have pushed as hard as I can but it is just barely on. Any trick to this process? All came out so easily but putting it back is a pita.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: New Steering Gear and Rag Joint Problem

Originally Posted by megtom2
I disconnected the rag joint from the column to go ahed and connect the rj to the steering gear. Got the flat line lined up before I tried sliding it on but the dang thing doesn't want to go on. I have pushed as hard as I can but it is just barely on. Any trick to this process? All came out so easily but putting it back is a pita.
The intermediate shaft should collapse far enough to get one end on with the other end in place. You may need to set the shaft upright on the driveway/garage-floor and lean on it to further collapse it.

For the steering box end. Make sure to remove the retaining bolt completely from the clamp. With the bolt in place, even loose, the clamp won't go over the steering box splines.

If the intermediate shaft is used, you may need to spread it back apart. Or even tap it into place (TAP!) with a small hammer.

To spread the clamp I use the stock bolt threaded in from the threaded side. Then a tough piece of flat metal in the gap. Tightening the bolt against the metal flat pushes the two apart. Note to ONLY do this enough to get the piece over the box splines. Too much and you risk cracking it.

RBob.