Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Mystery Squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS, 87 T/A
Engine: 350 TBI, 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42/BW 3.45
Mystery Squeak?

So for the past two weeks i have been battling this mystery squeak that seems to be coming from the rear passenger tire.

This is what i know,

I replaced my rear end, its off an lt1 4th gen with 3.42s in it. The squeak did not show up untill after i had an axle seal replaced on it, it was the drivers side axle seal though and the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side.

Pushing up and down on the rear of the car does not produce the squeak, i need new shocks/struts and springs i just ordered them today.

My rear pads and rotors are brand new, the calipers are also rebuilt, i took the caliper off and now there seems to be a crunching noise when the brakes are applied so im just waiting to get a c clamp and reset the rotor.

The noise will only happen while the car is moving forward, in reverse there is nothing, no matter how fast im going in reverse i cant get the noise to be made.

And finally, with the exception of the crunching sound after i took the caliper off when the brakes are applied the noise goes away.

Its obviously something thats rotating, but it doesnt make sense to me that it only happens while the car is moving forward and not backwards.

Also there is minimal play in my axles there is more play in the passenger side but its not even much to begin with.

Thanks for any help guys, id really like to try and figure this out myself before i go crazy.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: H/C/I/E LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Re: Mystery Squeak?

Welcome to my world. My issue turned out to be a slightly bent axle on the passenger side. It happened with two different rears so I assumed it was a brake problem. Turned the rotors, put on new pads, cleaned everything up. The sound went away for a minute then back as annoying as ever.

Lifted the rear squeak is there only when in gear and only going forward and only when there is no brake pressure applied. Crunching sound when the brakes are applied. In neutral no squeak as the wheels spin. Spin the wheel by hand (pressure) and the squeak comes back. WTF!? So up on the lift it goes. Popped the wheel off and sure enough the rotor and wheel spacer are wobbling ever so slightly. You could watch the caliper barely sliding back and forth. Squeak, squeak, squeak. Laughing at me. Taunting me. Where's my grease? LOL

I'll deal with it for a couple of weeks as the car is going down to drop in an LS1 and T56 combo. I'll put new axles/bearings/seals in then.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's your issue too.

Last edited by Fastrnu; 08-24-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS, 87 T/A
Engine: 350 TBI, 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42/BW 3.45
Re: Mystery Squeak?

Im hoping that it is not that, how much would that cost to get fixed? and whats an easy way to tell if an axle is bent?