Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Witch shocks and springs to choose??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Witch shocks and springs to choose??

Hi..

Anyone that could help me choosing new shocks and lowering springs for my 87 Camaro SC???

I have stock suspension now and it's time to change..I am also customizing my Camaro to an IROC...Then I need lowering springs and better shocks and a wonderbar..

Anyone with a good tip???...I don't need VERY low springs cause the road here in Norway is to bad for that...

I was thinking of something KYB or Tokico??..anyone familiar with them??
How about Intrax???

Please help me...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
Re: Witch shocks and springs to choose??

If you want my advice... here it is. Dont stop at shocks and springs. If you havent replaced control arm bushings, a-arm bushings, panhard bar bushings, and stuff like that, you should do that too. You dont have to do a total rebuild, or use poly if you dont want, but you will be surprised how far replacing that stuff will go. Tie rod ends, ball joints, strut mounts etc. If its worn out, replace it.

Now...if all of that is in good shape or after you decide what you want to replace, here is what I did for shocks and springs. Eibach pro kit gave me a nice drop, while keeping the ride comfy and keeping my undercarrige from scraping too much. If you want lower, they have a sportline kit that is lower.

For shocks, I went with Bilsteins. Simply because I use them on my jeep, and my previous car, and I know they are a good shock/strut. They have ones that are designed for lowered cars. If you want a good source for cheap bilstiens, PM me.

Thats just my opinion anyway... Koni's are good too. I only mention replacing other parts, because I couldnt believe the world of difference doing that to my car made. So much tighter and so much more responsive. That with the new springs and shocks made it a canyon carver. It handled good before..but now...it'll hurt you in the bends

Justin