Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Installing a Hydraulic Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a Hydraulic Suspension

Does anyone have any experience with installing a Hydraulic Suspension in a Camaro? I have an 88 Camaro 305-TBI and I want to install hydraulics on my car. I know a lot of people are going to tell me its a bad idea. If you think its a bad idea, reply and tell me why. If you have any ideas on where I could mount the batteries and any other ideas, reply and let me know. I am going with a 2 pump and 5 battery kit. I would like to get a reliable setup that I could make an everyday driver. And no......I AM NOT PLANNING ON GETTING THE CAR TO JUMP IN THE AIR! Let me know guys.

- Jax
Old 03-31-2001, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
What will be the purpose of the hydraulics if you are not planning on getting the car to jump in the air. Thats all they are "good" for. You really shouldnt have posted this here, you are gonna get flamed EXTREMELY bad.
The following users liked this post:
T.L. (01-26-2022)
Old 04-04-2001, 07:35 AM

Well, i think it is a bad idea. Why? Well, Camaro's weren't the sturdiest cars built, and putting more stress on the frame willjust twist it up worse than it probably already is. Especially in a convertible. You won't be able to close your doors, open your hood or get it into alignment anymore after you put in hydraulics. Even without jumping it in the air, if you ever do a 3 wheel stand, or get one side higher than the other, you will tear stuff up in that car.

just my $.02 though. i don't have to live with it.

Chris
T.L. (01-26-2022)
Old 04-04-2001, 11:28 AM

Hydraulics suck for daily use, extremely rough ride, will not work below a certain temperature, and on your conv. (Very bad idea ). Since you are not planning to hop the car, I am assuming you just want to low mean look, but want to raise it for drivability. Why not consider the air suspensions out there, much cheaper, does not destroy car, and still serve the same purpose. They have kits even out now that will almost raise the car as fast as hydraulic (a little more money) I think the reg. air lift system would work fine for you.

------------------
When the green flag drops, the bull%#$@ stops.

1979 Z28 w/427 Street/Strip car
1988 Iroc Convertible
T.L. (01-26-2022)
Old 04-04-2001, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your gonna drive this car every day, or even on a regular basis, don't do it. A freind of mine did this on his caprice and realized the hard way it was a bad idea. Rides like crap, corners like crap, and they are very high maintenence, and scrapes the ground all the time. His car's been broke in to two or 3 times sine he got them. And like everyone else said, it'll trash your car.3G's can't take that kinda punishment on the frame. Your much better off doing this on a S10/blazer or a car with a full frame.

And then theres the ever important "WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT TO A CAMARO YOU ***!" Factor. IMO doing this sorta thing to a performance/sports car is ridiculous. You do that in my town and show up trying to hang with fast car guys around here, you'll get the **** beat out of you. And I don't mean in a race, they/we/i would beat somone down
if they tried to hang out with us with a car like that. Nothing personal though.

------------------
88 Base Camaro
305 Auto
All Stock....for now
T.L. (01-26-2022)
Old 04-06-2001, 07:58 PM

yeah i agree.ive installed on a bunch of cars+trucks.The camaro is not a good car to put hydros on. They are uni-body..no frame...they will flex like hell.especially a convertible....after you hit three wheel two or three times,the doors wont open or shut right anymore,because the whole thing will be sprung.After awhile it WILL start dog-tracking,and i guarantee that you will be fixing something that broke more than driving.I know this because i helped my friend put a two pump setup in his 90 rs.after three weeks,he parted what was left of the car(panels ok,unibody was toast).he ended up juicing a 84 monte carlo.even if yo ureinforce the hell out of the unibody,it stil isnt going to hold up that well.If i was you id go find like a regal or monte carlo from like 84-89.they are nice to put switches on.either that or sell me your setup lol.if you have any other questions,feel free to email me.
T.L. (01-26-2022)
Old 04-06-2001, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

"hopefully" your just looking for adjustability, in this case go with an airbag suspension, look to spend around $2,000 and it will work fine and you won't be made fun of "as" much! please don't ruin the car with hydraulics, the cars can't and won't take the abuse if you are looking to do this.......don't show up to any place looking for respectable comments.

hydraulics are a no-no....but it sounds like u have an idea of that already. there's a guy that use to run around by me, with a 25th rs....we'll his car only lasted about one summer, before he gave up from all the funny laughs and name calling and had it up for sale for over a year before taking the hydraulics out and practically giving the car away....wonder what ever happen to that guy; haven't seen him in a long time
Old 01-26-2022, 03:53 PM

Car: 91 canamro rs convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Installing a Hydraulic Suspension

Originally Posted by 88CovertibleTBI
Does anyone have any experience with installing a Hydraulic Suspension in a Camaro? I have an 88 Camaro 305-TBI and I want to install hydraulics on my car. I know a lot of people are going to tell me its a bad idea. If you think its a bad idea, reply and tell me why. If you have any ideas on where I could mount the batteries and any other ideas, reply and let me know. I am going with a 2 pump and 5 battery kit. I would like to get a reliable setup that I could make an everyday driver. And no......I AM NOT PLANNING ON GETTING THE CAR TO JUMP IN THE AIR! Let me know guys.

- Jax

As a lowrider myself, i wouldnt recommend it as a daily they are high maintenance and youll always have to ride with the fact that it will break down every time you take it out. i want to juice my convertible but dont know yet. Im planning on installing a 2 pump set up with maybe 3 batteries. No 3 wheeling or hopping just lay and play. I would put air bags but there is nothing like the feel of how the car dips up n down while riding on juice. I still looking to see if i do it, i want to see where i can reinforce the frame

Last edited by Low91JK; 01-26-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 662 Likes on 499 Posts
Car: '83 Firebird (T/A Clone)
Engine: 350 carbed with L-69 components
Transmission: 700R-4 w/2000 RPM stall converter
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.73 ..

Air-ride is the way to go...
Old 01-27-2022, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 706 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Low91JK
As a lowrider myself, i wouldnt recommend it as a daily they are high maintenance and youll always have to ride with the fact that it will break down every time you take it out. i want to juice my convertible but dont know yet. Im planning on installing a 2 pump set up with maybe 3 batteries. No 3 wheeling or hopping just lay and play. I would put air bags but there is nothing like the feel of how the car dips up n down while riding on juice. I still looking to see if i do it, i want to see where i can reinforce the frame
Hi Low91JK, Welcome to TGO

For future reference, you may want to check the dates of the threads you are replying to, you just answered a question that was posted 21 years ago
Old 07-05-2022, 11:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305HO
Transmission: Auto

it is doable. I did my 86 iroc t-top in high school. front struts were opened up and cylinder was installed in the tube and welded in it. then just installed back in place. front springs did need to be removed since that what holds up the car, rear was standard install. 6 batteries were on rear deck above gas tank area and 2 prohopper pumps were in the bottom trunk area. ride is very bouncy. but being in high school at the time was a great time. back seat was taken out for a ported plexiglass box with 2 15's also. so it was a real coup. and yes i know it was not good to do on that car but it was worth it.