Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

front end steering rebuild... moog v. trw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Camaro and 1996 Mustang GT
Engine: 350 4bbl/281
Transmission: 700R4/4R70W
Axle/Gears: 9" rear/8.8" 4.10
front end steering rebuild... moog v. trw?

which brand has a better reputation?

from summit, i have in my cart, prothane a arm bushings, (all the following is moog) center link, inner tie rods, outer tierods, ball joints, and an idler arm for $445 plus the $11 shipping charge.

from advanced, i can get all trw for $278 plus the $31 a arm bushings from summit with a total of $309 plus $11 to ship the a arm bushings...

i am more concerned about quality than the $136 difference, b ut i wouldnt mind saving the money if the quality was the same or similar.

which option should i take???
Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: front end steering rebuild... moog v. trw?

Couldn't say about "reputation". I don't put much stock in that anyway. That's just monkey-spank.

I pay attention, mostly, to THE PARTS themselves.

Considering that both of those brand names are the property of Federal-Mogul, and the parts that come out of the box could be made either by them or by a number of other manufacturers (Dana, for example), I wouldn't say there's much difference.

Last time I needed a center link, I went to AutoZone, and they pulled a whatever brand one off the shelf; I opened the box, it was a Dana. Had the Dana logo forged right into it.

I went to Advance, and looked at a TRW one. Absolutely identical in every way, right down to the Dana logo.

Then I went down the road to NAPA. They have 2 product lines; their "budget" one, with like a 90-day warranty or some such, and their "premium" one, wiht a LLT. Near a doubling in the price. I had them pull both of them off the shefl, and I looked in both boxes. Guess what I saw.... yup, you called it, both were THE IDENTICAL SAME Dana part as both of the "discount" stores.

For the sway bar and CA bushings, I'd go with the Prothane. For BJs, tie rod ends, and such as that, either brand will be fine.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 camaro sport coupe
Engine: 2.8 MFI
Transmission: v6 700R4 wish it was a 5spd Stick
Axle/Gears: Stock non posi 3.42s

from what i have found is the difference is in the bushing material. cheapies use plastic and moog/napa premium/etc use metal.

that said i bought the cheapest crap ones from oreilly auto and they are still as stiff as when i bought them 10,000 miles ago, they have seen 2 winters and LOTS of farm roads so i dont think it makes much diffrence unless you race your car. the better ones may last more miles but if your on a budget the cheap ones will do fine.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Iroc, t-top
Engine: 5.0L HO L69
Transmission: Mt 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Non Posi, Alum Drums

I rebuilt mine using TRW. Reason? If I need a warranty replacement I can tool over to Advance and throw it across the counter and get another one.With Summit you either mail it or drive 50+ miles (a least for me)
Advance has never given me a problem with warranty for the few times I used them. Plus, cheaper means more $ goes to other stuff.