Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Sway bar bushing size problem (Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6
Sway bar bushing size problem (Searched)

Hi, I searched about sizes and spent about an hour reading different posts.

One thing I havent found is why do a lot of stores list 31.5 and 33mm as the 92 TA WS6 size for the sway bar bushings yet I keep reading that 92 WS6 cars came with 36mm sway bars.

I bought a 31.5 sway bar bushing, and sure enough it did not fit my sway bar. I fear that 32mm is not going to be close either. The 31.5mm (1 1/4 inch) bushing had at least couple of milimeters gap. I am not sure if I should order 33mm (what stores say I should have, and some don't even go that far), or should I find the 36mm one.

I am utterly confused.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Sway bar bushing size problem (Searched)

stores
list
WS6
Why will this USELESSNESS simply not GO AWAY???? It communicates NOTHING except the desire of the person using it, to spank off. (disclaimer - I, too, have it. Big whoop. I don't care, and I don't try to beat everybody in the world over the head with it. I don't attempt to use it to order parts, because it means NOTHING to a parts supplier.)

Screw all that. Measure your sway bar where the bushing goes on it (a Crescent wrench works great for this) and move directly to the measured quantity and place your order accordingly.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294812167
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

First of all, WTF are you talking about??

Secondly, if you think my post is usless, than your comment is that much more useless. IF you have nothing to say, than just move onto another thing.

I don't argue on the internet. I appreciate anyone that can help me, and if you get your panties in a bunch over this than don't read it, don't reply to it.

If you want to argue any further let me know that way we can, at least keep it in the PM's and not clutter the message boards with USELESS RAMBLINGS (such as yours).

Last edited by xlwhellraiser; 09-25-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

Mr Sofa, You know partner if it irritates you that much then simply just don't answer. But of course you just answered with you usual "back it up with science and theory" blindness.

xlwhellraiser, I will appologise for the misinformed and ill direction posts some members of this board inflict on others. You seek knowledge that will help you in future judgements of purchases. I will help you with that advice and explain why it may not be as you have seen in the listings you say you have research- Unlike Mr theory above has done, he wants you to go away with your trivial questions.

More than likely you may not be the original owner of the car and it very well likely could have been changed. Some cars have even been know to be changed at the dealership (mine is one of such). Armed with this knowledge that a 15 year old car may not have original parts on it, it is always advised to actually measure the units currently on your car. Autozone stocks and sells most sizes of Energy Suspension swaybar bushings and endlinks. I would suggest measuring it and going there to check those measurements against actual parts hanging on the racks.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

31.5mm (1 1/4 inch)
Useful.
32mm
Useful.
33mm
Useful.
36mm
Useful.
WS6
USELESS.Useful.

Thanks Dean. You're too kind today. I'm sure that your diatribe helped this gentleman click on the link I posted that contains sway bar bushings LISTED BY THEIR DIAMETER... which is of course, UNLIKE "WS6", USEFUL when buying parts.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Oh Dean, please don't forget....
Measure your sway bar where the bushing goes on it (a Crescent wrench works great for this)
Also useful.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

OK, sorry... now that we've got Dean out of the way, let me be more specific.

"WS6" is the useless part; not your post, as such. Quoting that RPO has become EXTREMELY popular lately, even though it doesn't really tell much of anything that really helps anybody. Nobody ever talked about it much, until the cars came out with the badges on them that said that (when was it, in about 98 or so); PRECISELY BECAUSE it doesn't really mean anything specific. So nobody really cared about it one way or the other, before that. Ever since then, it's become one of the most over-abused, overhyped, buzzwords you see. Kind of like various combinations of other words with "Vortec", or "Corvette", or "police interceptor", or "turbo".

But, the actual USEFUL piece of info you need, which will help you actually get what you need, is the sway bar diameter. "WS6" won't. So, take a Crescent wrench out to your sway bar, measure it, and buy the bushings that fit. Works much better than throwing around "reading about WS6" type stuff, which won't get you one .001" closer to having bushings in your hand that fit your sway bar.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Ever since then, it's become one of the most over-abused, overhyped, buzzwords you see.
Second only to "1LE".
Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Another one I left off is "HO"...

Again, sorry for not being clear about the "useless" part.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by xlwhellraiser
One thing I havent found is why do a lot of stores list 31.5 and 33mm as the 92 TA WS6 size for the sway bar bushings
Because some minimum wage data entry person put that in the book. Parts books are notoriously incorrect. I sold parts for years and lost count how many errors there are, especially of the type you're talking about. Getting those errors corrected is near impossible, and sometimes it'll revert back after a year or two. I take what I see in those books with grains of salt.

Your car should have a 36mm bar. Get a crescent wrench or similar and check it to make sure. Most of these cars have been through enough owners that odd things have been changed. When I was selling parts, having the part in hand was always the easiest way to provide the appropriate replacement. So definitely check what you've got now, its easy to get at and will save future headache.
----------
Another one I left off is "HO"...
Yes. My 1986 TPI is a "HO" engine, whatever that means. Says so right on the sticker on the lower fascia on the fender. Not sure where exactly the H is but they apparently didnt include it with the car or have a different definition of 'high'. It also doesnt differentiate it from the 26 or so 'HO' cars that were built that have a 4bbl carb instead of a TPI.

Last edited by madmax; 09-25-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member

I don't care how much that irritates you. The fact that I have a WS6 is something that I am going to use. The fact that if you search, everyone quotes 88-92 WS6 cars as having a certain sway bar. Forgive me for trying to make this simple.

Its ridiculous. I thought there was some kind of standard with these bars and thats what my question was based on.

I'll measure it and go from there, but man, here goes another usless post with people talking about everything else other than the subject. You know how many posts I read throught trying to find the answer? They were all going into this direction with everyone pretending to know everything and being all might and crap.

I think that all WS6's (YES I USED THAT TERM) 88 or 89 and up have the 36mm sway bar. I am not sure so, I'll get back to this post with some results.
Ofcourse its understandible that someone might have chaged the sway bar, so I udnerstand that measuring it is the best thing to do. However, if you are at the parts store trying to get sway bar bushings 2 minutes before they close, chances are that its a 36mm bar.

P.S. Thanks to everyone that actually answered my question.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Wrapped a freaking cord around the sway bar and by using a simple eqation I got the size. circumference divided by Pi=diameter. Didn't have a wrech big enough to calculate it the easy way. I got just a bit over 36mm but I took in account the user error and with few more measurements 36 was it.

Now, the problem, still... is that every place I look (including) summit sells 34mm as the biggest sway bar mounting bushing for our cars.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Banned

Lon has them at TDS.

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/pro...products_id=42
Old 09-26-2007, 02:46 AM
Supreme Member

Wow, a place I never thought of looking at. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

is that every place I look (including) summit sells 34mm as the biggest
No, that is not correct.

Right there on the page I linked you to....

This one right here, the very first one at the top of the page....

This is the problem with "listings", and why that's not the way to find those. It might or might not be "listed" for our cars; but that won't keep it from fitting and working. Either it IS a bushing of that design, or it ISN'T. The important thing about it that describes its ACTUAL critical property, the DIAMETER, is right there in plain sight.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 299 Likes on 235 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

No, that is not correct.

Right there on the page I linked you to....

This one right here, the very first one at the top of the page....

This is the problem with "listings", and why that's not the way to find those. It might or might not be "listed" for our cars; but that won't keep it from fitting and working. Either it IS a bushing of that design, or it ISN'T. The important thing about it that describes its ACTUAL critical property, the DIAMETER, is right there in plain sight.
You didnt have to be such a jackass in your original post dude. And the fact of the matter is that the Summit site doesnt list the sway bar diameter the way that he was informed. Also WS6 has been around much longer than 1998, it says "WS6" on the inside of my car.

xlwhellraiser, I too had a problem when I wanted to get new bushings for my car. WS6 on the thirdgen = 36mm swaybars, you are correct. I wound up getting my bushings from Gouldstrand before they were more commonly available besides going back to the dealer. You can also try Spohn and I think UMI for the poly bushings if you want them in red.
----------
Why will this USELESSNESS simply not GO AWAY???? It communicates NOTHING except the desire of the person using it, to spank off. (disclaimer - I, too, have it. Big whoop. I don't care, and I don't try to beat everybody in the world over the head with it. I don't attempt to use it to order parts, because it means NOTHING to a parts supplier.)

Screw all that. Measure your sway bar where the bushing goes on it (a Crescent wrench works great for this) and move directly to the measured quantity and place your order accordingly.
Originally Posted by madmax
Because some minimum wage data entry person put that in the book. Parts books are notoriously incorrect. I sold parts for years and lost count how many errors there are, especially of the type you're talking about. Getting those errors corrected is near impossible, and sometimes it'll revert back after a year or two. I take what I see in those books with grains of salt.
I would also like to point out that when I went to the auto parts store for a CUSTOM length belt for my serp setup I told the guy EXACTLY what length I needed and he kept asking what the application was for. Repeatedly I told him "custom application". As madmax stated these people do not know anything other than what the computer tells them.

Last edited by scooter; 09-26-2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one

Sofakingdom...

You're making yourself look like a juvenile "I think I know it all" retard. Leave people alone.

You've NEVER walked into a store like "yeah I need a starter for an 88 Camaro." ...?

YOU HAVE?!?!?!

OMG, YOU F'ING IDIOT! lolmfao, ANYBODY COULD HAVE CHANGED THE MOTOR IN THAT CAR BY NOW YOU DUMBA$$!!!! LMFAOXOXOX. DIDN'T YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL A 5.0 FROM A 5.7 FROM THE OUTSIDE?!!!!?

Yeah...

That's really how you look right now.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Man, I didn't think this would start a dumb argument. At this point I am just not even going to pay attention to sofakingdom.

Thanks guys for helping me out. I ended up getting the 36mm polyurethane bushings from Hawks. 18 bucks for a set.

Thanks again for helping me out.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 388 Carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Originally Posted by Dizturbed One
Sofakingdom...

You're making yourself look like a juvenile "I think I know it all" retard. Leave people alone.

You've NEVER walked into a store like "yeah I need a starter for an 88 Camaro." ...?

YOU HAVE?!?!?!

OMG, YOU F'ING IDIOT! lolmfao, ANYBODY COULD HAVE CHANGED THE MOTOR IN THAT CAR BY NOW YOU DUMBA$$!!!! LMFAOXOXOX. DIDN'T YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL A 5.0 FROM A 5.7 FROM THE OUTSIDE?!!!!?

Yeah...

That's really how you look right now.

Yah, we have to start telling the parts stores around me to stop asking what size motor I have in my car when I ask for suspension parts, or if I have the performance suspension option for that matter. When they ask what size motor I have in my car my usual reply is "Do you want to know what it has in there now or what it orginally came with?" Their response is usually "nevermind."
Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I just tell the parts jockies SOMETHING, like engine size, etc., when it doesn't apply to what I'm shopping for, to save time.

"I need new tires..."

"What size engine?"

Stupid stuff like that. Anything to speed things up. If you've got time, and really wanna confuse them, tell them you have a Hemi in your GM car! Or a Ford 429 in your Chrysler! That'll shut them up!

I always go to the same store, and they know me now, and don't argue when I ask for something that"doesn't fit MY car"...