Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Need Help Picking Shocks......QUICK!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Need Help Picking Shocks......QUICK!!!!!

I got some Koni's from my dad for xmas, but they aren't externally adjustable which is what i want. Know I have to find a different brand. Im just doiong the rear shocks as of now. So far my two top runners are the HAL Stocker Stars and the KYB AGX's. The guy at Next Gen says the AGX's are better then the Koni's and I can get them for $74.03 a piece. They are 8 way adjustable, yada yada. The guy at Summit says the HAL's are really nice, 12 way adjustable, and he has never had any experiance with the KYB's so he didnt know what to recommend. Well, my car is daily street driven, you can see in the sig whats done to it. This summer its getting 3.73's, heads, and a cam, so it will be quite a bit quicker. Id hold of to do the shocks in spring, but the stockers are shot. So....what do you guys recommend? Also, what do you set the rear shocks at for draging?? I heard 90/10 but I might be wrong. I dunno. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
1988 IROC-Z 350 TPI
(its an original 350 car)
License Plate: STG KLR 1
Engine Mods:
Edlebrock TES Headers, Hypertech Chip, Flowmaster Muffler, Intake Airfoil, Removed MAF Screens, bored .030 over, Other minor mods
Trans Mods:
2,500 stall converter, Redline clutches,Heavy Duty Steels, Trans-Go reprograming kit , Heavy Duty 2-4 band, Corvette Servo, B&M Mega Shifter w/ Carbon Fiber Handle (looks sweet in a black car!)

Best Time So far: 14.104@99.66 Told you id go faster
"If you can put it on your car, its fair" Quote By Guido
Foundering Member of the Illinois Overkill Crew (IOC)
Old 12-29-2000, 08:32 PM

Car: Camaro Z28 1LE R7U
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: G-Force Dog-Ring T5
HUH? KYB better than Koni???? Pass the joint.

Koni=top quality. If you want externally adjustable Konis just order:
Front - 8741-1030 (sport)
Rear - 30-1265 (sport)
Add the sport suffix to the end of the part# to get the sport (stiff performance) valving.

The front struts will have the **** on the top, the rear you will have to drop the bottom mount to fully extend the shock to adjust it. I have had Koni Sports on my race car for 3 years now and have never had to adjust them, but they are due for a rebuild/revalve at the end of this coming season. This is the best part about Konis. They are rebuildable, revalveable, and the fronts can be converted to double adjustables at any time, new or old. (the rear part# I specified is a sealed unit and is NOT rebuildable, but they last a long time.)

------------------
Karl Hunter
Hunter Motorsports
Vancouver, B.C. CANADA

Old 12-29-2000, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-5... in need of slight rebuild
I have the Tokico 5 way adjustable, they ride great and have a good price. I got them from www.shox.com all 4 have an adjusting screw on top, for the rear just cut a half moon in the carpet so you can get to them real easy. When the rear seat is up you will never be able to see the cuts.

------------------
'86 TA, T-tops, T-5, 3.73, 4 wheel disks 350, compucam 2040, performer intake,SLP Headers, 3" race magnum muffler, 1.6 Comp rockers, Ripper shifter, perf. friction pads, Hypertech ignition, Earls brake hoses, Hotchkis springs, Tokico Illumina 5 adjustable shocks and struts, Lakewood panhard and trailing arms
14.73 @ 95... traction still a problem
Old 12-30-2000, 02:17 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys.

Hunter, what you just described is what I have at my house right now. I want ones that I dont have to remove from the car to adjust. I want something that I can drive to the track with a street setting, get out of the car and turn a **** to set it to a race setting, and when im done, turn it back again to the street setting, ya know? Koni's are the best shocks IMO, but without being easily adjustable with the tires still no the car, they are usless to me at this point. Thats why I was looking at the KYB's or the HAL's. What kinda opinion do you have on the KYB's. Obviosuly you dont think they are as good as the Koni's, but im trying to see if i can justify spending nd extra $40 per shock to go from the Koni's to the HAL's. thanks again.
Old 12-30-2000, 03:34 PM

Car: Camaro Z28 1LE R7U
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: G-Force Dog-Ring T5
So, you want to drag race. O.K.

The Ultimate shock for drag race is the Koni SPA1, but these are not safe or suitable for street use, so forget them.

What you need is a good compromise Street/Strip shock. It is a dificult compromise to make, if you want your car to behave nicely on the street that is. I do not know how well these "convertable" street to 90/10 shocks work, but I do know that 90/10 is not the best setup for drag race, but many people like it just fine. (90/10 is for front only)

Because your car is daily street driven, you should buy a set of shocks that will be most suitable to this. You don't go to the drag strip every day, do you? While shocks do play a factor in how your car comes off the line, there is much more stuff you can do to make it hook. I really would'nt worry too much about how shocks are going to affect your drag race performance. A good set of street shocks will work just fine at the strip. That being said, however, I would not go and buy a set of Performance shocks like Koni Sports, because with the aggressive valving designed for keeping the car stable in corners, the car will not weight-transfer as much on the launch and as a result you will not have as much bite in the rear.

I really wish Monroe still made the Formula GP. These were an excellent street shock, and I found they allowed just the right amount of weight-transfer on the launch. I would recommend these to you, but Monroe discontinued them. They were really cheap too. Great "bang for the buck".

My suggestion given the situation you are in is: put the Konis you have in. if they are the ones I described above (not the sports, just the reds) then they will work fine for street/strip use and you will be very happy with the performance and ride on the street. Leave the rears on full soft, dont adjust them for drag use, they will be fine. The fronts are easy to adjust, so if you want to play with these, go ahead, but put them on full soft for strip use.

Like I said, it is primarily a street car, so make it a happy street car. The Konis are an excellent shock, and neither the HALs or the KYBs are going to be any better for drag use and they are not as high-quality as the Koni's in my experiance.

------------------
Karl Hunter
Hunter Motorsports
Vancouver, B.C. CANADA

Old 12-30-2000, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the help man. I think your the first guy that has actually answered the question all the way ill let ya know what I end up doing.