Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

About to buy a front end kit and need some help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 305 TBI (lo3)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Whatever is stock.
About to buy a front end kit and need some help please.

K so I dont have money to do this twice in two months so Im looking for some advice. One would say to get from Hawks, Sphon, A-1, or the like but its not an option right now so this is why I need help. I have been racking my brain for far to long on this stuff and am about to loose it.

The only thing wrong with my front end is the center link and Idler arm but I want to get all the parts that would require an alignment that way I don't have to worry about it for a few years. I will post some links to the kits I have been looking at. First one is at the top of my budget and has a few extras. Only reason I havent bought this kit and got to work is the company (Mcquay-Norris) has two phone numbers that dont even work so I wonder if that's such a good idea. So I would be buying and just crossing my fingers at this point. & with a 1500 mile trip in my near future I need some feedback from people that may know better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tab%3DWatching

Now to the bare bones (only what I need) choices.

This guy that sells this kit has worked pretty hard to convince people that he sells good parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...mZ350281641173

Like the guy said. U cant tell from looks alone if the parts are going to be good and this is why I am having such a hard time with this. You cant go by feedback alone thanks to stupid as s ebay only letting u leave it in a certain time frame (first thirty days). I have been burned countless times by that stupid rule, & buy a lot of ebay buys altogether aswell. So by all means if someone has a better idea please let me know. This is why I posted this. Ideal situation would be a person that bought a nicer kit that sold the car before the install or that knows of a better way in general. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by STRIKER911; 12-02-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)
Re: About to buy a front end kit and need some help please.

I went with the frontend kit + lower ball joints from Spohn Performance. You may find parts that are cheaper but this is one stop shopping. An added plus is the parts will fit and not like a mix match from various sources which they may not.. another plus is they are zinc coated.

Last edited by DJP87Z28; 12-23-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0
Axle/Gears: beats me

Originally Posted by DJP87Z28
I went with the frontend kit + lower ball joints from Spohn Performance. You may find parts that are cheaper but this is one stop shopping. An added plus is the parts will fit and not like a mix match from various sources which they may not.. another plus is they are zinc coated.
Those look pimp, but do they come with that extra special lifetime warranty?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: SOLD!!!!!

the second one you posted is the one i bought. the parts fit perfect. and it has been on the car for a while with no problem at all. would buy again.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Spohn just had a sale on thier stuff... I picked up their steering kit for $240 I think and some Tubular A Arms too I also have thier sub frame connectors!

Raf
Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

One Word - NAPA! You can't do better than NAPA for this stuff. They'll have 2 different NAPA part numbers for each piece needed, pick the more expensive one on each part - they are at least as good as any other, cheap, and fit. They'll have ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms - it's all beefy, all easily gotten without paying shipping, and all easily returnable if it doesn't fit for some strange reason.

See this listing for ball joints $72:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...&NValue=14435+

The part with the NCP part number - you want those parts. The MRC is not as beefy, the NCP ones that end in OS are oversized.

Here's tie rod ends Inner $113, Outer $87:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...+50012+2012008

Here's Idler Arm $83:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...+50012+2012008

That's $355 total. Slightly more than those "kits" - but you can get what you need when you need it, no shipping involved, no hassle returns/exchanges, and it's local! I put all this in my car, and I'll go up against any other brand with it - they really are nice parts!

Last edited by camaronewbie; 12-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

At second look - the Spohn kit does NOT include ball joints, so the NAPA parts are the same price!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJP87Z28
Getting less parts for more money is just not in the budget right now thats the reason for the post in the first place. Thanks for the input though.

Originally Posted by one92rs
the second one you posted is the one i bought. the parts fit perfect. and it has been on the car for a while with no problem at all. would buy again.
Think that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Everything needed for a good price.

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
At second look - the Spohn kit does NOT include ball joints, so the NAPA parts are the same price!
I am also a fan of Napa parts but not the price im looking for. $175 in savings seems like a worth while investment.

No one knows anything about the parts in the first link?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by STRIKER911
I am also a fan of Napa parts but not the price im looking for. $175 in savings seems like a worth while investment.

No one knows anything about the parts in the first link?

Half that in the ebay kit you won't use anyway - like the control arm bushings - you don't want to bother doing that until you have new struts and springs in hand, since you have to remove struts and springs to replace those bushings anyway. Nothing in that kit is greasable, except the ball joints. Everything in there is stock rubber bushings - you'll have a hard time knowing you replaced anything (as far as driveability and feel goes) with that ebay stuff.

The McQuay-Norris I thought Advance carried - but even they don't stock it anymore - they carry the Moog, the TRW, and some other el cheapo brand that I wouldn't even consider. So if Advance isn't carrying it anymore, maybe they went out of business and this ebayer bought up left over stock or something - and that's why the bad phone numbers - another clue slapping you on the head screaming "Stay Away".

If it were me, and I didn't have the money for Napa goods, I'd get whatever Advance or Autozone had that I needed to replace (ie the centerlink and idler arm), install them (takes maybe an hour for these two), and call it a day - saving my cash for the better stuff in the future.

If you need an alignment, spend the $125 at Firestone for a lifetime alignment - then you can go back as many times as needed as you change out old parts for new over time.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.0 305 Carb'd
Axle/Gears: 3.23

dude just go to oreilly auto or something like that. they offer MOOG suspension parts and they all should match prices (i work for oreilly auto we match prices for ANYBODY. wal mart, autozone, summit, spohn, anybody.) you want something cheap with a lifetime warrenty stay away from the high performance people and go with an autoparts store. if you say you dont wanna spend a lot of money then your in the wrong business when dealing with cars. idk why people think you HAVE to get your parts from summit or jegs or something. not ALL your parts have to come from a place like that.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ca[maro]88
dude just go to oreilly auto or something like that. they offer MOOG suspension parts and they all should match prices (i work for oreilly auto we match prices for ANYBODY. wal mart, autozone, summit, spohn, anybody.) you want something cheap with a lifetime warrenty stay away from the high performance people and go with an autoparts store. if you say you dont wanna spend a lot of money then your in the wrong business when dealing with cars. idk why people think you HAVE to get your parts from summit or jegs or something. not ALL your parts have to come from a place like that.
You guys price match ebay auctions if they have a buy it now?

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
If you need an alignment, spend the $125 at Firestone for a lifetime alignment - then you can go back as many times as needed as you change out old parts for new over time.
If they let me pay the difference this time I will get the lifetime but I paid for the standard and they did the job with the bad parts so I called the district mgr and he is giving me a free alignment.

I am going to call Firestone and see if they will let me upgrade to the lifetime, & if so I will buy the two parts from Napa. If not I will buy the second set from ebay. Thanks guys.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.0 305 Carb'd
Axle/Gears: 3.23

we wont match ebay since they are private sellers and private businesses. but ebay is considered an "auction" even if it has a buy it now. but with ebay you dont always know what your gonna get. at an auto store you can actually put your hands on the part before you gotta buy it.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM

K so I got the center link and idler arm today. In the hardware bag for the center link I found some paper that said I need a tool to seat the tapers before I nut it? I looked up the part number for the tool and their is a few links to get the tool but no picture in any of them. Anyone know what this is and the best substitute if any? A picture?